I want to celebrate this! (hoping I can do this here) - Mothering Forums
Parenting the Gifted Child > I want to celebrate this! (hoping I can do this here)
tribalmax's Avatar tribalmax 04:38 PM 08-31-2012

Hi there, 

My two are 8 and 4. We have always homeschooled. Recently we enrolled in a virtual school. The school does a start of the year placement test. I was unsure about how they would do on because we have never tested at all.

But they did great! :) Yeah! I feel like I can't really celebrate this news with most of our friends. I feel cautious about sharing my good news because I don't want to make anyone feel badly -- especially our friends whose children are struggling academically.

I am hoping it is ok to share here -- do a happy dance and revel in this a little. :)

Cora, who is 8 tested at a 6th grade reading level (she should be in 3rd grade).  I suspect her reading level is a little higher -- she got pretty anxious during the test and shut down a little. I am so proud of her.

Tobin, who is 4, tested at a 3rd grade reading level (he should be in pre-K).

Yeah!! :) It is a nice validation of my efforts in homeschooling as well as it is a sign of their intelligence. :)

Thanks for reading this and letting me celebrate!!

Rachel

ollyoxenfree's Avatar ollyoxenfree 02:03 PM 09-01-2012

It's lovely when they are doing well, isn't it. Best wishes with the new virtual schooling. 

rightkindofme's Avatar rightkindofme 07:45 AM 09-02-2012

Everyone has reasons they worry about their kids. It's nice that you don't have to worry about them learning how to read. :)

pitchfork's Avatar pitchfork 04:45 PM 09-07-2012

I was recently told by a gifted/special needs teacher that she has found it is socially acceptable to brag about our kids athletic abilities, or even talk about their challenges, but it's taboo often to talk about their giftedness. 

Congrats.  It's a nice feeling.

zebra15's Avatar zebra15 02:27 PM 09-08-2012

Congrats !

Up