i need some advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is in third grade and gifted. Our school has no gifted program nd he was getting very bored so the school did some testing g per my request at the beginning of 2 nd grade. At which time we could have grade skipped and chose not to I stead he went to 3rd grade math and they let him read when through with his work.. we are now almost 4 weeks into 3rd grade and after many attempts by me he teacher finally called me back and said he can go to 4th grade math but in order to do so will miss pe art music and computer lab or retake 3 rd grade math when he already got an a I. It last year. She was not very helpful
my two ideas are him getting a tutor after school and them helping g to supply the curriculum. I recently went back to work and do not pick him up untill 5. He is I. An After schoolnprogrram there. Or trying to attend pe music computer lab and art with another class. I am not okay at all with repeating 3rd grade math neither is his dad
help. And I apologize for typify g on my kindle I hope you can understand my post..

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM

What about a grade skip now?  Obviously he can't repeat third grade math and its not acceptable to miss art, PE and music.  

If you don't want a skip, another alternative is to have your son take an online math class.  My son is doing one called Art of Problem Solving, and gets to do the homework in class.  Your son is younger and ALEKS is another program (and cheaper) that your son might be able to work on in class, or go to the tech lab. 

#3 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Can he do the 4th grade math on his own in class (which I know is not ideal) or use an online program like Study Island, Learning Upgrade or Aleks during math time in his class? The district may already have a subscription to these programs which is why I suggested them. Obviously, there are other computer-based programs he could use. He could also only go to 4th grade for math a few days a week so he gets his "specials" time in with his class or he could do specials with the 4th graders (I'm assuming the subjects you mentioned rotate in one particular time slot.... when do the 4th graders do that?... does it happen to be around the 3rd grade math period?)

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought of that that is such a good idea it would totally solve the problem would it be up to school to pay for program or me and are there any free or reduced?

#5 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom31 View Post

I never thought of that that is such a good idea it would totally solve the problem would it be up to school to pay for program or me and are there any free or reduced?

You know, I don't know how every state or district works. Personally, my kids have used all three of the programs I mentioned (and others) for acceleration through the school and the school paid for it (it was used by lots of kids for a variety of reasons.) Some districts have virtual schooling options within their district, I would ask about it and see if your child would be allowed to log-on during 3rd grade math. I know of some schools that will pay for CTY programs but they are very expensive. 

I'm not positive you could force an unwilling school to invest in a program if they do have already given the option of subject acceleration to your child (though a poor option as he'd miss other valuable activities and sounds like he's STILL have to sit through 3rd grade math period.) If the district has a middle school though, they may already have a subscription somewhere in the district and could arrange for him to get access through them. Work looking into.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#6 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 04:50 PM

We had to pay for our son's online math class.  It will be pretty pricey over the year (two separate classes), but there are cheaper ones.  Even if you end up paying for Aleks, that's only $20/month.

#7 of 21 Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

The school should be able to accommodate your kiddo.  There is no reason he can't go take 4th grade math and still get his specials as well (PE/art/ library/ tech).

As a short term solution you can get workbooks to supplement for DS. Barnes and Noble and Amazon have math workbooks by grade level.

http://www.amazon.com/Math-Gifted-Student-Challenging-Activities/dp/1411434366/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347426321&sr=8-1&keywords=math+for+the+gifted+student+grade+4

http://www.amazon.com/Math-Grade-Spectrum-Thomas-Richards/dp/0769636942/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347426363&sr=1-1&keywords=spectrum+math+grade+4

http://www.amazon.com/Mental-Math-Grade-Level-Calculation/dp/1936024101/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347426397&sr=1-9&keywords=math+grade+4

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 21 Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Well what options have you? A grade skip, online classes or... What do you think would be best? What would your son like?

Our son PJ started school last year. And when all of the kids were learning their phonics (most of the kids couldn't even say the alphabet) he was reading books and reciting poetry! We actually pulled him out of school to home school him. His school had no program for gifted kids and the teachers had no idea how to deal with him. Petey was bored for the entire year and all he did was complain. He actually came home to me saying the other kids were idiots (we had words with him about the use of that word) and all he did all day was draw pictures... and he produced a backpack full of pages with pretty good doodles too! This year we do about 2 hours of work in the mornings, 5 days a week and spend the rest of the day as we please. The school year has just started and we haven't done much yet, but we intend to go to museums, galleries etc. and he does swimming, judo and is about to start art lessons! It just makes so much more sense to homeschool him. He's much happier too!

Alyssa, married to the love of my life Bear treehugger.gif (step-daughter) Aphotosmile2.gif, Our little man P violin.gif, (step-son) Little LREPlaySkateboard04HL.gifand May 2013- TWINS angel.gif 1sttri.gif

#9 of 21 Old 09-13-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I wish I could homeschool- I am a single divorced mom.  I have managed to stay at home mostly the last few years but I had to get a job- we just were living so so close to the limit- very close... I rarely had enough money for gas to even go to the store- so now...

The school is going to put him in 4th grade math- he will miss 10 minutes of specials ( not the entire class- for some reason the teacher made it sound worse then it was.  They have just started a fast math group he can be in and they have an AR program the school just bought that is really for the lower students but they can use it for him and put it just a few grade levels above-

I spoke to the principal and he was very nice and accomodating and we had a great conversation- I hope this is a good start  We are in this school until 5th grade.

Thanks mamas.

We are going to look into programs like you talked about to use here at home to.

Does anyone have a private tutor for their kids?  I have considered seeing if this does not work if maybe hiring a tutor a few afternoons a week would be a good idea.

#10 of 21 Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I wish I could homeschool- I am a single divorced mom.  I have managed to stay at home mostly the last few years but I had to get a job- we just were living so so close to the limit- very close... I rarely had enough money for gas to even go to the store- so now...

The school is going to put him in 4th grade math- he will miss 10 minutes of specials ( not the entire class- for some reason the teacher made it sound worse then it was.  They have just started a fast math group he can be in and they have an AR program the school just bought that is really for the lower students but they can use it for him and put it just a few grade levels above-

I spoke to the principal and he was very nice and accomodating and we had a great conversation- I hope this is a good start  We are in this school until 5th grade.

Thanks mamas.

We are going to look into programs like you talked about to use here at home to.

Does anyone have a private tutor for their kids?  I have considered seeing if this does not work if maybe hiring a tutor a few afternoons a week would be a good idea.

Rather than looking to a private tutor, I'm wondering if there are some math-rich extra-curriculars or co-curriculars that the school might be willing to sponsor. Possibly as part of the afterschooling that he attends. Mathletes, robotics, science club..... It sounds like the school is accommodating and wants to provide enrichment. Consider whether he would benefit more from a wider, deeper exploration and some hands-on applied math rather than a traditional approach to advancing through the curriculum at a rapid pace. Not that there's anything wrong with moving ahead several levels if he's capable. It's just that there are other options that might be less costly and provide equal or greater benefits. 

#11 of 21 Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wonder if talking to higher up administrators could help?  Seems like there's got to be something that would work.  My sister and I went to a VERY small rural school, and they still managed to accomodate her when she was in third grade, but what the teacher did was give her different work than the other kids.  They had folders for their work/homework and my sister was given 1)more and 2) harder work.  I was at that school when I was in high school, not elementary, so I just took harder classes.  Anyway, I guess it worked out well for her.  I wonder if possibly the *SCHOOL* could manage some sort of "tutor" or alone time with the teacher for 10 minutes to learn a new math lesson and then give him practice work?  Since I got my master's in ed, they seem to have moved toward more and more opportunities for the teacher to work with small groups, in general.  This is how I was taught to teach... this is how they're "supposed" to be doing it these days.  I might push for some of that.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#12 of 21 Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:

go with a proper tutoring service - those who are trained in tutoring and use a lot of manipulatives say in math. 

it is an excellent idea. we see them at our libraries working with other kids. i have never been able to afford them but i would if i could. its because of their personalities and their manipulatives. 

in fact they were so nice as dd hung around particularly a couple of them, that they allowed dd to sit in with their kids once in a while. 

but the key is not just a high school kid looking for some extra money (that might be fun too). instead i'd get a service.

however if you do want to hire someone why not try another language?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#13 of 21 Old 09-16-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I like that idea. He has been talking about another language for years and I looked into Rosetta stone. We live in a rural area but thirty mi Utes from a university. I will look into that for sure

#14 of 21 Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Oh I like that idea. He has been talking about another language for years and I looked into Rosetta stone. We live in a rural area but thirty mi Utes from a university. I will look into that for sure

if you can get a native speaker. have your ds and her go play together when she/he speaks only in that language. no proper classes. maybe rhymes and walks and conversation will help a LOT. 

if i could that is what i would do for dd. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#15 of 21 Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I will for sure look into it- I don't have a ton of money- I am a single divorced mom but just got a job that pays over minimum wage for the first time ever and want to see what I can afford to do for them extra.

#16 of 21 Old 09-18-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

He went to 4th grade math starting yesterday and last night was tough- they were doing borrowing and he did not remember how to do it( nor do I think they did it in 3rd grade math) the teacher sent me a note home that he had trouble- and he told me as well

So I taught him how to do it and sent the teacher a note back....( this is 3rd grade teacher- who I am really not a fan of at the moment)

Today I got a call from the 4th grade math teacher and she said he did awesome and even raised his hand and answered questions correctly in class

He got a 100% on his homework.

He then after school at the after school program was so excited about his math work he went to the homework room to do it- and THEN made up problems to do himself.

YAY!

Hopefully the 3rd grade teacher gets on board....

Is it petty to be annoyed she continues to spell his name wrong?

#17 of 21 Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

He went to 4th grade math starting yesterday and last night was tough- they were doing borrowing and he did not remember how to do it( nor do I think they did it in 3rd grade math) the teacher sent me a note home that he had trouble- and he told me as well

So I taught him how to do it and sent the teacher a note back....( this is 3rd grade teacher- who I am really not a fan of at the moment)

Today I got a call from the 4th grade math teacher and she said he did awesome and even raised his hand and answered questions correctly in class

He got a 100% on his homework.

He then after school at the after school program was so excited about his math work he went to the homework room to do it- and THEN made up problems to do himself.

YAY!

Hopefully the 3rd grade teacher gets on board....

Is it petty to be annoyed she continues to spell his name wrong?

Yay for 4th grade math! I'm confused, though, about the borrowing? Do you mean regrouping? I know my dd2 did that last year in public school in 2nd grade. This year in 3rd grade they're working on multiplication. 

Yes, I'd be annoyed about spelling his name wrong, too!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#18 of 21 Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

In math borrowing is what they. Call it when subtracting larger numbers. Like 20.00-15.49

#19 of 21 Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

They multiplied last year.

#20 of 21 Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:

In math borrowing is what they. Call it when subtracting larger numbers. Like 20.00-15.49

Yeah, borrowing is the older term for what is usually now called regrouping. I too am surprised it wasn't covered in 2nd grade, but all schools are different, I suppose.

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
#21 of 21 Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I think they may have and he forgot I guess our school is behind your school since they are doing this in fourth grade and still calling it borrowing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page