fifth birthday ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my daughter has a friend who is pretty darn smart. my DD is almost a full year older and this kid is, in some ways, ahead of her. (in others, not so much, but that's another story)

she doesn't get much stimulation or parental focus at home. all the kids (brothers) are homeschooled and mom works nights while dad is on disability. so most of what she does is playing pretend with boys or video games. 

she loves arts and crafts, books, board games, etc. but mom isn't into cleaning up messes, so everything is very controlled. she doesn't get much chance to just explore. 

attempting to think of a gift for her b-day in 3 weeks. needs ideas, since i don't want to just give her another pink jewelry box or  my little pony. 

i am not adverse to making something, i am considering a busy basket for her. 

TIA!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#2 of 4 Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hm. A few crafty ideas that aren't too, too messy: 

-Pattern blocks

-Tangrams

-Origami - there are simple books and kits for preschool and kindy age

-Knitting looms

Games - I guess it depends on whether there is an adult who can help her learn the rules at first, but a couple of ideas: 

-Mancala - an ancient African strategy board game played with coloured beads. I'm pretty sure my DD was about that age when we first started to play it with her.  

-Chess - a little more complicated, but there are kids who start playing at that age

umami_mommy likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

she told me she wants megnetix. like we have. but of course they don't make them anymore cause so many kids swallowed them. 

i'm gonna go see if i can find something similar at the toy store. 

anymore ideas??? 

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Buckyballs are similarly magnetic. They're no longer sold in toy stores because they're not considered safe for children because of that swallowing thing, but you can get them as "executive toys." A set of balls and a set of bars would be very similar to small Magnetix. My middle dd got a set of balls for her 11th birthday and she and her then-6-year-old sister (and the rest of us) have had hours of fun with them.

www.getbuckyballs.com

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page