Kapla Blocks (xposted) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Kiddo is 12, a major Lego fanatic.  I'm really looking to expand our building tools here.  Snap circuits don't interest him.  Knex are a giant NO.  Marble runs never held his interest.  He loves origami.  He loves building.  He's used Kapla Blocks at the science center but there are usually so many dang kids around my own kiddo can't finish a project or concentrate.

My basic questions:

1. Why are these things so dang expensive?  They look like popsicle sticks

2. Do your kids like them, do you think my kid would?

3. How many do you realistically need?

4. Does the color make a difference?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#2 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I think they're too expensive. There are knock-offs, but they're spendy for the good knock-offs and not precise enough for the cheap ones. My kids enjoy them at the science museum, but I've never bought 'em because I'm too cheap.

Here are some of the knock-offs:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_toys-and-games?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=CITIBLOCS&node=165793011

http://www.kevaplanks.com

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

DS loves kapla blocks and there is a box ready for the kids as a birthday present (#3's birthday, not the older kids - in our house, newborns give presents!). They had a 1000 box at his old preschool and he says that they would regularly use them all up for their projects. I balked at the expense, though, they're getting a 270 box for starters. 

I hope they will last our kids a long time, but I am not sure how much mileage a 12yo would get out of them, to be honest (though I seem to remember that recently someone mentioned a 14yo still taking part in family projects at Christmas time, I'll try to find a link to that thread).

How about getting him into REAL building? Carpentry, welding, proper tools? At 12, he is beginning to be old enough. Is there some heritage society around that is volunteering to renovate a historic building?

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#4 of 6 Old 09-26-2012, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
#5 of 6 Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have Kapla and Keva Contraptions.  When we bring them out every couple of months, the kids have a blast playing with them for a couple of hours, but get bored with them--so they aren't something they would play with everyday or even once or twice a week.

But, I think it's because the boys are so young (5 and 3)--so I imagine when they get older, they'll enjoy them more (dh and I love them).

I think the Keva Contraptions are generally cheaper than Kapla blocks--but not positive.

#6 of 6 Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We use citiblocs. I think they are made out of Pine and not hardwood, but they are just right for us. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page