Foreign language reading program - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-29-2012, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there, 

this might be a really weird question. As you know, we are german and live in germany. DD does not speak english, but I would like her to. I am a bit lazy though and do not really know how to start teaching it to her - whatever I am babbling ;)

There are so many nice programs like starfall and stuff like that online. All in english though. 

Do you think it would hurt to let her do them? Although she cannot yet read german ? Do I overthink? 

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#2 of 11 Old 09-29-2012, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post
Do I overthink? 

Yes!smile.gif

Just like I did at that stage. This is the thread I had about it., with more ideas for you: 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1344887/keeping-an-emerging-reader-busy-on-the-computer/20

Get the subscription to the more interesting starfall stuff and let her go to town.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#3 of 11 Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Get the subscription to the more interesting starfall stuff and let her go to town.

Where can I find it? I looked around on the starfall site but could find nothing to subscribe or even indicating that there is more somewhere ...

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

#4 of 11 Old 09-29-2012, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

To answer your question, doing starfall isn't going to hurt her but since you do speak the language, it'll go much faster if you just use it with her during normal day-to-day life. An hour a day while doing something routine would get her up to speed pretty fast. It is much easier to learn to read a language you already have some conversational ability in.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#5 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triniity View Post

Where can I find it? I looked around on the starfall site but could find nothing to subscribe or even indicating that there is more somewhere ...

Hmm...being a subscriber, the website may look different to me, but I cannot find the link either - maybe if you click on "more starfall" in the top right corner, they'll ask you to subscribe? It was 32 $ for a year, but DS (and DD, who loves to watch!) gets his money's worth of fun (an learning English) out of it.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#6 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post

To answer your question, doing starfall isn't going to hurt her but since you do speak the language, it'll go much faster if you just use it with her during normal day-to-day life. An hour a day while doing something routine would get her up to speed pretty fast. It is much easier to learn to read a language you already have some conversational ability in.

This never worked for us. Whatever we do, unless I have the situation verbally under control, things go downhill fast - I cannot afford during the day to have to spend time and energy for DS to figure out what I'm saying, it's hard enough to keep things runnung more or less smoothly without it. But we tried playing with hand puppets at bedtime, a cat we said was from England and a squirrel from New York City and while DS loved the play, conversational ability never took off - he basically never answered. However, he is clearly learning with starfall and repeating after the computer voices. Go figure!

#7 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 03:57 AM

Check out Sesame Street as well. I learned a lot of Turkish as a teenager watching the Turkish version of it.
#8 of 11 Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

Check out Sesame Street as well. I learned a lot of Turkish as a teenager watching the Turkish version of it.

Hi Geofizz, can I ask how you watched Susam Sokagi? I've seen it myself in Turkey, but I don't know how to get ahold of it here in the states. I've looked online but haven't found full episodes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

mom to bug, cute-poo, and peanut

www.soyoumarriedaturk.blogger.com

#9 of 11 Old 02-21-2013, 03:03 AM

We have recently discovered Pocoyo - both DS and DD love it! And they are both understanding more and more English. Available on youtube by pocoyousa.

#10 of 11 Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurunannesi View Post

Hi Geofizz, can I ask how you watched Susam Sokagi? I've seen it myself in Turkey, but I don't know how to get ahold of it here in the states. I've looked online but haven't found full episodes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I watched it from Istanbul. wink1.gif. I was an exchange student there when I was 17. I lived with a host family, and I was the first to get home each day. I watched Susam Sokagi each day after school.

Let me ask around for ways to see it in the States. I'd kinda like to see the orange big bird again myself!
#11 of 11 Old 03-17-2013, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the suggestions!

will look into pocoyo for sure (sesame street creeps me out ...) shy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page