Extremely gifted child not doing well in Stanford Binet and maybe other standardized tests - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

First let me preface that what is most important to me is that my child is happy and healthy, but I don't want him to be bored when he enters school, either.  He took his test with the psychologist (a mature male) this week while he was sick with a cold and a low fever, which might have affected the score a bit, and though he is extremely verbal and outgoing with family and close people, he can be very shy and uncommunicative with strangers (especially men that he doesn't know). The bottom line, is he scored 130 and this is a kid who knew his alphabet by 18 months, spelled and wrote well, by 2 1/2 and reading before he was 3 (now at 4 3/4 he reads at about a 3rd grade level). He is already doing addition and subtraction and this is all self motivated--never pushed him with anything. 2 days after the test we are sitting at the table and he starts counting backwards from 100 by 2's, 3's, etc. to 9's!  Crazy stuff!  Just want to know if anyone knows that if in NYC, if he ends up not testing well on the other G&T tests and goes to regular kindergarten, will the teachers do anything to get the word out so he will be placed in a more stimulating situation?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IQ testing before the age of six or seven is notoriously unreliable. It might make sense to wait for a few years, and then test again.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

A 130 on the SB5 is different than a 130 on the WPSSI in terms of "level," although I don't know about thresholds for program entry.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

User Tag List