Anyone with information on Explore test? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We debated and have decided to sign DD8 up to take the Explore test in February through NUMATS.  We are curious how she can do on an above level test and are thinking if she does well we can use her test results toward an application to DYS.  We have concerns that she will struggle staying focused for what will probably be about 3 hours of testing, so we plan to do some things with her at home like practicing a 30 minute timed test, etc.  DD also has issues with new, unknown places.  When she goes somewhere she has never been she has to check everything out before she can settle in.  We hope once we find out where she will be testing we can let her in beforehand to get all that out of her system, otherwise, I'm sure she will be looking around the room instead of working on her test.  Does anyone have experience with the Explore test that can give us some ideas of how it works and what we made need to go over with DD?

#2 of 2 Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd did the Explore when she was 9 thru Duke Tip.  We did it so she could skip the state mandated testing for homeschoolers. wink1.gif

I've heard kids say that they felt like they did not have enough time to do the math.  Mine said it was easy and she could do it in her sleep.  I think she did do it in her sleep as it was lower than her other scores, and she's a very mathy girl.  LOL  We didn't do any preparation other than let her try the practice problems that came with her paperwork when she signed up.  She didn't find it too tiring.  I don't think it was 3 hours, or if it was they took a lot of breaks.  That was 5 years ago, so my memory is hazy.  

If she has done any standardized testing I don't think she will find it too strange.  My dd had done very little testing before this experience, only one ITBS test for 3rd grade.  She did very well, just lower than expected in math.  I would just tell her a little about the format of the test, the different subjects covered, let her try a few practice questions, and tell her to relax and have fun.  Let her know not to waste huge amounts of time on a question if it confuses her, but just go on.  I don't think there is any penalty for guessing.

My dd went with a friend.  The other mom and I sat and chatted while they tested, then we all went out for lunch and ice cream.  My dd thought it was a fun day. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page