On the topic of milestone charts... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thoughts on this one, with milestones advanced by 30% to reflect a more "typical" timeline of gifted children?

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10106.aspx

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#2 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

You know, I dislike these sort of lists in regards to gifted children. I read in one book that gifted children can be as different from each other as they are their average age-mates. For me, that's been incredibly true. My kids test in the same percentile and couldn't have developed any more different. I had one talking at 4 months, the other didn't say anything until close to 2. One was smiling at 3 weeks, the other I swear didn't crack a smile until at least 4 months old. I had one writing and drawing well at 2, the other could barely scrawl his name at 5. One loved books so much it was the first thing she crawled to at 7 months and she proceeded to sit for 45 minutes leafing through every page in her book shelf. I swear, my 12-year-old has still yet to spend 45 minutes straight with any book lol. I have one fiercely competitive and one that avoids it at all costs. One persistent, the other gives up quickly. They are also, as individuals, all over the place on that list with both having areas they were well over the "advanced" mark and areas they were below the normal mark. 

Of course, it could be my kids are atypical gifted developers and so I should just keep my mouth shut lol. I do recognize why these lists exist. If your child is hitting all those marks, I could see it being helpful. If your child is not hitting normal on most things, I could see it being helpful. However, if you have kids like mine who are all over the map, it's wise not to take them too seriously or you'll go crazy.

grumpybear likes this.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

I think that's a really silly chart, and I'd have expected better from the Davidson Institute. All they've done is taken the average age-of-mastery for a slew of milestones (including gross motor, which have only a faint correlation with giftedness), and multiplied by 0.7. So they're not even subtracting a statistical "30% of children" but rather "30% of an average child's age." 

They're right of course in the preamble: you need to look at the big picture and take into account culture, environment, temperament and other individual factors. But I disagree about the important of obsessively documenting minor milestones and comparing to that chart.

I'm with whatsnextmom on this one. In fact I would go so far as to say that as different as gifted kids are from the non-gifted population, they're even more different from each other. Asynchronicity is a hallmark of giftedness, but when you compare one asynchronous kid with another [potentially oppositely] asynchronous kid the differences become extreme. My eldest (19) has a lifelong gifted friend who is the yin to her yang. One of them was reading proper novels at 4, the other didn't read at all until almost 10. One didn't speak more than half a dozen words until well beyond her second birthday, the other was putting together four- and five-word sentences by 14 months. Both girls have IQs in the 140-150 range.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 4 Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

I think that's a really silly chart,

and

Asynchronicity is a hallmark of giftedness, but when you compare one asynchronous kid with another [potentially oppositely] asynchronous kid the differences become extreme. 

Miranda

Yes.  I was surprised when I came across it.  Five minutes here will tell you that while there are some common experiences, everyone's children certainly are all over the map and often strikingly different in when they do what (and how they do it!).   

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page