Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

These made me laugh, for anyone who hasn't read them before

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/parent_of.htm

My contributions?

"You know you are the parent of a gifted child, when..."

...you are browsing haematology textbooks on amazon for her 4th birthday 

...your child asks if she can get a toy while you're  thrifting, she passes by racks and shelves of toys and dolls and zeros in on a box of "telling time" flashcards and begs to have them

...you tell her you think you're coming down with a cold and she sympathetically tells you there are no vaccinations for the cold virus but that if you get plenty of rest and fluids you should feel better in a few days. 

...Your kid is trying to memorize the periodic table while her friends are working on the alphabet

...You often have songs by They Might be Giants stuck in your head instead of twinkle twinkle (The sun is a mass of incandescent gas....or a miasma of incandescent plasma, as the case may be)

...every day starts with a grand scheme, plan or query

...Her library books cover topics such as energy, levers, atoms, dna...and Curious George lol.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#2 of 13 Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

i read the link and yet was amazed with some of the stories i could not help to know that most of the information these children know and memorize is because of exposure right?

my 2 year old knows his alphabet and can identify, can count to 20, knows body parts, bird names(we live around a lot of different birds),berry names,can do a 48 piece jigsaw puzzle,and knows some kimya dawson songs.........i don't consider him gifted. we expose him to a multitude of ideas and things ,i am a school teacher by trade.

i am not trying to argue...just saying.

#3 of 13 Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

...just saying.

Just saying what, exactly?

I'm not sure I understand you. I'd like to be clear on your thoughts and position about giftedness before I respond. If you have time and care to, please elaborate a little, Thanks. 

Oh, and Katico, those are cute anecdotes! Thanks for sharing smile.gif

#4 of 13 Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

i often wonder about the definition of giftedness as a teacher and with an amazing son who loves to learn. yes, i do believe some are "gifted "but mostly are "bright".

This is an interesting link and chart I have read ...http://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/771 and http://www.bownet.org/BESGifted/brightvs.htm.

thanks for asking for clarification.

and katico,thanks for feeling comfortable to share your thoughts.....this is why i love motheringsmile.gif .

#5 of 13 Old 04-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

i often wonder about the definition of giftedness as a teacher and with an amazing son who loves to learn. yes, i do believe some are "gifted "but mostly are "bright".

This is an interesting link and chart I have read ...http://www.learnnc.org/lp/pages/771 and http://www.bownet.org/BESGifted/brightvs.htm.

thanks for asking for clarification.

and katico,thanks for feeling comfortable to share your thoughts.....this is why i love motheringsmile.gif .

Well, since that is where you are coming from, I suppose we should start with the Guidelines for posting in the Parenting the Gifted Forum: 

MDC does not subscribe to a singular definition of giftedness. We ask that participants be respectful of differences of opinions regarding definitions and parenting approaches to giftedness. It is our goal for the Gifted forum to maintain a supportive and welcoming atmosphere for everyone. 

#6 of 13 Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

...You often have songs by They Might be Giants stuck in your head instead of twinkle twinkle (The sun is a mass of incandescent gas....or a miasma of incandescent plasma, as the case may be)

We have that album... and I learned an awful lot.  lol.gif

...your friend comes over, sees a calc book and assumes you're taking a college course because your kids are all under 10yo.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#7 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 AM

I  am not able to understand what actually you want to know. so, please try to define it properly.

#8 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh wow, I just checked out the link.  I loved the goldfinch one that was submitted by Suzanne. My older daughter couldn't really speak at 22 months, and I think she had one word for many different things.  I can't remember when my younger daughter started speaking, but it seemed like it was within the normal timeframe for such things.

Sachi, welcome to Mothering.  My interpretation of what the original poster is asking is when you have an intellectually gifted child, what were some things that made you realize you were dealing with something beyond typical development.  Most people's 4 year olds would not want books about hematology for their 4th birthday.  I'm not sure there is a specific definition for giftedness, although most school districts define it based on the scores of the tests they give.

#9 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have to say, reading over that list, I think people are submitting things that their kids have done that are funny.  Or maybe I am missing something.  Some of those are really interesting, I must say, but they all don't strike me the same way. I am talking about the linked page, not anything that was said here. smile.gif

#10 of 13 Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

I read a lot of the list not as "you know your child is gifted when they..." but more as.... sometimes, it strikes you how hilariously different life can be when your kid is gifted. i.e. the topics of conversation, the things you find yourself doing as a family, the things they say or can do, that become your "normal".  

So, I wasn't really inviting discussion of how you knew your child was gifted, just acknowledgement of how life can look really different in your house sometimes.  

i.e. I noted above how our library books tend to be pretty heavy science and we think nothing about the fact that our dd's bed and bedroom and piled with books about atoms and levers and  the big bang and dinosaurs and anatomy... but last week, my cleaning lady said to me "you know...the reading material around here is really weird!"  HA!  lol.gif

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#11 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Maybe a little further reference to the guidelines is in order:

The Parenting the Gifted Child forum is a board of support, respectful requests of information, and sharing of ideas and experiences as they relate to parenting a gifted child.

You do not have to ask anything. You can just share, joining together in enjoying the wild ride we're on.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#12 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM

So in the spirit in which I believe this thread was intended, here is my entry!

You know you are the parent of a gifted child when, for their birthday they ask for a fog machine and a large garbage can to recreate a demonstration/physics concept they saw at a physics demonstration at the local state college (with some alterations made to be able to blow smoke rings).  Seriously I knew the minute we left the auditorium, that she was going to ask for those items.  Actually, I know the minute the demonstration happened!   biglaugh.gifSeriously funny!

I can't remember what I wanted/asked for when I was turning 13....do any of you?  But I know it wasn't anything like that.......orngbiggrin.gif

Another.....You know you are the parent of a gifted child when they wake up early to do origami (and other math related art projects), or want to stay up late, just to cut of paper to form in the shape of coned-shaped fingertips.....just because it's fun to plan, do, and try to pick stuff up, scare the cats, etc...

Love the unique creature that is my DD!

Becky, mom to two - DD ('00) and DS ('08)
#13 of 13 Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viola View Post

I have to say, reading over that list, I think people are submitting things that their kids have done that are funny.  Or maybe I am missing something.  Some of those are really interesting, I must say, but they all don't strike me the same way. I am talking about the linked page, not anything that was said here. smile.gif

Yeah, I think you're missing something. orngbiggrin.gif There is a format of joke that goes, "You might be a [insert any group here] if [insert something funny here]." It's for making jokes about one's own group, sometimes self-deprecating. I think the joke trend was started by Jeff Foxworthy, a stand-up comedian who does the you might be a redneck jokes, e.g. you might be a redneck if... your dog has a beer belly... you've ever given your wife earrings that double as fishing lures... you've ever cut your grass and found a car, etc.

It strikes me as kind of a USA thing, so that might be why some people are confused.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page