Mothering Forum banner

The gifted frustrated 4 year old boy of mine!

715 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Linda on the move 
#1 ·
I did not even see this thread. So awesome. I want to share my feelings.

My 4 and half year old is very bright. I am not sure if he is gifted or what, we havent actually had him tested, but he is bright alright. He is wanting to do his tables already...
greensad.gif
. We have been homeschooling him, and he does not know school. BUT, off late he has been driving me up the walls. He is frustrated, he does not want to be home ever, and will throw a huge strop if we go home esp from friends or my parents home. So hubby and I put our heads together and we decided to put him in school for the rest of the school year(our year goes from Jan-Dec). And see how it goes! Perhaps he will be less frustrated, perhaps he will be ready to continue homeschooling, perhaps he will continue in school. I struggle to keep up with him. He loves doing many things, but he does not want to learn to read and write. Perhaps it is my lack of skill in teaching him not sure. He is a sweet little boy, and I worry for him, as I remember my school days as a softer, more introverted child, but I must remember that I should not compare my experience to his.

Once he is in school, should I do a bit more with him when he is home, or just let him play? He is going to a Montesorri based school now, and is going to a regular public school next year for his Grade 0 year. Any thoughts. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would say let him play when he his home, he learns different things through different types of activity. Obviously you will still be teaching him through his life, but I don't think you have to do anything formal if he is already in school. When he gets into tougher academics, there will be plenty of time will you will be working with him at home. Just my opinion. :)

#4 ·
I think it is too young to worry about reading and writing. At that stage, I think that reading TO him is important. Running your fingers under the words helps him learn little things, such as we read from left to right. Developing a love for the written word is more important that reading itself.

Neither of my kids were earlier readers, but once the started, they REALLY took off.

He might enjoy memorizing nursery rhymes or short poems with you, or playing games with sounds such as guessing what you are thinking of that starts with the a certain sound. Playing around with sounds is an important pre-reading skill, and kids who are good at these kinds of activities tend to have an easier time learning to read when the time comes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.