Is My Son Gifted??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-10-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this question has been posted on this forum many times, but I figured I would ask myself.  Is my son gifted?  We have been wondering about this since he was about 2 years old.  He has shown the following:

1.  He learned to use the family Mac and Windows machines at home.  He learned how to open windows, enter the first letter of what he was looking for, for example, on youtube he would enter "coo" and youtube would autocomplete cookie monster and he would start to watch cookie monster videos.  He would do this for a variety of different topics including NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL Teams.

2.  By the time he was about 36 months old he memorized every NFL team, MLB team, almost every NBA team and NHL team.  I would test him to see if he was just remembering logos or if he was actually reading by just showing him the team name or the city they play in and he was always right.

2.  By the time he was about 4 years old he was typing in full words in our PC to find different items that interested him.  Dinosaurs, cartoons, toys.  All sorts of things.  

3.  When he was about 4 and half, my wife and I, being soccer fans, were watching the Copa America tournament (2011) we noticed that he was very fixated on the flags of the different countries that participated.  By the end of the tournament he memorized all of the flags of the countries that were in the tournament.  There were 12 countries in the tournament.  soon after this, he showed an intense curiousity of where these countries were on the map in relation to where he lived.  He began to ask questions about other countries and what their flags looked like.  he began to search links for flags of the world.  To this day, nearly 2 years later, he is still fixated on flags and countries.  He's made us by him a book of flags.  He can identify every country in North and South America, most of Europe and a good deal of Africa and Asia.  It's really amazing to us.  He has recently memorized every US State flag.

4.  He checks sports scores online every morning to see what team beat what other team.

The above three examples and many others make us think he might be gifted.  Is he?  His Kindergarten teacher has told us he is head and shoulders above every other child in the class and she worries he may become bored.  I've read about the signs of giftedness and he exibits many of these traits.  

Thanks for reading all of this!

Mari  

#2 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Hey, Mari! Anyone that can successfully use Windows is gifted ;) <-- pardon my troll hehe

He sounds like a smart cookie and a cool kid. You can check out things like the Davidson Institute ( http://www.davidsongifted.org/ ) for some resources, and I'd look for fun ways for him to keep challenging himself. 

#3 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Definitely sounds like it to me, but I don't know much about it other than the kids I see who are in the GT programs, and a lot of them don't seem gifted so much as much as smart.  My daughter is in our local GT magnet program, and I've known students who go to the Davidson Academy in my state, but it's hard to know capabilities, obviously.  I think those who exhibit the kind of focus your son has are beyond typical.  

#4 of 6 Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We took our 6 1/2 year old son to have his IQ tested- your child is old enough for a test. I think the input from your kindergarten teacher is indicative that your son is probably exceptionally bright, if not gifted. What causes me to imagine that he may be gifted is his level of fixation on particular topics- if he is not showing signs of autism or ADHD, sustained interest in a topic of fascination is a possible sign of giftedness. The will to carry it through by learning as much as possible is an even stronger indication. ASP and ADHD are well represented in the gifted population- my only point being that, independent of being gifted, those are two conditions that may show as "hyper focus."
#5 of 6 Old 06-03-2013, 04:20 PM

If he can memorize flags and teams, I would sign him up for chess. He may be a prodigy in the making.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#6 of 6 Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Sounds a lot like my son. We haven't had him tested yet either but from what i have read i believe he may be gifted too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page