Advanced 15 month old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all :)

Just hoping to get some perspective regarding my 15 month old son.  I posted this video on his birth board at different website and folks seemed to think he's ahead of where he "should" be but I'm not so convinced.  I thought I'd ask somewhere with some BTDT parents :).  Thanks in advance...even if it's just to tell me he's perfectly normal ;).

Letter puzzle 15 months - YouTube

This is after playing with this particular puzzle maybe two other times...he does enjoy puzzles and has been able to independently complete those simple 12 piece knob Melissa and Doug puzzles since he was 13 months old.  I just figured he likes puzzles and has good visual spatial skills.  He can identify his letters but he also loves to be read to and one of his favorite books is an alphabet book so it makes sense that he would be able to identify them.  He also likes to play with his magnetic letters.  Same thing with shapes..he loves shape sorters and has been able to complete them independently (we have a few...the largest is a Tupperware one that has 8 -10 shapes) since he was 12 or 13 months.  He's been able to identify all of his shapes for a couple of months now and loves to point out stars and oval everywhere we go.  He does surprise me sometimes with where he finds ovals...he pointed out the other day that his doll's eyes are shaped like ovals as well as a toy Noah's Ark when you look at it from the bottom.

Physical development seems right on track...sat up at 5 months, crawled at 6 months, walked at 11 months.  Same thing with language..said his first word at 6 months and currently has 60 spoken words.  

He does seem to have a pretty good memory...we went to Babies R Us last month after not having been there for at least two months prior and as soon as we got out of the car and he saw the store sign he started shouting "FAN! FAN!" remembering that the last time we were there were ceiling fans.  We were way in the back of the parking lot so he didn't see them from the outside....he just remembered.

Jenn 

#2 of 4 Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM

I think that's certainly well ahead of the average 15 mo. If you read the milestones on the PBS development tracker they talk about not recognizing text until much older. Recognizing letters at that age is also pretty advanced, but that also depends on how much time you've spent 'teaching' them. If you haven't then I'd say very advanced. I think his language is probably a little ahead of average too.
My peers at mothers group are still very shocked that my 18mo recognizes all her letters and numbers ( which she's done since 15mo too).
#3 of 4 Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

My 16-month-old does a similar thing with his letter puzzle, but can't do all the letters yet. I didn't watch all your video, but it looks like your son has all his letters! So he's certainly ahead of my son, for whatever that's worth.

#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Well, considering they teach the alphabet in kindergarten, I presume your son would be considered advanced. Mine were doing that well before 15 months, but we've concluded they are advanced/gifted, lol. I'm not much help, BUT your son seems to really be enjoying himself ( I only watched until you handed him the M ), so that's cool and just keep providing him fun things to do! 😊

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page