Harry Potter concerns - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 05-19-2013, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My mother never censored what I read.  I went to an awesome university and my life is dedicated to helping people.

Let your child read what she wants. If something does not sit well with her, she can put it down.

I read all the Chekhov, Dostoevsky and Tolstoy by age 12.

My kid has been watching South Park since age 11. He also a devout dharma student.  My other child had never had any limits on his co,mputer time. He has job at  start upa nd volunteers with low income kids .

It is not simply what your child read or watches but how you frame it. 

#32 of 38 Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyMama View Post

I think she has a little bit of what my fellow teachers and I call the Hunger Games syndrome--once you've read a super intense/scary/overly mature book, you can't go back to The Boxcar Children

Hmm, I haven't seen that myself. My dd10 read the Hunger Games series at age 8.5 and loved them. Subsequently (she's 10 now) she's enjoyed many less intense books: a number of the Anne of Green Gables series, for instance, some Kate diCamillo, E.L. Konigsburg, Philippa Pearce. Mixed in with Life of Pi and other more mature stuff. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#33 of 38 Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What a helpful thread. I really appreciate the book recommendations.

DS is turning 6 and reading well but there is no way I would allow him to read my beloved HP yet, not even the first. I just think the themes are way too mature for him. I will say that he is tv-free so it may be that he doesn't have the exposure to casual violence that a lot of kids have.

#34 of 38 Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM

Just a heads up - the Harry Potter discussions may never end with your kids. DD is 17 and read all of the books many years ago. She still gets into lengthy conversations about the books...most recently over this Youtube video of a spoken word performance. 

I think I found it far easier, or at least more straightforward, with a child dealing with the scary and dark themes than I have with a teenager/almost adult questioning, challenging and debating stereotypes and subtext, lol.

#35 of 38 Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE!

Hi everyone--I loved reading all the comments!  

First of all, I didn't mean to start anything with the Hunger Games comment.  It's just something I notice with my students and my DD, and I did not mean to suggest that everyone falls into that trap.  Of course kids do move up and down with their reading levels and interests; however, I personally have seen students lose interest in books that suddenly seem too young after they have been exposed to something much more intense.  

I did end up spoiling the end of #4 for her, and she immediately burst into tears and announced that she was not going to finish the book.  I told her that that was fine, and I offered to finish it with her when she decided she was ready.  She is now re-reading #3 again, and has not even touched #4.  I'm happy that she knows her limits, and I'm also happy that she has put it down.  I feel that #4 and beyond are too dark for a barely 6 year old (at least for mine).  

She is loving her HP legos right now, so I'm hoping that re-reading and imaginary play will carry us through at a few weeks, at least!

Thanks so much for all the perspectives and input!  :) 

Mommy to DD 5-07
#36 of 38 Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Man this is a tough one! I've really enjoyed reading the replies here.

I know I've been reading the first book aloud to my little one, for fun, and I have thought about what to do about the older books. I'm definitely concerned about the darkness of books 5 onward. 

I do remember, though, as a child I read books much too old for me - I had a really big fondness for Agatha Christie and Edgar Allen Poe in 5th grade - and I turned out okay. There *is* an element of kids just glossing over stuff that they don't "get", so I think part of it is going to be an awareness of what sticks with my little one. 

#37 of 38 Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 PM

This is maybe neither here nor there but I wouldn't let DD read past book #4 until this year, and I let her read #5.  I told her she had to wait for 6 and 7, but she figured out she could check them out at school, so she did.  And that was the end of that.  She did much better with them then I'd've thought.  In the past, people dying have caused a storm of tears, but she seemed to handle it ok.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#38 of 38 Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM

We took a break after book 3 when DD was in 2nd grade and re-visited the series in third grade.  

I will say that when I read aloud to DD, I left out the extra bloody details but while we were on break from the series, she read them to her little sister in full.  Sometimes, it is just out of our hands...

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page