Mensa for kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to the board, well not new, used to post about diapers many many years ago . But I'm looking for a forum for school aged gifted kids. My ds just got classified and I'm trying to navigate this new world (the gifted world). I could really use some advice from other moms.

The kids Mensa program is having a special that ends the end of May and I'm wondering if its worth it to join?
#2 of 13 Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 AM

Welcome! 

We've never looked into Mensa, so I can't help much, sorry. I would consider what is being offered for your DS, whether it fills a need and how much/how often it would be accessed and how much it all costs.

I would also consider what is already available to your DS through school, extra-curriculars, community resources, local gifted associations, on-line groups (my sense is that Davidson and a few others are more popular resources for school-aged children and their parents but I have no real evidence for that - I just seem to see Davidson mentioned much more frequently than Mensa)..... We've been fairly lucky to find lots of resources and programs but perhaps you are in a different environment. 

#3 of 13 Old 05-28-2013, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

All I really know about Mensa is that their chapters and offerings vary from community to community. I don't know anyone in person who has thought Mensa enjoyable or beneficial but I'm sure there are some good chapters that have something to offer.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#4 of 13 Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

The Davidson info looks good, but my ds isn't "profoundly" gifted so I don't think we would fit in there very well. He qualified for Mensa so that's why I was asking about it. We live in a rural area and I'm having trouble finding others to connect with. I'm sure there are some here, but I just don't know how to find them.

Whatsnextmom, you crack me up, I'm not a Mensa advocate just don't know where to turn. Ds will only receive some in class differentiation and Rosetta Stone in school. He's all about science and reading so I'd love to find a group around his own age, either in real life or an online community, that has similar interests.
#5 of 13 Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM

I've never encountered anyone who found a local network for their kids through Mensa.  Looking on the online materials, it seemed as though it was fairly normal materials that are available elsewhere online.

Davidson doesn't required DYS to post on the message board.  The folks there and here are really helpful and knowledgeable.  For instance, folks both here and on Davidson can probably help you in making sure your son's "some in class differentiation" is at a minimum "appropriate and consistent differentiation."  We can also help in strategies that have worked -- and failed --  to find appropriate peers for our kids.

Any science fair in your area?

Saturday programs for gifted kids?

Science classes at the local museum?

Start looking for places that would attract kids like your son and show up.  You'll likely find like-minded kids. 

It's the same world you were navigating before, now it just comes with a label.  Welcome to the forum.  ;)

#6 of 13 Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndyRR327 View Post

Whatsnextmom, you crack me up, I'm not a Mensa advocate just don't know where to turn.

And why is that? I'm not against Mensa. What I know is that it's not a uniform organization. What I know is that the few people who have mentioned it in my circle have not had positive experiences.

Their offerings vary from chapter to chapter. Despite us being a very large county, all our local chapter has for gifted kids is a member picnic once a year that kids can attend and a list of summer camps that is pretty much the same list every family magazine and website in our area publishes each Spring. Your area may offer more which is why I didn't discount the organization as a whole.

#7 of 13 Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

I've never encountered anyone who found a local network for their kids through Mensa.  Looking on the online materials, it seemed as though it was fairly normal materials that are available elsewhere online.

Davidson doesn't required DYS to post on the message board.  The folks there and here are really helpful and knowledgeable.  For instance, folks both here and on Davidson can probably help you in making sure your son's "some in class differentiation" is at a minimum "appropriate and consistent differentiation."  We can also help in strategies that have worked -- and failed --  to find appropriate peers for our kids.

Start looking for places that would attract kids like your son and show up.  You'll likely find like-minded kids. 

It's the same world you were navigating before, now it just comes with a label.  Welcome to the forum.  ;)

No science fairs, no Sat. programs, not even any museums.  Sad isn't it!  What does DYS stand for?  I'm really surprised at the lack of ANYTHING, gifted or not, in my area, I live very close to VA Tech for goodness sake!

#8 of 13 Old 06-01-2013, 10:24 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:

No science fairs, no Sat. programs, not even any museums.  Sad isn't it!  What does DYS stand for?  I'm really surprised at the lack of ANYTHING, gifted or not, in my area, I live very close to VA Tech for goodness sake!

You may have to dig a little, and think outside the box. Don't limit your consideration to packaged programs for 8-to-10-year-olds. I live in a community of 600, off the beaten path and a long way from post-secondary institutions, from museums, etc. etc. The entire community has only about 15 kids in my dd's age-range and there are no other nearby communities. There are no clubs, scouting programs, Saturday programs, heck, we don't even have team sports offered at all except for 10 weeks of soccer in the spring. Some things we've found:

A local community "orchestra" that has no age limits and has included my kids from ages 6 on up

An aikido dojo where the Tuesday evening classes happened to have four bright quirky kids from two families that mine really connected with.

A community garden volunteer club made up of mostly retirees, but many incredibly bright and knowledgeable who were happy to share with kids

Workshops (ostensibly for adults, but welcoming of focused children accompanied by their parents) on various aspects of biology, ecology and astronomy. eg. next weekend my 10yo and I are attending a "bio-blitz" designed to inventory species in a nearby wetland, which is preceded by an education session. We've done workshops offered by naturalists, bat biologists, edible plants, etc. etc. Occasionally we find other kids at such events, and they're almost always as quirky and bright as mine. 

A Suzuki violin summer program full of amazing kids with interests and aptitudes similar to my kids'

An amazing youth choir program in a small town an hour away that is worth the drive many times over, full of the most talented, generous, humble, confident kids.

An annual writers' festival run through the school district.

Now, you probably won't find exactly these things in your community, but if you dig a bit you might very well find that your area has other things -- probably plenty more than mine -- to offer that end up providing interest, challenge and connection for your child. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#9 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Miranda, those are great ideas! Thanks! I am not typically good at thinking outside the box, but I will try to give it a shot.
#10 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post

DYS stands for Davidson Young Scholars, the program and services offered to profoundly gifted children. There are minimum requirements (IQ test or other). You can find out more at the Davidson site. 

Just a note about looking at activities - definitely let your DS's interests be the guide, but we've found drama groups seem to attract a lot of bright students. If it is a well-run program, the students are stretched by the plays chosen to perform eg. my kids tried some Shakespeare in grade school. They enjoy the wordsmithing and language fun and they are challenged academically to explore deeper meanings in the material and memorize their lines. Learning stage craft presents also presents a different kind of challenge.  

Photography and film-making also seem to attract technically minded kids but also inspires and engages the artistic side of these kids.

#11 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 10:20 AM

It might be time to create your own opportunities. We live in an area rich in extra-curricular activities but when we couldn't find the exact sort of activities our kids wanted, we started them ourselves. I ran a strategy game club 3 mornings a week at the elementary school.... open to all but lots of bright kids were attracted. We hosted an elementary book club as well as a readers theatre program.... very popular. I led a Girl Scout troop that was heavy in gifted girls for 10 years. We have a little camping group with DS's friends who all qualify as gifted. Sometimes you just have to start things and see who shows up.... "if you build it, they will come" lol. 

#12 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

yeahthat.gif  That's a great suggestion. I started the Suzuki music program my have kids thrived in, ran a family gardening and environmental club for several years, I co-wrote a successful grant application for a series of art workshops that my dd has thrived in, and my ds helped start the amazing computer gaming club that my youngest dd now enjoys. Right now I'm looking into Maker Scouts, a new STEM-focused scouting style program. It might be right up your ds's alley -- I'd recommend you look into it.

Also agree with the likelihood of theatre programs attracting bright, amazing kids. We don't have much like that available to us, but I've seen that magnetic effect in other communities. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#13 of 13 Old 06-02-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, love those ideas! Wish I didn't have to work, I'd love to sponsor a science club at his school!

Tags
Children

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page