Gifted 4 year old??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-29-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK. So my question is if my son is gifted? I'll give some family history and some of his history and if you could let me know what you think that would be great! I'm trying to get some resources as I'm feeling a bit isolated and it's hard to talk to normal parents about it kwim?

Family history: My father is gifted: he went to 1st grade when he was 4 and graduated at the top of his class his entire academic career. He graduated at the top of his field in medicine in 3 fields at age 23. He's been an ER physician for 34 years and has an incredibly accurate diagnosis rate.

DH: Skipped kindergarten because he knew all of the material. Unclear whether he skipped a grade or 2 back in Colombia and was held back when he moved stateside due to lack of English. Has a Master's degree and graduated with great grades both undergraduate and graduate. (Undergrad is impressive considering he was drunk most of the time! AH, College!)

My brother: Just got a PhD in astrophysics. First job as a university professor beginning in August. 

Myself: Concert violinist. Began touring internationally at the age of 11. School was boring for me. All advanced classes. Graduated in 6 years from 2 universities with 4 degrees. 2 bachelors and 2 masters. Graduated cum laude and with a 3.9 from NYU.

DS: Accomplished all major baby milestones 3-6 months early except walking.

Age 2: Asking why the sun was hot. Totally cool with the nuclear reaction/scientific explanation.

Figured out digestive system

Learned how to hold a violin

Able to distinguish letters and numbers

Age 3: Building with legos (the small ones for 6-7 year olds)

Figured out labor on his own (with visual description of my uterus)

Doing all pre-reading stuff

Think you're speaking with a 5 year old

Prone to nightmares

Age 4: Bored at pre-k because he knows the material

Follows instructions for building legos

Prone to nightmares continues

Behavior issues begin 

Acts out

Overall he's always been a perfectionist

Serious fear of failure

Sensitive

Highly imaginative

Looking at the NAGC website it describes DS to a t

Tried getting him evaluated through school. They brushed us off because he's so bright. Teacher recommended we try again and are continuing with the evaluation process...

Any thoughts or insights? Sorry for the novel!

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Well, it's certainly more than possible. Likely, even. But I'm not sure it makes sense to ask a bunch of non-professionals who have never met your son, to give opinions on the matter. Your own instincts are a good starting point, and I would also go by what his preschool teachers think. Is there a reason you need to know for sure at this point? Because I would only pursue an evaluation at this age if there's some particular program or school you feel he needs to be part of. An unofficial parental hunch is all I ever had until the high school years; because of our limited educational options that was enough. 

Miranda

coincidentally both a violinist and a physician.... 

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the evaluation is more for his current teachers more than anything. Good times.

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     

User Tag List