Book recommendation for my toddler please, re space/rockets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi.  Could anyone suggest a book on space and/or space rockets for a toddler who's learning to read please?  It will be for his second birthday next month, the most he will read by himself is a sentence or two per page, but will pay attention to a couple of paragraphs per page being read to him, already knows what order the planets come in, can tell you what a planet is called by site and knows a bit of information on various planets and related things.  It is his biggest interest, he seems to be getting a bit bored of his current books and I know he would love a book like this if I could find one that was more suitable.  Other books I have found seem to be aimed at a much, much older child with a much longer attention span, although I expect his attention span may be a bit longer for a book on this subject with good graphics.  Many thanks. 

#2 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 08:42 AM

Have you tried the Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot about That books? The books are factual & educational but in rhyms told by The Cat in the Hat. Their space book is "Theres No Place Like Space." Its explains a bit about each planet "Mars is the color of rust, we sneeze here because it is covered in dust...", the sun, moon & constellations.
Cheesenonion likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you cali2tx, that sounds quite perfect, I couldn't find anything like that.  I've had a sneak peak at it online and I think that might be a good book to encourage him to read a bit more by himself too!  

#4 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM

My DS just loves space and I got him the National Geographic "First Big Book of Space". The pictures are awesome and you can just read bits of it as his interests dictate. Its not the type of book you would read cover to cover - more like a reference style., but then when he learns to read on his own he can use it to learn even more!
Cheesenonion likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you J1379.  I wasn't sure about a reference book, as we have an adult's reference book on space, which is where his interest first started, but I can see a few of the pages online.  There seems to be some very big pictures with a bit of information on each, I can see the page on Mars.  Are all the pages like that?  If they are, then that would great, there doesn't seem to be too much information crowded onto the pages for him and I think he would love it.

#6 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Yes - all the pages are like the one you saw. That's why my son really loves it. Plus the pictures are really bright and engaging for young ones. Hopefully your son likes it too!
Cheesenonion likes this.
#7 of 7 Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM

we love this book: http://shop.priddybooks.com/book.aspx?id=7932  Smart Kids Space by Priddy Books

It has beautiful, big page pictures - covers some of what he already knows, like the order within the solar system, but then has a page on each planet with a brief overview and neat facts (but not too much distracting text all over the place, like in a reference).  Also has pages on the Milky Way, moon landing, the future of privatized space travel, etc.  Text is in decent sized print for lil readers, and some key words highlighted in color.

Cheesenonion likes this.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page