Testing... What do I need to know? Questions I need to ask? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-19-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're having a formal meeting to get the ball rolling for DS to have a gifted IEP. This is school initiated so I don't feel I have any pressing concerns but I might be missing something? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would start with some basics. 

What kind of test instrument? There are many different tests of varying degrees of accuracy and reliability. Some tests will provide much more detailed information than others. An individual assessment is going to be more accurate and reliable than a group-administered test. Hoagies Gifted website has some information about various IQ tests. Once you know what test is being used, you can get some more specific information about it there. 

Who will administer it? An educational or child developmental psychologist? A master's or doctoral student? The regular classroom teacher? Personally, I would want the most qualified, experienced psychologist doing the assessment and evaluation. 

Where and when will it be performed? Will you be notified? Will it be during regular class time? I've known children who were pulled unexpectedly out of class, away from a favourite subject (eg. art or music).  They performed badly because they were unhappy and uncooperative. It's the sort of scenario that is easily avoidable.  

#3 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 11:54 AM

Am I understanding that he hasn't been tested at all to this point? It seems unusual that you would be called to an IEP meeting for a child that hasn't been identified with a need...perhaps your system is different than ours. But for both my kids the IEP meeting has come after a need has been identified.

#4 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

quirklylane... this is an initial meeting, I'm assuming to inform me and to get my permission to test because his teachers (along with the intervention team) are feeling that an IEP may be appropriate at this point.

#5 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

I would start with some basics.

What kind of test instrument? There are many different tests of varying degrees of accuracy and reliability. Some tests will provide much more detailed information than others. An individual assessment is going to be more accurate and reliable than a group-administered test. Hoagies Gifted website has some information about various IQ tests. Once you know what test is being used, you can get some more specific information about it there.

Who will administer it? An educational or child developmental psychologist? A master's or doctoral student? The regular classroom teacher? Personally, I would want the most qualified, experienced psychologist doing the assessment and evaluation.

Where and when will it be performed? Will you be notified? Will it be during regular class time? I've known children who were pulled unexpectedly out of class, away from a favourite subject (eg. art or music).  They performed badly because they were unhappy and uncooperative. It's the sort of scenario that is easily avoidable. 

Thank you for the Hoagies Gifted reference. I keep forgetting to check into that.

Thank you also for pointing out the importance of when. My son is very attached to an agenda and any changes to it throws him off a lot and affects his day.

As far as who will administer the test... based on the school district website, it will be the school psych administering an IQ test. Do you feel that that may not be ideal?

They have a scoring matrix that I gleaned from the website. It includes achievement tests (Terra Nova, Woodcock-Johnson), IQ test (not specified which type), Williams creativity assessment.

He's a lower grade and therefore wouldn't have the Terra Nova scores.

#6 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post

As far as who will administer the test... based on the school district website, it will be the school psych administering an IQ test. Do you feel that that may not be ideal?

No, if it's a fully qualified psychologist, that should be fine. I think that there can be good reasons for private testing (primarily maintaining control over the process and the report) but I wouldn't knee-jerk reject a professional simply because they choose to work for the school system. 

ETA: Sorry, just re-read that and it's a little blunt and harsh. I didn't mean to come across that way. I was typing quickly with my dog whining in my ear. I don't mean to suggest that you or anyone else is knee-jerk rejecting anyone. Now I really have to run and take him outside! 

#7 of 8 Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I didn't take it as harsh at all. Right now the wheels are turning. Of course there's a backlog with the school psych with kids he needs to see so I was given a 60-day max waiting period. His teacher has put him and a friend on an accelerated math program though so I am not too anxious anymore. The gifted diagnosis will just make him qualified for the gifted pull out program. His teacher is already differentiating material for him anyway since last year (they get teachers 2 years in a row except for kindy)
#8 of 8 Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Different district do the GT testing differently, our school will test anyone whose parents want a test and the test is offered annually.  Smaller districts test one on one since there are not enough students to merit testing multiple children.  We do not have IEPs for GT in our district, but I know of other schools that do.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page