1st grade isn't going as hoped... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in need of some school advice- my DS6 is highly gifted and goes to a private school. The "skinny" is that his kindergarten experience was outstanding. The teacher did an amazing job working with him- both academically and behaviorally. I could extol her virtues on and on- she was wonderful.

Soooo... First grade is not going great so far. He is coming home with math problems that are easier than the work he was doing at the beginning of K and mastered at around age four. Reading comprehension seems primarily computer based (Raz Kids?). He's not acting out but he doesn't seem engaged amd excited about his subjects like he was last year.

He's reading chapter books at home, and seems most engaged at the 600 to 800 lexile range (3rd to 4th grade(ish)). We're beginning long division- and continuing multiplication practice. Mostly, he enjoys reading and enjoys numbers (he seems to have a "knack" for how they work). This isn't to go on and on about how advanced he is, it's just to show that there may be a mismatch with his current curriculum?

I don't know what to say to the teacher- she may understand more about his reading comprehension than I do- but his K teacher put him on chapter books last Spring and his standardized reading test was 99th percentile (Gates reading test)- he's back on short readers now with Raz Kids. I do have a hard time believing that 1 digit addition and subtraction is engaging him in math.

I have a parent teacher conference coming up- those who have had to speak with teachers on these matters- do you have tips? When it comes to teachers, I have a tendency to be meek because they are the experts.
#2 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Double post
#3 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a possibility that while he is coming home with homework that's for his grade level, he's doing differentiated work in class?
My DS gets the same homework as everyone else but his teacher has communicated with me time and again that his material is differentiated in class as well (I am also shown the work that he's done).

How open is the 1st grade teacher to differentiating the material for your son? How is it that the kindergarten teacher hasn't seem to have communicated your child's abilities to the 1st grade teacher?
#4 of 4 Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm looking at my post and believe that I'm only "venting." Of course the next step is to have a rational discussion with his teacher- which makes me nervous because I'm not even sure myself what my DS's academic needs are, except that the current situation seems inadequate.

I know he's not getting harder work in class, because the teacher sends home all of his completed worksheets.

I don't know how open the teacher will be to giving DS harder work- I feel like she would have already based on what he accomplished last year.

He has a talent with numbers- he's beginning to multiply sizable numbers in his head and already knows all of his multiplication and division facts. I just want to keep him fired up about math because it's so important.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page