Cool moment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-20-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, today my DS6 (first grade) multiplied six to the sixth power in his head while we were in the car. He did it faster in his head than I can do it in mine. (I'm not a slouch;)
Anyway, my DH is traveling, and I can't post it on FB without looking like a tool. It was just very cool - and I had to tell someone.
I know you all have many moments like these with your kids, so figured you would understand.
He also had a series of sigh inducing meltdowns, followed by one amazingly sweet apology. I'm focusing on the apology and the math as the memorable moments of this day!
grumpybear likes this.
#2 of 16 Old 10-20-2013, 11:40 PM

Wow!!!  That is amazing!  I tried to do that just now, but nope, I quit trying after about 20 seconds - just cant' do it.  He (and you) must have calculator brains!!  I'm impressed yikes.gif

grumpybear likes this.

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#3 of 16 Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks pranava! No, I do not have a calculator brain, but spent many years working in budgeting and accounting (a lot of math!). I was keeping up until 6 to the 4th power, but started crossing wires and giving up after that. 

When it comes to this kind of thing, I'm trying to limit it to DH and grandma- it's nice to have another community. Someone mentioned that their five year old is doing something interesting with geometry. Manipulating large numbers in the head sort of pales in comparison to a five year comprehending geometry:) It's all relative, right? 

In the grand scheme the apology and following effort to amends was probably the better achievement. There are probably many "smart" people who can't issue a sincere apology. 

#4 of 16 Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

I'm truly blown away by that, by his capacity to focus and organize and hold so much in short-term memory at age 6. I asked my 10-year-old (who is rollicking through high school math courses with straight A's) to try it and she got overwhelmed as she got beyond the 4th power. 

miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#5 of 16 Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Miranda- he did test "gifted" in working memory- I was frankly stunned because if tell him to get dressed, brush his teeth, and put on his shoes, it's 50/50 whether he will be wandering around the house in his underwear 20 minutes later! 

#6 of 16 Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

And, Miranda, I should have said it right then, a ten year old doing high school math is awesome! I only personally know one other kid doing high school math at 10, and would frankly describe her as "off the charts." 

#7 of 16 Old 10-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamMom View Post

Hey Miranda- he did test "gifted" in working memory- I was frankly stunned because if tell him to get dressed, brush his teeth, and put on his shoes, it's 50/50 whether he will be wandering around the house in his underwear 20 minutes later!

LOL! He still is a 6 year old after all. My 7 year old still does that. About half an hour to put pants, shirt and socks on.

#8 of 16 Old 10-21-2013, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post

LOL! He still is a 6 year old after all. My 7 year old still does that. About half an hour to put pants, shirt and socks on.

That fast? Wow! What's your secret? :p

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#9 of 16 Old 10-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

That fast? Wow! What's your secret? orngtongue.gif

A lot of nagging. Lol! I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a distractible child!
#10 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 06:04 AM

That is SO COOL!!!

:dizzy  < My head, trying to figure that out  with two kids buzzing around me, hahaha

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#11 of 16 Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 AM

That is pretty awesome.  

I'm not even going to attempt it.

#12 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post

A lot of nagging. Lol! I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a distractible child!

Well, I read Kazdan's Parenting the Defiant Child over the weekend, and lo and behold, I made up my own reward strategy on the spot and it seems to be working. Forget the points list, just hold out a carrot you make up in the spur of the moment. Maybe we will be able to really build habits this time, who knows.

The funny thing is that my instinct that I needed to modify the prgram, which is a big no-no in the book, must have been right. My 3yoDD, who I tried to "catch doing things right" told me after the third time or so, suspiciously, that she did not like me to tell her what she did well like that. And I wasn't even gushing the way you're supposed to...

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#13 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesenonion View Post

That is pretty awesome.

I'm not even going to attempt it.

No, me either. Sigh. I'd  so wish for all these kids to find ways to use their brains productively in school...

#14 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM

So cool! Make sure you put it in his Baby Book or whatever you keep for him. My kids are older and I have three and I have forgotten more of these cool moments than I can remember!

Make it fun and keep him practicing so he keeps the Gift. :Hug

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#15 of 16 Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 PM

That is really cool and the apology even cooler! My six year old giftie has a fantastic memory for certain things... But he too will take FOREVER to do things like get dressed. It's tough on me because I am the opposite of lazy, and he seems the epidemy of it. :/

Jesus-loving Doula/Birth Photographer Mama to Tor 4/2007, Zion 11/2009, Enoch 11/2011, and Zephyr due 12/13/2013

#16 of 16 Old 11-05-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all- as the years wear on, I'm gaining a greater appreciation of the power of "soft" skills, which are shall we say "not in the gifted range." Offering an apology, controlling frustration, freeing oneself from distraction long enough to put on pants are a slow work in progress. Some days I need to shout out these moments of "cool" just to balance the scales.
grumpybear likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page