Where is this season's "What are your kids doing?" thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Because my son's report card rocked.

The last two years of school have sucked. I can't say the last 4 have been great. My son moved on to middle school this year. I was expecting a disaster as many of his issues at elementary revolved around organization and focus. I saw these issues causing more of a problem for him now that he switched classes, had multiple teachers, ect. We were happy with C grades the past two years and saw several D and F grades. All of the 21st century skills and learning behaviors were usually checked as needing improvement.

He's got mostly A grades, a few B grades, and one C grade this quarter. Every single learning behavior is proficient or above. The only comment that wasn't positive was his math teacher saying that he needs to focus on his class work more and socialize less. But since he has a 105% in the class and has asked repeatedly for more challenging work, I'm not going to let it bother me.

I feel like I have validation. His issues weren't him, they weren't us as his parents. The environment he was in was not a good fit and it sucked for him. He's in a new environment and he's a new student.

I'd contacted a local university to get a full scale ability profile on my son at the end of the summer anticipating issues this year and they just called me back to set something up. I think I'll still do it just in case I need scores for later advocacy or if issues resurface, but a lot of the concerns that led me to request testing are gone.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 PM

That's so awesome! I hope now that he's found a good place he'll be able to stay in the game groove for the rest of school.  

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#3 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fantastic!  So happy for your son (and you!)

#4 of 11 Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

What a great update. So good to hear, thanks for sharing such good news! 

BTW, there was a thread for October updates but it's fallen somewhere way down the page. Definitely time for a new one. 

#5 of 11 Old 11-02-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so glad you got validation for what you know was true about your child! Congrats. :thumb

Attachment Parenting: The radical notion that children are human. bfinfant.gif
#6 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

The power of the good fit. It's awesome, isn't it, wondering whether you've got a different child.

There is just this one niggling thought at the back of my mind and I have been wondering how to put it, not wanting to rain on your parade...hide.gif

His old program was this high achiever model student pile-on-the-work program masquerading as a gifted program that you were so disenchanted with you decided to mainstream him for middle school, right? So it could be that the mainstream program, even though it's lots of different teachers and classes, makes it that much easier for him to keep on top of his stuff because, among other things, the content is really way too easy for him?

I know he is accelerated anyway and probably at least a year younger than most of his classmates, but I think it's a good idea to get that evaluation done with an eye on accelerated classes in the new system. If you recall, I am one of those people who has trouble with organization and focus even now and I always wonder whether I might have been able to develop better executive function skills if I'd ever had to, you know, actually work for my As. And might not have run into that brick wall in law school.

I don't pretend to have the answers here either, because clearly that the other program's approach wasn't helping any. I'm thinking along the lines of high demands in actual content/subject material - lots of schaffolding and support in executive function. Instead of ten easy homwork problems, one complex one. And so on. Yeah, yeah, I know, if only this were so easy to find....sulkoff.gif 

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
#7 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post

The power of the good fit. It's awesome, isn't it, wondering whether you've got a different child.

There is just this one niggling thought at the back of my mind and I have been wondering how to put it, not wanting to rain on your parade...hide.gif

His old program was this high achiever model student pile-on-the-work program masquerading as a gifted program that you were so disenchanted with you decided to mainstream him for middle school, right? So it could be that the mainstream program, even though it's lots of different teachers and classes, makes it that much easier for him to keep on top of his stuff because, among other things, the content is really way too easy for him?

I know he is accelerated anyway and probably at least a year younger than most of his classmates, but I think it's a good idea to get that evaluation done with an eye on accelerated classes in the new system. If you recall, I am one of those people who has trouble with organization and focus even now and I always wonder whether I might have been able to develop better executive function skills if I'd ever had to, you know, actually work for my As. And might not have run into that brick wall in law school.

I don't pretend to have the answers here either, because clearly that the other program's approach wasn't helping any. I'm thinking along the lines of high demands in actual content/subject material - lots of schaffolding and support in executive function. Instead of ten easy homwork problems, one complex one. And so on. Yeah, yeah, I know, if only this were so easy to find....sulkoff.gif 

You bring up issues I've thought of. Thank you.

Yes, I'm a bit frustrated that those A grades weren't the result of learning actual new content, or being challenged intellectually. However, since a lot of his issues were failure to do work and hand it in I'm really pleased with the grades as they represent that he actually completed and handed in the work no matter what the challenge level of it was. He's also getting great feedback on his group work, which is also something he struggled with in the past.

He was dealing with some "impostor syndrome" at the old school and has found that he really is smart and he really does crave challenge and has started asking his teachers for more challenging work. We assumed all along that he would work his way back into the gifted track by high school to put him on AP/college prep pathway in high school (though we are looking at classes at a local college in leu of AP). He's gaining confidence right now and learning that he is capable of A work. At conference his social studies teacher even talked about what a leader he is in the classroom and encouraged him to further develop those talents. I don't think there was a space for him to emerge as a leader before as he wasn't one of the highest performing students. Now he is. 

We've found the mainstream English classroom to be a really good fit for him as they are very focused on writing this year, he needed a bit of remediation in that area. He hates having to journal 4 pages a week, but it is really good for him. He's already in the advanced Science classroom. He has the same Social Studies teacher who teaches the advanced class and the teacher has already mentioned moving DS to the advanced class at either semester or next year.

The remaining issue is Math. This is an issue we are actually tackling as a group of parents. Our school district moved to the common core standards this year. The common core is about a year ahead of where the previous curriculum was. So they are basically teaching remedial math in every classroom this year to get everyone caught up. They allowed only a handful of kids to advance and those kids who did advance aren't finding remedial 7th grade math any more satisfying than the kids who didn't get accelerated are finding remedial 6th grade math. They aren't calling it remedial, but that is what it is.

I really wish that the middle school advanced options were more robust as I do think the school gets so many things right. They are doing a good job of supporting executive function, they are bringing in technology in ways that really work for the kids, they are really good at building relationships between the students and the teachers. But really the advanced options are rather pathetic. Basically, except for math which is basically a subject acceleration, the only thing that seems to make an advanced class advanced is who they put in it. I've visited Science classroom and talked to the English teacher and they are teaching the exact same content at the same pace to both groups of students. Basically the advanced kids get a slightly deeper discussion of the topic at hand by virtue of being in a class with other advanced kids.

They are supposed to be starting a gifted middle school program similar to the elementary program he left. However, it won't start until next year and will begin with the class behind his. Plus, as you point out, our experience with the elementary school program wasn't positive. They are putting this gifted program in the middle school that my son currently attends. They are also putting a Spanish Immersion program in that school as well.  I'm hoping there will be some peripheral benefit to the kids who aren't in those programs due to being in a higher grade than the program is offered. We'll see.

Honestly, I think the reason this is so much better a fit is because no one knows he was grade skipped. I'm sure a few have figured it out or read his file. But no one seems to be treating him any differently or unsure what to expect of him. He feels like he's dealing with reasonable expectations and the appropriate supports to succeed. 

Edited to add - I really hate it when schools present building social skills, leaderships skills, confidence or whatever as a valid and reasonable alternative to actually teaching kids content. However, coming out of a situation where those skills were damaged due to a poor fit. One year to work on those without academic progress seem reasonable and beneficial while he decompresses from a situation that wasn't working. But as a rule I think it's malarky and kids should be learning all those skills in addition to academics. 

#8 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I need to go start a "what are they doing now" thread for November.

#9 of 11 Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

The remaining issue is Math. This is an issue we are actually tackling as a group of parents. Our school district moved to the common core standards this year. The common core is about a year ahead of where the previous curriculum was. So they are basically teaching remedial math in every classroom this year to get everyone caught up. They allowed only a handful of kids to advance and those kids who did advance aren't finding remedial 7th grade math any more satisfying than the kids who didn't get accelerated are finding remedial 6th grade math. They aren't calling it remedial, but that is what it is.

I'm surprised at this about Common Core Math, JollyGG. My kids are not mathy kids (although dd2 is doing the advanced Math homework—and grumbling about it, too), but the parents of the mathy kids in my area are very disappointed in Common Core Math because it is about a year behind where the district was for gifted kids at the middle school level and they are having to combine Common Core Math 6&7 for the gifted math kids to get them back on the advanced track they were on. There was a big stink about it. 

Glad to hear that this has been a good year for your kid. I think there is a lot to be said for being a bigger fish in a regular pond. We actually moved our dd1 to a charter full of quirky kids in part because our district is high achieving overall and she has a lot of anxiety anyway and we didn't need to add to that. She still struggles in Math and worked really hard for the B she got this quarter (teacher thinks she's slacking off, too — not my favorite guy), but got all A- or As or  in her other subjects with an A+ in Science. He told me it was the only one he gave out, too :D.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#10 of 11 Old 11-11-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

I'm surprised at this about Common Core Math, JollyGG. My kids are not mathy kids (although dd2 is doing the advanced Math homework—and grumbling about it, too), but the parents of the mathy kids in my area are very disappointed in Common Core Math because it is about a year behind where the district was for gifted kids at the middle school level and they are having to combine Common Core Math 6&7 for the gifted math kids to get them back on the advanced track they were on. There was a big stink about it. 

Glad to hear that this has been a good year for your kid. I think there is a lot to be said for being a bigger fish in a regular pond. We actually moved our dd1 to a charter full of quirky kids in part because our district is high achieving overall and she has a lot of anxiety anyway and we didn't need to add to that. She still struggles in Math and worked really hard for the B she got this quarter (teacher thinks she's slacking off, too — not my favorite guy), but got all A- or As or  in her other subjects with an A+ in Science. He told me it was the only one he gave out, too :D.

I'm actually not real surprised that our school district was behind the rest of the country. I live in a state that doesn't put a very high value on education (see the lowest paid teachers in the nation). They are introducing an honors middle school program next year because kids needs weren't being met very well at the middle school level. I think there are also some politics I'm not privy to at play. In the past gifted students didn't seem to have quite so much trouble accelerating in middle school.

​I was told in the last email that they basically have done everything they intend to do for the kids who are under challenged in math and that nothing more will be done. They will offer an end of the year placement test to see if they can skip a grade in Math (they offered one at the beginning of the year as well in response to parent pressure because our kids all seemed so inappropriately placed). However I don't hold out much hope for that placement test. I believe about 15 6th graders who were taking 7th grade math and another 15 6th graders who were taking  6th grade math took placement tests to determine if they could accelerate up one level from where they were at. Not a single kid passed the 80% level they needed to accelerate. This is suspicious to me and I'm fairly sure it was a test designed for the kids to fail. We'll see if the one in the spring is any better.

​In the meantime I suppose it's Kahn Accademy to the rescue.

#11 of 11 Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Well, overall in our state education is in pretty close to dire straits, but our particular district is high achieving and is above the state and national average.  I think our state, as a whole, is below average in student performance (certainly in spending and teacher pay).

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page