School admin pushing to get my DS evaluated...please advise - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I absolutely love the zebra line!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post

This is a good point, if the school tells you that he must have an eval, then they may on the hook to do it or pay for it. That said, I would do it privately if it's financially feasible and then send them the bill and cross my fingers.

I just noticed this. The advice to get a private eval on the expectation that the school will pay for it is NOT good advice. You will owe the money for the eval, and even if you have insurance it may not be covered. Although there are circumstances where districts do pay for private evals, they are rare. Generally, school districts eval students using their own staff.

This site has good information on the IEP appeal process:

http://www.understandingspecialeducation.com/IEP-due-process.html

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Special education teacher/school psychologist in training here. This sounds insane to me. It's been a while since the OP, but if still on the fence........he does not sound like he needs a neuropsych eval, and I can't believe they are trying to compel you to do it.

I wouldn't lawyer up at this point-May cause unnecessary extra tension, and I don't think they have done anything illegal. Yet.

What I would recommend is asking for written documentation (not anecdotes) about the behaviors, their lengths and severity, and a description of interventions used and their outcomes. This is supposed to be done before any type of referral, anyway.

And I have always been told that if school staff recommend/insist on outside evals, they pay.

Yeesh. Sorry.

User Tag List