Imaginary friends? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my 2yo seems to have developed an imaginary friend! (or a spirit is visiting :blush) That was honestly my thought... a spirit... then I happened upon an article that mentioned imaginary friends as a pretty common thing amongst gifted kids. And it clicked! Especially when I read this part in an article- 

Quote:
 Some researchers describe a child's need to create an imaginary companion as a desire to achieve competence and mastery. Imaginary companions typically take two forms: one more competent than the child and one less competent. The more competent imaginary friend represents the child's desire to be competent by emulating the imaginary friend. 

http://voices.yahoo.com/imaginary-friends-every-parent-know-205892.html?cat=25

Makes perfect sense to me. My little guy has been itching for a bike! We're waiting for spring for the snow to clear up, though... and a lot of the talk about his "friend" involves his bike! He also calls him on the phone a lot, as a last resort when everyone else he wants to call is sleeping (we're night owls!) 

I'm pretty happy about this development, though! Imagination is the only area where I feel like he has been lagging in. He's usually very precise and realistic about everything, not much of a dreamer, so it's nice to see his imagination taking flight a little! 

Quote:
Director of the Gifted Development Center, found that gifted children are much more likely to have more than one imaginary companion than non-gifted children. Out of the children who had imaginary companions, 50% of the gifted students reported having more than one while only 9% of the average students reported having more than one imaginary companion.

Just wondering what everyone else has experienced? 

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#2 of 3 Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I hesitate to call my DD's imaginations "friends." She had a series of pets in the early toddler years. One of which was a fly on a leash. They didn't seem to have any skills what-so-ever. They were just pets. Around 2.5 she started taking on different personas... new voice, theme music, costumes, personality traits. The girl lived in a Superman cape for 2 years. Occasionally she had an imaginary dog sidekick but it's not like she every insisted it was real or anything. She grew into an actress. My DS never had any imaginary friends or pets but he ended up the more creative problem-solver and out-of-box thinker. 

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#3 of 3 Old 02-10-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest DD developed an imaginary friend shortly after her sister was born. She was almost 3. Her imaginary friend had crazy adventures and also got into a lot of trouble. After awhile a second imaginary friend 'baby' showed up. The older friend was REALLY mean to 'baby.' We actually worried about it a bit - I think I even asked about it here. DD has always been gentle and caring to her sister. I'm not sure when they disappeared but it has been quite awhile since we have heard about them. (DD is now almost 5.)

My youngest DD who is 27 months has developed a character -the King - that she features in all of her stories. Not quite an imaginary friend the King is quite obviously a stand-in for herself and 'the princess' - who waits on the King hand and foot - is quite obviously me. :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page