What does abstract thinking look like in a 2yo? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-16-2014, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I've recently read an article about the skills/descriptors that parents mark as being indicative of giftedness in their young child e.g. memory, alphabet, language, creativity etc. Anyway the article found that the two items Abstract Thinking and Memory correlated the most highly with IQ.

I was wondering what you think Abstract Thinking looks like in a 2yo?

thanks

#2 of 5 Old 03-16-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've wondered this, too. I think it comes down to their ability to extrapolate and apply information from one scenerio to another.

I read one example for older children that might be helpful. Say there are two girls playing. One girl puts something on the table then goes outside. The other girl puts the item under a pillow and then goes outside. The first girl comes back in. Where does she look for her item?

The gifted child responds "on the table". Typically developing children say "under the pillow", because they do not yet understand that all people don't have the information they know.
#3 of 5 Old 03-16-2014, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well, I don't consider my DD gifted at this point, but I would say Abstract Thinking was one of her main attributes at 2! But I'm using that to describe her wanting to think and talk about conceptual stuff all the time. Like death, for instance, where babies were before they were in mom's belly, what things are like in other countries, lots of talk about the other side of the world and the positions of the sun and moon, gravity and what things would be like without it.... She plays more now, but back then she preferred talking about ideas to almost any other activity. But maybe that's not what is meant by abstract thinking...
#4 of 5 Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here are some examples of abstracts that DD could comprehend between around ages 2 and 3:

* She could enumerate very high, and understood that the last number enumerated correlated to the total number of objects in the set, and that the total doesn't change if you count the same set multiple times, unless objects are added or removed.

* If given a number under 1000, she could tell you what number was before or after it

* She understood that higher numbers identified larger groups of objects; and that higher numbers = more objects, compared to lower numbers = less objects.

* She understood that groups of letters made words, and that changing the letters in the word would make it a different word.

* Around age 3, we got a mapping GPS, and she understood that what was shown on the map correlated to real places.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#5 of 5 Old 03-22-2014, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I remember DS1 at that age developing a theory about animate and inanimate objects.

I told him "let's go up to bed, your sleepsack is waiting for you!" and he giggled, explaining to his stupid mother: "Mama, a sleepsack can't be waiting, a sleepsack is just lying around! It does not have eyes after all!" (you could just  imagine him 10 years later, going "duh!" and rolling his eyes...). So his stuffed animals, having eyes, were clearly animate. I remember him being very confused and irritated at the time, even scared a bit, by characters from Cars and Thomas the Tank Engine who, being cars and tank engines, should not have eyes according to him.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page