Emotional Resources for possibly gifted child - HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7yo dd frequently struggles with anxiety, stress, and "feeling gloomy." The problem is that she understands and will ask questions about subjects she doesn't yet have the emotional resources to handle. I am just learning about giftedness, and she has a lot of the qualities of a gifted child. I am wondering if it is worth pursuing assessment to have her "diagnosed" as gifted. I hesitate because I think that gifted or not, she ultimately has to learn the same coping skills to work through her problems. 

Has anyone had an experience where finding out their child was gifted gave them unique tools for their child's mental health? We homeschool, so the education aspect isn't as concerning for me.

Thank you for any thoughts, tips, and feedback. I am new to giftedness and child psychology :)

: 10/06 : 10/09
#2 of 4 Old 04-12-2014, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have to say the most valuable resource i ever found for understanding my highly sensitive anxious ds1 was this forum! Check out older threads with similar titles to yours and you'll find a wealth of knowledge from btdt parents. Testing will probably only help if your tester happens to be a psychologist who is very familiar with this population, but these are rsre because gifted kids are rare! You might also check out the SENG website and books by Webb whose first name escapes me. You don't need test results for that! It always seemed so clear to me what i was looking at i never bothered until now (we have testkng lined up in summer to find out whether he qualifies for a gifted program). You max have a lot of lightbulb moments reading around here!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#3 of 4 Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I am new to this forum but saw your post and understand/was looking for others in this situation. My son has had a lot of emotional issues and I didn't know entirely what was the cause. We just had him tested b/c we thought he may have a learning disability. He is an extreme perfectionist and it is hard to get him to write sentences (he's in 3rd grade). So we didn't know if there was more going on. 

The testing did help us (and it helped that the school district did it so we didn't have to pay out of pocket for it). We learned he didn't have a learning disability but that he is incredibly gifted. So now I am understanding that his strengths and weaknesses are essentially two sides of the same coin.

I found this book incredibly powerful and helped me understand him so much more & had great advice: Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students by Christine Fonseca.

I am so glad to have found this forum and appreciate all the support!

I'd say if the testing is reasonable for you to make happen, I would do it. I feel so much more aware of where to focus my energy to help him now that the learning disabilities have been ruled out. 

#4 of 4 Old 05-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The strategies to support a child who is experiencing sensitivity, anxiety and gloominess are the same whether gifted or not, so looking for materials on CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) and anxiety management will lead to good information and strategies that you can adapt to your particular child. 

These are all good:

What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety (What to Do Guides for Kids) by Dawn Huebner

Freeing Your Child from Anxiety: Powerful, Practical Solutions to Overcome Your Child's Fears, Worries, and Phobias.

Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility

(these are both by Chansky and are good.

Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents by Ronald Rapee PhD,

I like this series:

The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook for Kids: Help for Children to Cope with Stress, Anxiety, and Transitions...

What to Do When You're Scared and Worried: A Guide for Kids by James J. Crist

When My Worries Get Too Big! A Relaxation Book for Children Who Live with Anxiety

The Fonseca book is good.

My son liked this book at that age, but pre-read as it could give her ideas:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Mouses-Fears-Greenaway-Medal/dp/1416959300/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399397726&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=little+mouse+worries+scared

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page