Interesting university transition program - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Interesting university transition program

Unfortunately this is nowhere near where I live, although it's in my province. Basically it's an accelerated public high school program for gifted kids which is on the campus of a well-regarded university and includes the kind of emotional and personal-planning support these kids tend to need to transition effectively to early university study. Because of its affiliated with the university it is also able to grease the wheels of early university admission. It's a two-year program admitting kids in their Grade 8 or 9 years, and most start at University of British Columbia at 15. It's been running since 1993.

Since Canada seems to have so much less in the way of gifted programs and services I'm just surprised to see such an innovative program here.

This obviously won't work for my kid because we don't live anywhere near Vancouver, but it got me thinking... what I would really love is a residential program at the university level that's designed to support early entrants. Meaning a small residence that would offer a more home-like atmosphere, adult house-parents who would be available to assist with personal planning and emotional support, and a system for communication with the students' parents. Wouldn't that be cool?

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#2 of 3 Old 06-26-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The University of Washington in Seattle also as an early entrance program, for kids under 15. They have 1 year in "transition school" and then early entrance to the University. But it's not residential.

The Davidson Center for Talent Development also runs a school for middle and high school studies in Reno. But I'm pretty sure the family has to move to Reno to attend.

Maybe I'll feel differently when my daughter's actually a teenager, but I can't imagine sending her to a residential college program at 15!

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#3 of 3 Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
If I had a kid wanting to go to college at 15, a local college would certainly be my preference and my child's too, but since we live in the boonies, there is no such thing for us. We've found other ways to create challenge for our kids between 15 and 17 without college -- though the solutions we found certainly had their limits. I do think that my current 15-year-old would be emotionally ready for a boarding-school-like living situation that allowed her to study at a university. She's moving out partly on her own in a couple of months anyway. And I wouldn't be surprised if my now-11-year-old were similar. My ds17 seems younger and less ready to take on the world than his sister was at his age, so different kids are different, for sure.

On the other hand when my eldest was almost 13 and still scarcely able to endure a sleepover at a friend's house or order her own food at a restaurant, I would never have believed that only two years later she'd be backpacking through Myanmar and Laos for months with some adult friends, half a world away from her family. Things can change really quickly with teens.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page