gifted and APD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gifted and APD

My ds is 5 years old and is currently being diagnosed as having an auditory processing disorder. He also is gifted.

Does anyone else have children like that? I've been told that often gifted people have these secondary "things" going on and that it's very widespread in this subset of the population.

Does anyone have any resources for me? I've been doing a ton of reading on APD and being gifted and implementing different things that are helping him. This is all new to me.

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A FYI if you move and/or talk to the school districts....Some medical fields (and insurance) will not evaluate APD until age 7+ due to developmental growth and/or other co-existing factors that can occur.

You probably could get a 504 for APD accommodations with medical notice of need. Ask whomever did the evaluation.

Not saying that your DS doesnt have APD if he is under 7--, if you suspect it and he has been evaluated for it and found that it is likely-- it is very likely! just tossing out what I've been told by two Childrens Hospitals and several Speech/Lang Therapists. Our insurance also would not cover it until age 7 and the schools did not evaluate for it all!!

I have an 8 yr old DD- will be 4th grade in Fall. We suspected APD for a long time, but no one would eval until age 7. Her teachers (preschool- 3rd) all stated that anything auditory was hard for her even though she was very bright. DD has developed coping skills and is a very fluent reader (many kids w/ APD are not due to processing the sounds differently than standard). She is a dreamer and often can be in her own world a lot. She has a great memory! She excels at school academically and uses a lot of visual cues to compensate (watching other to see what directions were). She is very visual spacial with strengths in math, spelling, reading, and lego/building/puzzles,etc. AT 4-6, it was much more obvious and school asked ' Have you had her hearing checked?" each year. Now that she is older, she has really learned to adapt well.......that said she can not process anything in a noisy environment, makes poor eye contact when speaking, says "What?" a lot, takes time to respond to oral questions/directions, has poor auditory memory, and is VERY sensitive to sounds (lawn mowers, blenders, suspenseful music,etc). She also has some autism-like traits and had a PDD_NOS label from 2-6, but no longer would qualify since she has developed so many coping skills and/or has good communication.

The APD tools we put in to place that have helped are:

* have her repeat oral directions (and keep them shorter)
* use close captioning at school so she can read the 'speech/sound' vs trying to process audio & visual
* kept background noise to a minimum (no TV on unless we are watching it!)
* physically touch her to get her attention in noisy settings instead of calling her name
*gave her wait time to respond to oral questions
*used noise canceling headphones in noisy settings
*Done Auditory therapy 2 x when younger (Therapudic Listening) through an OT
*Visual cues (vs audio) such as lists, signs, etc to help her stay organized.
*Sit near a speaker and/or practice good listening skills (taking turns speaking, face the speaker, ask questions afterward, etc)

Other options we have tossed around but not used:

*FM unit at school to help clarify what she should focus on soundwise
* Language therapy- she struggles w/ idioms & other non-literal language

She is also allowed to excuse herself from movies/music/sounds that are bothering or 'hurting' her ears-- with the exception of fire drills/emergency! She is pretty good about doing this recently and it is a great self-advocacy tool.

Hope this helps!

User Tag List