Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tigerle

#1 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
When grade skippers go to college...

DD 17 heads to college next month. She won't be 18 until next year. She forwards me an email from the school with a form to sign allowing her to leave campus for either college activities or leisure. I tease that I'm not going to sign the papers and she responds with "but mom, I just have to go to Hogsmeeeeeede!!!"

Of course, it's not just grade skippers. I'm sure there are plenty of kids from states with fall cut-offs starting at 17. It just never occurred to me that she'd need to get adult permission to leave the campus at college!

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnextmom View Post
DD 17 heads to college next month. She won't be 18 until next year. She forwards me an email from the school with a form to sign allowing her to leave campus for either college activities or leisure. I tease that I'm not going to sign the papers and she responds with "but mom, I just have to go to Hogsmeeeeeede!!!"

Of course, it's not just grade skippers. I'm sure there are plenty of kids from states with fall cut-offs starting at 17. It just never occurred to me that she'd need to get adult permission to leave the campus at college!
I do love her response.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled when my own child heads of to college in 5-6 years.
Though he's considered a gap year or a year as a foreign exchange student so it may not end up being an issue for him. 5-6 years is still a long ways away.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#3 of 7 Old 07-14-2014, 11:51 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I find this really weird too. Is it normal for colleges in the US to assume a sort of supervisory function over their students? In Canada that's not the case: residence living here is optional and often has very limited availability, and typically operates mostly like an on-campus apartment -- possibly with cafeteria food provided, but often not. Supervision and rules are limited to simple community-harmony rules about noise and such. Heck our high schools are in some ways less controlling than what your dd is experiencing: students freely leave the school grounds at lunch or during breaks or whenever without parental permission. Surely she enjoyed more unfettered freedom while at high school and community college? Must feel a little odd to her.

Anyway, I love the Hogsmeade quip!

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Is it a private college?

I can't imagine anyone trying to enforce a rule like that at our state university. The campus is too open.

So far, the only forms I've had to sign for my DD were waivers for archaeological field study and archaeological survey courses. She isn't legally old enough to sign a legal waiver.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm sure it's all about liability. It's a private school of about 3K and they do a lot in their community as well as send their teams, clubs and performance groups all over the world. There are classes where they are required to go out into the community. They can't really enforce the leisure things but they could stop her from leaving the state with the quidditch team or not letting her travel with a performance group.

I didn't have to sign anything for DD when she was at the local community college during high school. DS is going to high school where they have a multitude of off-campus lunch options and how many kids take public transit to get there and back (it's a charter so no school buses.) Didn't come up there. Maybe this college had an issue in the past and someone tried to sue them or something. That's usually when these legal forms that seem silly come into the picture.

Married mom of two, DD 17 and DS 13.
#6 of 7 Old 07-15-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Just tell her to stay away from the butterbeer!
whatsnextmom likes this.

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#7 of 7 Old 07-16-2014, 04:13 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My dd is 17 and headed off to college. On the printed materials sent to parents, the college said that they treat their 17 year-olds like their 18-year olds. They might as well.....they are all freshmen. I have had to sign a couple of papers because she's 17, though.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page