Characteristics of a gifted toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Characteristics of a gifted toddler?

Hi everyone,
I've been apprehensive of posting a thread like this, but I am looking for some feedback as a first time mama. I am in no way attempting to brag about my child. I think all children are precious and a joyous gift. I am just looking for feedback as I have found that research online is very sparse on the subject and so I'm looking for feedback and experiences from parents of gifted children.
My only son is 23 months old and he seems to display signs of being advanced. I do understand that all children develop at different rates, but I have people constantly telling me how he is advanced and smart for his age. My plan is to homeschool, and would like to prepare myself should we need material that is more advanced than the typical curriculum.

At 23 months:
- counts to 20
- says abc's in English and French and recognizes all letters
- recognizes the following shapes (oval, rectangle, square, circle, triangle)
- put 3-word sentences together
- able to repeat EVERY word he hears (or attempts to if not 100% precise)
- prefers to play with older children only
- barely slept as a newborn (cat napped 15-20 min)
- Knows colours with 85% accuracy
- very sensitive (senses emotions and change in environment)
- extremely curious - always needs to know how to put things together and how things work
- very good memory (memorized songs after 2x of hearing them)
- very active, high energy and needs constant stimulation
- loves being read to
- can count objects with 80% accuracy

Thanks so much and looking forward to hearing your experiences!
#2 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 PM

I sympathize with your situation because I was in your shoes not long ago.

Unfortunately it's impossible to know how gifted your child might be at this point. It sounds as if he has a good memory, but only time will reveal the rest of the picture.

One book that might help is 5 Levels of Gifted by Ruf. It's in NO way perfect, but it will have lots of anecdotal evidence that might be of interest at this time.
#3 of 6 Old 07-14-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynH View Post
I sympathize with your situation because I was in your shoes not long ago.

Unfortunately it's impossible to know how gifted your child might be at this point. It sounds as if he has a good memory, but only time will reveal the rest of the picture.

One book that might help is 5 Levels of Gifted by Ruf. It's in NO way perfect, but it will have lots of anecdotal evidence that might be of interest at this time.
Thank you! I'll check out this book
#4 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Again, I recommend the PBS development tracker. I perfectly get wanting to understand what is going in, but I would not worry about curricula for a kong long time!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#5 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
It does sound like he can do a lot for a tot his age. For a while I thoughts 27 month old might be gifted because of how extremely verbal he is. Now ie settled on knowing that he's smart and I don't really think he's particularly gifted anymore, which is totally cool because being gifted can be very difficult for a child. Anyway, IMO it's best not to worry about these things at this age, best to wait as long as possible (but not too long) to start labelling.
#6 of 6 Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbcroft2214 View Post
My plan is to homeschool, and would like to prepare myself should we need material that is more advanced than the typical curriculum.
My experience homeschooling gifted kids is that they're not usually ready for formal instruction any younger than their non-gifted peers. They're just capable of learning vast amounts informally -- which means there's less rush to jump on the curriculum bandwagon in the early years than with a non-gifted child. You've got years before you need to be thinking curriculum.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Tags
bright , characteristics , gifted , intelligent , Toddler

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page