Characteristics of a gifted toddler?
I've been apprehensive of posting a thread like this, but I am looking for some feedback as a first time mama. I am in no way attempting to brag about my child. I think all children are precious and a joyous gift. I am just looking for feedback as I have found that research online is very sparse on the subject and so I'm looking for feedback and experiences from parents of gifted children.
My only son is 23 months old and he seems to display signs of being advanced. I do understand that all children develop at different rates, but I have people constantly telling me how he is advanced and smart for his age. My plan is to homeschool, and would like to prepare myself should we need material that is more advanced than the typical curriculum.
At 23 months:
- counts to 20
- says abc's in English and French and recognizes all letters
- recognizes the following shapes (oval, rectangle, square, circle, triangle)
- put 3-word sentences together
- able to repeat EVERY word he hears (or attempts to if not 100% precise)
- prefers to play with older children only
- barely slept as a newborn (cat napped 15-20 min)
- Knows colours with 85% accuracy
- very sensitive (senses emotions and change in environment)
- extremely curious - always needs to know how to put things together and how things work
- very good memory (memorized songs after 2x of hearing them)
- very active, high energy and needs constant stimulation
- loves being read to
- can count objects with 80% accuracy
Thanks so much and looking forward to hearing your experiences!