Subtest Scatter on WISC IV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subtest Scatter on WISC IV

Hi - I need help understanding my son's scores on the WISC IV.
He just turned 6. I had him tested because he was complaining school was too easy, not challenging enough. His Kindergarten teacher suggested we have him tested too. Sometimes his work is sloppy and he seems to "mail it in". He gets the concepts quickly but loses interest.
I was torn as to whether to test him because I wasn't sure he would try on the test since he checks out when a topic doesn't interest him.
I didn't like the tester (she seemed rushed and more interested in $ than accurate testing) and he told me after he was bored and the test wasn't interesting. He couldn't wait to be done and go to camp.
Anyhow-
VCI - 134
PRI - 102
PSI - 97
WM - 102
on the PRI he obviously lost interest as he failed to complete the easiest designs on the picture completion and block design subtests.
The kid is reading at a 4th grade level so obviously verbal is his strength. But I have also read that when there is a large gap btwn VCI and PRI there could be a LD.
I am trying to understand if these results are a true picture of his potential or if he checked out because of lack of interest. In school he aced subjects he was into but struggled with the more mundane tasks like handwriting, etc.
I am also wondering if there is a LD at play.
Any insights/thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry I don't have a lot of time to write back right now... but without knowing the rest of the scores (if any other tests etc. were given) the possibility is that the verbal area can be an area of STRENGTH rather then the other areas being areas of WEAKNESS, you know? Not to oversimplify, but all three other Index scores are solidly in the average range, with the VCI in the superior range... in the early grades a lot of the basic academic/pre academic work is very verbally based (think of the basic reading type stuff) so it would completely make sense that your LO would be WAY past all that. In terms of LD, I tend to worry more if an Index score is low when compared to the others, particularly when paired with learning problems) versus one outlying higher Index score, without learning problems, which indicates an area of relative strength (which many people have).

Over simplification, based on too little info, of course
#3 of 7 Old 08-14-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback chiefmir. My other concern is that he performed up to his ability on the verbal section. Then checked out for the rest of the test, especially since he missed some really easy ones in block design and picture completion. It is certainly possible that verbal is a relative strength but when he told me the test was boring and he was uninterested I became concerned.
I know the PRI also tests visual motor skills and attention to detail, two of his weaknesses for sure.
#4 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What I would probably do in your place, without any academic or behavioral or social/emotional concerns in play (I'm assuming?) is to look for ways in school and out of school to program academically to meet your LO's advanced needs right now... and then retest in about 2 years to see how the overall scores have changed/stayed the same. If the pattern is the same, then you likely have a significant strength at play (an 8 year old will be much more likely to maintain overall motivation/cooperation attention etc throughout the entire assessment in my experience). Whereas if there were other factors in play that suppressed the scores, then that should also be obvious at that time. The WISC-IV manual says to avoid retesting for b/w 12-18 months to avoid practice effects artificially inflating the scores, so you'd want to wait at least that long in case anyone ever gave you any grief about it in case your LO went up significantly.
#5 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you chiefmir. That is my plan exactly - retest in 2 years. I do worry about his lack of attention/lack of focus/forgetfulness sometimes both in and out of school. His handwriting is terrible and he gets bored with mundane schoolwork. Getting him to do homework is killer. BUT he loves reading non-fiction books, he is reading at a very high level, researches topics of interest on the computer and carries around a world and US Atlas, memorizing facts, like they are his bibles.
So i dont' know if he has a LD or is just immature and lacks the discipline to focus on tasks and tests that don't interest him.

I am also hopeful that in 2 years he can take the test on an I pad or desktop rather than pencil and paper. That would intrigue him and I know I would get a meaningful score.
#6 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
What you are describing wouldn't meet the criteria for an LD because he is doing fine with academic school work. Messy handwriting is age appropriate, as is a lack of desire to do homework (may be you could request alternate homework if he has already mastered the concepts).

Trouble focusing and forgetting things are completely normal, but if taken to extremes can be signs of ADD/ADHD, not LD.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#7 of 7 Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Linda on the move. Yes, I meant signs of ADD/ADHD. He has a twin sister and a brother one year younger. But neither of them have the same problems focusing. It may just be a personality type or it may be a form of ADD/ADHD. Time will tell.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page