New here and want to know about how giftedness works - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
New here and want to know about how giftedness works

Our public school did the OLSAT test earlier this year in 1st grade. They did not tell us what this test is about and since I had never heard of it I didn't probe too much into it. After school closed and I was online checking something I stumbled on some info on this test and found out that it is an evaluator test for Gifted and Talented children. I checked dd's score and found that she falls in the Gifted category. (This part of the post is repeated from my other post.)

So, if dd's report showed her to be gifted in 1st grade what should we expect in the future? Is it once a gifted child always a gifted child? Or does it change? What has your experience been? Of course I can understand if the child has some major life changes things could change but if things are relatively stable should we expect her to continue to be advanced in higher grades? Sorry, if this is a naive question.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown

Last edited by Neera; 08-30-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The OLSAT is a group IQ test. Generally speaking, barring major extenuating circumstances, IQ is relatively stable. Once gifted, always gifted. There are also achievement tests. These can vary greatly, & are typically where you find kids who end up "leveling out". These children were never more intelligent - simply more experienced, better at test-taking, an early bloomer or possibly pressured to perform.
#3 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting. Thank you for the information.

#4 of 11 Old 08-31-2014, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
AS a group IQ test, the OLSAT would not be considered as reliable as an individual IQ test, such as the WISC or the SB V. If I recall correctly from the discussions on this board (I am not in the US) it does have a fair achievement component, ie is rather more influenced by the childs home life and previous academic exposure than an individual IQ test would be, so it should be considered as a screener rather than a definitive result. If you want the most valid and stable result, you'd have to schedule an individual IQ test for your daughter. If she is in first grade, she is probably 6 or 7, which means that results will be fairly stable as she grows, but it isnt unusual for scores to move up or down by up to 10 points as children grow - due to normal develeopment which happens in leaps and bounds, and due to individual strentghs on different IQ tests (which do try to measure the same thing, general intelligence, but still skew towards different strengths) and due to just how well a child performs on a given day.
So without knowing her scores on the OLSAT and without having individual scores, I'd say you can be certain that she is academically advanced, a high achiever and will probably continue to be so, needing advanced work now and in the future. Whether she will continue to test in the gifted range on whatever tests she is given during her schooling, cannot be predicted as of now.

Edited to say that I realize that you have been given a lot of information already by Miranda in your other thread, and I'll head over there.

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and

Last edited by Tigerle; 08-31-2014 at 04:56 AM.
#5 of 11 Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerle View Post
If she is in first grade, she is probably 6 or 7, which means that results will be fairly stable as she grows, but it isnt unusual for scores to move up or down by up to 10 points as children grow - due to normal develeopment which happens in leaps and bounds, and due to individual strentghs on different IQ tests (which do try to measure the same thing, general intelligence, but still skew towards different strengths) and due to just how well a child performs on a given day.

The results would be fairly stable if we did the I.Q. test or just based on the OLSAT? Thks.

#6 of 11 Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So without knowing her scores on the OLSAT and without having individual scores, I'd say you can be certain that she is academically advanced, a high achiever and will probably continue to be so, needing advanced work now and in the future. Whether she will continue to test in the gifted range on whatever tests she is given during her schooling, cannot be predicted as of now.

I'm sorry I don't get this part. How can I be certain without scores?? although I have her OLSAT score which is a 99.

#7 of 11 Old 09-02-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Whether she will continue to test in the gifted range on whatever tests she is given during her schooling, cannot be predicted as of now.
This contradicts what ShelliF above has mentioned.

Thanks.

#8 of 11 Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post
This contradicts what ShelliF above has mentioned.

Thanks.
That's because different tests measure differently &, as mentioned can vary by about 10pts. If your daughter is anywhere from high-normal to moderately gifted there is a chance her scores could "go either way" depending on where her strengths lie, the test given, the accuracy of the group result, etc. Her *intelligence* is not changing, just the accuracy of the measurement 😊
#9 of 11 Old 09-03-2014, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
What shelli said!

Results tend to be fairly stable with the same type of test. They can vary far more between different types of test, particularly between group iq tests or screeners such as the olsat (which cannot help measuring, in part, skill in multiple choice test taking) and individual iq tests, such as the WISC.

So, her olsat score will most likely remain in the same ballpark. As she has scored so high, in the 99th percentile, yes, it is likely that she will remain in the gifted range on the olsat (*you* know her scores, of course, but *I* didn't when I last posted ). With a multiple choice test you can get lucky and guess right more times than wrong, but not guess yourself in to the 99th percentile as a fluke.

Whether she will score in the gifted range or rather in the high average range on an individual iq test is another matter, but it is very likely she will score highly on that as well. Usually it works the other way round, with highly gifted kids scoring unaccountably low on the olsat because they cannot deal with the multiple choice format, recognizing complexities in the questions that the test creators did not account for.

Whether there is a point in taking a real iq test now depends on what you might need the scores for - changing into a school for the gifted, perhaps, or access to enrichment options outside of school? For the school she is currently at, it is probably a waste of time and money. As I wrote on your other thread, if they want to do something for her now, they have the sky high olsat scores to base it on.

Please check out the hoagies gifted website, tag "parents", page "testing", esp. the articles What do the tests tell us and Why do my child's scores vary from test to test?
You can spend days on that website alone, and find answers for questions you'd never have thought to ask...

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
#10 of 11 Old 09-03-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Got it. Thanks a lot.

#11 of 11 Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Something I forgot to check

Dd was eligible to join this society

National Society for the Gifted and Talented

We got her membership at $100 for a year. I don't know if this was a wise thing to do or not because the summer/fall courses they offer are quite expensive and we will not be doing them because we can't afford them.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thank you.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page