Mothering Forum banner

Question about Gifted organization

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  moominmamma 
#1 ·
Dd was eligible to join this society

National Society for the Gifted and Talented

Are organizations like the above licensed to certify whether you child is gifted or not? We got dd a membership actually because we wanted her school to have something extra (a certifcate from them) for approval for the school's Gifted program.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thank you.

#3 ·
I've never heard of them either.

The way districts qualify students for gifted program varies vastly from district to district. But it's more likely that your district will care about the results of the test your student took that qualified him/her to join this organization.

But they might not. Our last school district accepted only 2 tests, and only if they were the right "form" of the text, and only if they were administered by district personnel. And then everybody who scores above 98% on both test (BOTH tests) got into the program. Our new district does it totally differently.

#4 ·
Thank you. I did that without really looking too much into their credibility. Well, at the time we also thought it is certainly somewhere dd can get some support until the school program begins and were considering spending some money doing their courses. But we backed out as it's just too expensive.

#8 ·
Wildflower, some schools allow dual enrollment. For example, our district does allow a certain amount of handpicking classes by homeschoolers. We knew a kid who came into middle school for only band and science, for example. Another came in for dance and math. It was pretty common. My own DS home schooled PE for a year despite being a full-time student.

You can always ask if your home schooler can participate part-time in the public school program. You do pay property taxes.

#9 ·
Wildflower, some schools allow dual enrollment. For example, our district does allow a certain amount of handpicking classes by homeschoolers. We knew a kid who came into middle school for only band and science, for example. Another came in for dance and math. It was pretty common. My own DS home schooled PE for a year despite being a full-time student.

You can always ask if your home schooler can participate part-time in the public school program. Some schools are open to it.

#10 · (Edited)
Part-time enrolment is (unofficially) allowed in our area for homeschoolers. While we don't have a gifted program, this policy has allowed my unschooled 11-year-old to take a couple of high school courses over the past couple of years. Whether it's allowed where you live or not probably has to do with the funding model used by your state and district: if the school won't get paid for having a homeschooler in one of their classrooms part-time, they are going to be very unlikely to allow it.

And yes, adding that I agree with Aufilia that many of the issues that GATE programs are meant to deal with are circumvented by way of homeschooling. But on the other hand my dd is now 11 and beginning to want to reach out for some group-learning experiences where she's not a complete outlier ... this year if she were to join the school's math class she'd be with the 15- through 18-year-olds, and if she were to join the homeschool math workshop the focus would be on kids age 10-14 who are still mastering the stuff up to pre-algebra.

Miranda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.