Mothering Forum banner

Laurel Springs Academy?

955 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  moominmamma 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone here has used Laurel Springs Academy with their gifted kiddo? I have a 9.5 year old who's gifted in music; he plays cello at a level that's quite advanced for his age. He started at 4.5, and finished the 8th Suzuki book a year or two ago, and is now working on etudes, concertos, other pieces and various exercises and scales. Academically he's a full year ahead of where he would be in public school following his chronological age (he's doing 5th grade), and our curriculum is fairly challenging, at least as far as math and grammar goes. Everything comes easy to him, but he has some challenges: difficulty staying focused and on track, sensory issues, behavioral (at times very oppositional). I just stumbled on the Laurel Springs Academy for the Gifted and Talented website while searching for support groups for homeschooling parents of gifted children, and am intrigued about what they seem to have to offer. We tried Abeka (full curriculum) at the beginning of this school year, and it was a complete disaster for both of us: my son hated the amount of busy work, and I hated the amount of prep work each night! I'd love to hear some feedback of anybody who has used Laurel Springs.

Thanks,
Edith

See less See more
#2 ·
I looked into LSA and the gifted academy for kiddo. Unfortuanelty they weren't advanced enough for us and at age 13 DS entered college.
LSA was wonderful on the phone conferences, they were welcoming and willing to accommodate. It seemed like they TRULY understand gifted but kiddo had done most of the fresh/soph work and repeating it seemed pointless. Plus the tuition OMG... the tuition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.