gifted or strong personality? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gifted or strong personality?

Hi everyone! So since my daughter was a baby (she's 3 now) I always felt like she was different than other kids. She's my only child so I don't have a lot to compare to, but from talking to friends about their kids and based on how my niece was at my daughters age I see something in her that I don't see in other kids. The main thing is that she's always been very determined, independent and strong willed. When she decides she wants to learn something she doesn't let me teach her, I can show her once but if I try again she gets angry, she prefers to figure it out by herself and if things don't come out the way she wants them she gets very frustrated. For example, she recently decided she wanted to learn to tie her shoes and she's been trying for about a week.. she remembers all the steps but she just can't control her hands to do it. Whenever she has a chance to tie her shoes she doesn't let anyone do it and she keeps practicing.. in her pre school there are cameras so I watch her and it's been a couple times in the last couple of days that while all the kids are doing something she's in a corner trying to tie her shoes.. everything related to self care she tries to do by herself since she was around 1... she's always been ahead with her milestones.. overall she learns things very quickly and she has a good memory.. she learned her abcs and counting things (like if I told her can you bring me 2 of something she would actually bring me the correct amount) a couple of months before turning 3.. this is her first time in daycare/preschool so she's never been formally taught anything.. I did teach her to spell her name and a couple of words and she remembers but nothing else.. people are always impressed by the way she interacts with adults and usually they tell me she's very mature for her age.. I have even considered that she might be autistic but then she's very lovable and loves affection and it's very social so I'm less worried about that. Anyways what do you guys think? honestly I feel like she is gifted but then I read about gifted kids her age that are doing things way more advanced like reading, and I'm like well maybe she's not and this is just the way she is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-15-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I think she has the traits. My dd was like that - wanting to do things independently, but not that voracious a reader. Being gifted doesn't necessarily mean being a great reader. I have realized that after some years. Dd is far ahead in reading than children her age, but is not a big fan of reading.

When she was your dd's age, I doubted her abilities and didn't think she'll be able to do more complicated things like tying her shoe laces, but she'd surprise me. As she got older, I was teaching her how to join letters and read 3 letter words, when she read the whole book back to me.

Whether she is or not, I would encourage her to do things by herself if she shows interest, and introduce her to different things, including books, arts and crafts, gardening etc. I am actually in the middle of watching this dvd: Scientific secrets for raising kids who thrive
which I highly recommend. I was able to get it from my local library. Very good tips.

Don't imagine the worst incidents in your emotional life -- keep a positive attitude.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page