Support for Parents of Gifted Children, #2 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2004, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenetabbie
Lisa, my DS does the same thing with art. I noticed since he started school his artwork is much less expressive and detailed, more like all the other kids I suspect.
Yeah, that might be part of it. She has a best friend who does art stuff with her but is not as good at it. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm sure it's a factor since they're always doing everything "together."

Thanks for the replies, Calm and Britishmum. They were really helpful. It's so nice to have this thread here on MDC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2004, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
I still have to consciously fight the urge sometimes to say "I'm smarter than you are, my IQ is xyz and that makes me a better person, ." The fact is, when I was a small child, how smart I was was the *only* positive thing I ever heard about myself.
Oh, my God, Rynna, did you and I grow up in the same house? How come I never saw you there?

Seriously, I also have a compulsion to prove I'm not stupid. For some reason, I always have to say something in conversation to prove I'm not entirely ignorant or dumb about whatever topic is being discussed.

Why do I even care if someone thinks I'm stupid? I think, like Rynna, that it was about the only positive thing I heard certainly from teachers, and one of (I thought) my only redeeming qualities, but why am I not OVER THAT by now, for Chrissakes? :
Old 12-07-2004, 12:46 AM

was not a useful post!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmum
Maybe it's just the raging hormones and severe sleep deprivation. But did any of you find yourselves looking for similarities and differences at the newborn stage?
One thing that's been a saving grace for me is to have a poor memory. Even though they're less than 2 years apart, I honest don't remember much of what each did when. Just a handful of things that I've written about at the time. I had a lot of fears about #2 surpassing #1 in intelligence and how my sensitive #1 would be hurt. But now, I see that it's probably not going to be an issue too much. #2 is obviously more talented musically, but #1 hasn't really noticed. She compliments #2. I don't like to talk so much about age as a progression. #1 used to talk a lot more about the distinctions between baby, little girl, big girl, big big girl, but now that we spend less time with her friends who talked in those terms, she focuses less on that. We emphasize instead observations we make. And we find genuine appreciation for the kids and what they do and how they are. We also spend a lot of time copying one another and playacting. It's been an invaluable tool to teaching us all about the power of compassion and true appreciation of how people are.

I don't worry about #1 feeling bad about being less than #2 'cause I honestly can't see her being less than #1. Now that I've worked my Mom out of my system (my Mom was overt about how much cuter and smarter #2 was compared to #1, which is just manipulative conniving delusional bull shit!). This is all only possible, of course, when I am grounded and clear-headed. Which is a state of mind inherently incompatible with nursing and parenting. :LOL
Old 12-07-2004, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

lckrause-- When I was a kid, I used to do stuff like that if I didn't think that my work was perfect (and I never did, because my mother always acted like it was no big deal no matter how good it was; at least, that's all she said to me ). I was probably 10 or 11 before I started doing things well just for myself. It irritated me that my mother expected perfection of me and only commented when I screwed up, but by that age I was ready to do nice work just to please myself. I learned the violin in a hurry because I wanted to make beautiful music (I was 12). I taught myself to sing just for me, and couldn't have cared less what my mother thought (though she was, grudgingly, very impressed). I decided at 19 that I wanted to learn to draw, so I bought some charcoal pencils and a sketchbook and sat down with a photograph and worked at it for days.. I got pretty decent, too. I learned that I could do these things because they pleased me, and that getting approval or being chastised for being less than perfect were just not relevant to me anymore.

Anyway, I don't know if that's coherent or not, but my point is that for me it was an aspect of my perfectionism. If I couldn't do it absolutely perfectly, I didn't want to try to do it at all, so I would "pretend"-- pretend to write in cursive, pretend to draw a house (though I wasn't much of an artist-- I was always a "make a snake" kid :LOL), etc. I began to outgrow it when I felt that my desires were reason enough to try something, and over the years have grown in my ability to do things with as much kavana as I can, regardless of how good I am, just because it makes me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
Oh, my God, Rynna, did you and I grow up in the same house? How come I never saw you there?
Well, contrary to what my present state might indicate, I was a very slender, petite child....:LOL Maybe we just slipped through different cracks in the floor. :LOL

Quote:
Seriously, I also have a compulsion to prove I'm not stupid. For some reason, I always have to say something in conversation to prove I'm not entirely ignorant or dumb about whatever topic is being discussed.

Why do I even care if someone thinks I'm stupid? I think, like Rynna, that it was about the only positive thing I heard certainly from teachers, and one of (I thought) my only redeeming qualities, but why am I not OVER THAT by now, for Chrissakes?
I still care, and like you I wonder why I haven't outgrown it yet. I think it's enough that I a) refrain from discussing my IQ at every available moment and b) try not to hate myself if people think I'm "normal." I had to seriously teach myself to respect normal people, because even though I stopped making comments (for the most part) I was still a bit of a snob. I'm sure that I missed out on lots of things being a snob, too. When Mike and I started dating, he gave me a book to read and I just wanted to snicker at him because it was a graphic novel. "A comic book? You're kidding me!" "It's not a comic book, it's a graphic novel. Read a page or two, and if you hate it you don't need to read any more." Now they're some of my favorite books (The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman) and I wish I'd read them years before, when another friend introduced me to them.

It's difficult, though. While I was in college, I went crazy a few times and that helped somewhat. It certainly made me appear to be more extroverted than I was, and being a freak was very liberating for me. I stopped being "the smart kid" and became "that crazy chick" or "the girl with the great chest" (to be fair, I'd been "the quiet girl with the great chest" for years before that ). I was, more often than not, still the "smartest" person in the room, but other things about me were more noticeable and I was recognized for them. It was very cool. Well, except the going crazy part... that part really sucked.

Wow, I'm really tired. I guess I should go to bed soon... :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 12-07-2004, 02:15 PM

Deleted to prevent an argument.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
lckrause-- When I was a kid, I used to do stuff like that if I didn't think that my work was perfect (and I never did, because my mother always acted like it was no big deal no matter how good it was; at least, that's all she said to me ). I was probably 10 or 11 before I started doing things well just for myself.
Thanks Rynna, this is very helpful. Yes, she does have a streak of perfectionism, so I guess sometimes it's relaxing for her to whip off a bunch of easy drawings in a row and know she did them well even if it's not her personal "best." You're right, we all do that sometimes!

Also, I just wanted to make it clear that I don't expect her to be "challenging herself" or whatever every minute of every day. I think some of the people on this thread are getting the impression that I have no appreciation for anything she does unless it's a Van Gogh. That is not the case at all. I just found it puzzling why she would do the stick drawings when she doesn't need to. Thanks to your comments, I have a better idea now, so thank you all.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:51 PM

Ickrause, forgive me. I certainly did not mean to imply that you didn't have a deep connection with your daughter or that you weren't absolutely in love with her. I'm sorry if what I wrote hurt your feelings.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingmommy
Ickrause, forgive me. I certainly did not mean to imply that you didn't have a deep connection with your daughter or that you weren't absolutely in love with her. I'm sorry if what I wrote hurt your feelings.
It didn't hurt my feelings as such, it just felt off base to me. The follow-up I posted seemed too argumentative to me, so I deleted it. Don't wanna bring negativity to a support thread.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:07 PM

I have read this thread with interest but haven't posted much lately..my little girl had slowed down a bit(so I thought) she had a huge vocabulary but seemed to stop talking for a bit...didn't seem to be building on it much and I thought "maybe she IS levelling out" maybe I am mistaken about her being a little bit advanced...

I was feeling a bit silly about even posting on this thread a while back...then a few days ago she came over and gave me some of her things and said "I brought da toys mommy"...I nearly fell off my chair...."what? I said "what did you say?" and she giggled her head off and ran a way......

since then she has been speaking more and more often in sentences like that...she has gone from "hi daddy" and "up mommy" to "I have da baby" "mommy have da baby" "it's santa, go ho ho ho"

and she is talking in playgroup...her shyness seems to be going away in that particular setting..she still only talks to me but at least she talks...the public health nurse was at the play group and heard her say "datis cats, dey meow" when pointing to picture on the wall of some cats...(by the way, instead of just naming things now she goes "dat is ..." and names it "datis truck" "datis car") and she said "how old is she" I said "just 17 mos" her eyes got real big..."she's doing well!" and I said "she's surprising me every day"

It's like she held it all in for about a month, 6 weeks and practiced it and then got it good enough to use.

I think she has a bit of that perfectionist trait you are all talking about...wouldn't do it until she got it up to her standard.

all this sounds like a big huge brag doesn't it? (and I guess it is but it's safe to do this here)...but actually it's leading to a question

is this how your kids do things...like they won't try until they think about it over and over and over and have the plan in their heads...I think she was the same with walking...she would walk holding one hand at 11 mos..then she stopped...wouldn't do it...wouldn't try...then at almost 13 mos she just started walking at a family birthday party for my uncle...would walk to the middle of the dance floor and dance...everyone asked "How long has she been walking?" and I said "half an hour...she just started...everybody was like "but she's doing so well" and she rarely ever fell down! I have pictures of her dancing in the crowd...(topless ) and she had never walked before.

Is this a common trait or is she just a cautious personality/or is this a sign that she is a perfectionist.

well she just woke up...she's up there talking to her big sister...better go check on things

I look forward to your insight
Old 12-11-2004, 06:05 PM

Caution is something my DD uses constantly. I wouldn't call it fear, and I wouldn't even call it perfectionism, but she navigates life with much caution and analysis. At a playground, for instance, other kids run at the climbing things and throw themselves on it, fall off, scrabble around, scream, clambor, etc. DD stands at the bottom, looks up, looks down; grips the bars, measures, investigates and then slowly and cleverly makes her way to the top. Sits at the top watching all the others fall off in chaos. She didn't run until mid this year (she is 2y7mo) and only recently started jumping.

I know other moms have perfectionist kids on this thread I recall, and they will have more insight on that aspect I'm sure. DD seems to try anything mental, but is very cautious physically. But I do hear her say a word until she gets it right, which is similar. Like "actually" - she heard me say that once, and put it into her sentences for a while "Well, asshully, mama, I'm hungry." And this went on for a few days until she said, "Actually, I don't like it." I haven't heard the word since. Strange.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Old 12-11-2004, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

allgirls-- My son is nothing like that, but apparently I was. My mom says I used to practice talking when I thought noone was around to hear me as a little tiny baby. She'd walk past my room and hear "da, daba, dama, dala..." and on like that, but when she walked in I'd just stop and smile. I started using words and short sentences, and then a few months later I just talked like person. I did the same thing with crawling and walking (though my mother was much too pregnant to be fully cognisant of it all); she said she doesn't really remember me learning how to walk, but that I ran to her at the door when she brought my brother home and said "It's a baby!" (My brother is 10.5 months younger than I am.)

I think it's just a sign of an analytical mind; she likes to examine things before she gets to it, and that's great. She'll think twice before she lights up a cigarrette, or gets into the backseat with a boy or anything else. Of course, it might not stop her from doing those things, but she'll think about it and have a good reason before she does! I was a bit of a hellion, myself, I can still remember my mom talking to me about marijuana...:LOL

BeanBean is having one of his "brain-spurts" again. My mom didn't see him for a week, and when she did she said "wow, his diction is really improving!" Everyone could tell. He's just such a little person these days. People are totally won over by him, he's just sweet and happy and sociable. We were leaving the community center the other day and he ran ahead of me and around a corner. When I got there, I found that he was sitting on the knee of a college student, who was obligingly holding him up so he could push the buttons on the vending machines. "This is definately one of the most beautiful children I've ever seen," she said to me in a very serious voice. "How old is she?" :LOL "He's 25 months old today, and thank you." "Wow, he talks really well, doesn't he?" :LOL

This morning, Miss BooBah woke up in a pleasant mood. I rolled over to nurse her and she put her mouth to the breast, then pulled off and said "ah-wer." "Hmmm?" (I was half asleep.) She put her hand on my other breast and said "ah-wer sai." "You want the other side?" "Ah-wer sai!" :LOL I rolled over and she just cracked up, all giggles. She didn't actually want the other side, I think she was just making sure she could say it. She cracks me up!

Old 12-12-2004, 01:41 AM

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been checking in every once in awhile. Nothing new to report or to inquire about here. I am a little anxious as we have an appointment for a Early Intervention evaluation in regards to a stutter Sam has had on and off for about 6 months. The doctor is still pretty sure that it is developmental (his poor little mouth can't seem to keep up with his verbal develoment and the thoughts his mind wants to express), but still, I can't help but worry. Not that stuttering would be such a horrible thing, it's just the anticipation of my sweet little boy potentially having something he could be ridiculed for, I'm sure as Mommies you all understand that.

Eilonwy, I really enjoyed your new pictures. Once again, your children are gorgeous! It's really awesome how well your daughter is doing communicating with you and it looks like your son had a blast at his 2nd birthday party. You actually inspired me to sign up for Shutterfly so I could post some pictures. I've only posted a couple, but here they are. One is of a drawing Sam recently did for me (us, some flowers and the sun at the zoo, I just love our "striped prisonesque attire") and the other is just a miscellaneous Christmas picture. I know this sounds totally cliche, but I just don't know where the last 2 1/2 years have gone, I miss by baby (but I am also in awe and feel so blessed to be able to watch him blossom into the man he'll become).

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?...ZtW7gY&notag=1

Well, hope everyone is well!
Old 12-12-2004, 02:20 AM

Thanks so much for answering...yeah cautious is indeed the word for this child...it's kind of a relief considering my last one was such a wild one...I much prefer the cautious analytical type as a child...of course it's completely the opposite of me~LOL...I am as impulsive as can be and trying to curb it and hubby is the analytical, take his time and weigh it all out who threw it all to the wind in his first fit of impulsiveness and took me on...we are so opposite each striving to appreciate and actually be more like the other...

I think she is figuring out how to climb out of her crib btw!

I think I met a gifted child today...she's almost 2, can't speak well but quite a little character..quite brilliant at making her needs known with expression and gesture...I think she's quite advanced but I think her mom thinks she's actually behind due to her speech being slow..I can't put my finger on it but she had "something"!

I bet when she starts talking mom will be blown away!
Old 12-12-2004, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypoonchkie
Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been checking in every once in awhile. Nothing new to report or to inquire about here. I am a little anxious as we have an appointment for a Early Intervention evaluation in regards to a stutter Sam has had on and off for about 6 months. The doctor is still pretty sure that it is developmental (his poor little mouth can't seem to keep up with his verbal develoment and the thoughts his mind wants to express), but still, I can't help but worry. Not that stuttering would be such a horrible thing, it's just the anticipation of my sweet little boy potentially having something he could be ridiculed for, I'm sure as Mommies you all understand that.
I wouldn't worry about the stuttering too much unless it's pretty severe. Hollis stuttered for quite a while but it gradually faded to the point where he only now does it once in a while if he's trying to get an idea/story out too fast.

They do grow fast, don't they!

(P.S. I already commented on your pics over on the HG board, LOL)
Old 12-12-2004, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

luvmypoonchkie-- thanks! I'm organizing those pictures to burn them for MIL for her x-mas present, and of course to get some new ones into my sig. I've got to do a BooBah collection, and then maybe one for me & Mike (or not-- we're both fat and most of the time we don't feel terribly photogenic).

I am constantly amazed at how well my babies communicate. BeanBean talks like a person now, and BooBah can often make her feelings known. She really gets a kick out of it when I understand her, and I have the distinct impression that she thinks it's my fault when I don't. :LOL I wish she could tell me exactly what was going on with her more often, but when she's in pain she just cries and cries and gets frustrated. I can't really ask more of her (I'm a grownup and I've been speaking well for more than 26 years, but I'm still less coherent when I'm in pain, and I know what's going on) but it's really difficult for me to see her hurting and not know why or how to fix it.

She does really cute stuff that she sees her brother doing; I just love that she has an older sibling, I think it will help her in so many ways. When she's finished nursing, she pulls my shirt down because I always remind BeanBean to put the nursie away when he's finished. She got the "other side" thing from him, too, and asks to nurse in the same voice that he uses. It's wonderful! Siblings are amazing.

Old 12-13-2004, 06:24 AM

I must admit, I took a sneaky peek at your pics, Eilonwy. Gorgeous! Lovely children and such a happy vibe.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Old 12-14-2004, 03:13 AM

Wow, talk about amazing pics and a gorgeous family, yourself, Calm!!

(Hi, by the way.. been reading this thread a bit but haven't posted yet. I've got 2 DD's.. DD#1 is 3.5 yrs, she's been reading since she was 2.5 -- I think she's reading at around a grade 4 level now. DD#2 is 6 months old and we've started teaching her sign language, which worked phenomenally well with DD#1.)

Cheers!
Nicki

Mum to : Chloë(May 01) and Molly(June 04)
Old 12-14-2004, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, calm! My kids are very happy little people, for the most part.

My mom has been on my case again, saying "you were never two, you skipped from 11 months to four and a half...." and such things. She'll point to BeanBean and say "do you realize that you were starting to read at his age? you could pick up a book and read it!" : Yes, but I couldn't walk up to a stranger and say anything at all, let alone "Hi, you're the neighbor, you drive a Mitsubishi!" I was already getting to be introspective and weird at 25 months.

I don't see why she feels this need to evaluate and compare her own grandchild to her children. Why can't she just accept that his life is better and that he's a happier kid than any of hers ever were? He's not stupid, he's very bright, but he's not "scary-bright" like we were so it's not enough. She's still holding out hope that BooBah will be like we were, so that people will believe her. When all I care about is getting her through a year without another UTI! Her attitude just seems so selfish and counter productive and really irritating.....: Blech.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:28 PM

Wow, Eilonwy, your mom priorities are strange. Intelligence is a small part of life, it is like beautiful people - it is just something that may help in some ways. The ultimate achievement is happiness, and I've seen many "average to low intelligence" people reeeeeeally happy. Your kids are happy, she should be gloating over that. I know too many kids who are already on some kinda mood drug or are simply miserable and acting out types. A person that brightens another's day - now THAT is worth writing in the history books! It just doesn't ring as nice when a epitaph is -

Here lay Joe Bloggs. A seriously miserable git, but had an IQ of 165!

Old 12-15-2004, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calm
Here lay Joe Bloggs. A seriously miserable git, but had an IQ of 165!
:

Of course my mom's priorities are strange. She can't really count herself successful in any way, either, so she, like so many other miserable gits, clings to her high IQ and those of her children as proof that she's not entirely worthless.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

So...does anyone have a kid who doesn't sleep? I'm not even sure if this is really a gifted issue or not; I've heard lots of anecdotal evidence to indicate that it is, but I don't know if there's any scientific evidence to that effect. At any rate, BeanBean has suddenly decided that he needs a lot less sleep... like, less than I do. I didn't sleep much before I got pregnant, but since then I've needed a lot more sleep. He's fine on 6 hours of sleep a night, and two hours of naptime. : At his best, he's slept for about 9 hours at night with no nap at all. I totally need more sleep than this, especially when I forget my vitamins or something. He gets up and does strange things... like, taking a ball of yarn and rolling it all over the floor and telling me about all the triangles he made. So I wake up and my first reaction is, great, I've got to roll my yarn balls up again, and I'm too tired to think about anything but getting to the bathroom. Then I hear him talk and he's all excited about how there are triangles all over the floor, look, momma, there are four triangles.... and I can't help but be happy with him.

He's really into shapes and colors right now. He's been using them/aware of them for several months, but now he's starting to notice that they are more than what they are. For example, he can say "my yellow toothbrush" to distinguish it from "my red toothbrush" or "mommy's white toothbrush," rather than just responding with the correct color when asked. This afternoon, he found some glass bottles in the recycling bin, took them out and made a pattern with them and told me "mommy, the drinks make two triangles, look at the triangles!" He's known about triangles for a long time, but it's like there's a new connection there that wasn't there before... all of a sudden, triangle means something more than the picture of an equilateral triangle that you see in books.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:52 PM

I'm going through the same thing with Sam. We had to cut naps out because we would put him to bed at 9 or so and he would lie in bed until almost midnight singing and talking to himself. He's usually up by 7 or 8 in the morning. No naps is an absolute DREAM for him, I however, really, really miss his nap. I really need that hour to myself to have a cup of tea, straighten up the house and of course take a quick peek at my message boards. I've decided to start trying to get him outside for a while each morning, whether it's taking a walk to the library, shoveling snow or walking around the zoo. I'm REALLY HOPING this will tire him out and I can try and sneak in a 1 hr nap and still get him to sleep at a decent hour. I never needed a lot of sleep either and I still have to force myself to go to bed by 1 or 2. I just seem to have all my energy at night.

Jenn
Old 12-16-2004, 09:40 PM

Hollis never really took naps. When he was a newborn he slept about 9 hours at night and took one (1) 20 minute nap during the day. I don't want to scare you, but he never did start sleeping as much as they are "supposed" to and it didn't get better until he was 3 or 4 and was able to entertain himself safely while I slept in. He's 9 now and sleeps about 7-8 hours a night. Last night he went to sleep between 12:30 and 1AM and woke up well before 9 (I woke at 8:30 and he was already up).
Old 12-16-2004, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause
Hollis never really took naps. When he was a newborn he slept about 9 hours at night and took one (1) 20 minute nap during the day. I don't want to scare you, but he never did start sleeping as much as they are "supposed" to and it didn't get better until he was 3 or 4 and was able to entertain himself safely while I slept in. He's 9 now and sleeps about 7-8 hours a night. Last night he went to sleep between 12:30 and 1AM and woke up well before 9 (I woke at 8:30 and he was already up).

See, I was like this too. My brother and I used to go to bed at 10, wake up at 2 am and write computer programs (for the Commodore 64! :LOL). We'd make a pot of red zinger and write programs. I woke up more often than my brother did; whenever he woke up, he'd wake me. Sometimes I'd wake up and have some tea and watch tv or daven if it was fairly "late." The thing is, when I was 2 I wouldn't do the things that my son does. BeanBean showed me last night that he knows just how many things he needs to stack up in order to open every lock on the front door, and he knows that he has to move the stuff before he can actually open the door. I don't trust him to be awake by himself, so I force myself to wake up and nurse him, and then to get up with him when he's finished. It's making me completely loopy-- ever since I got pregnant with him, I've desperately needed more sleep than I get. Rarely do I wake up refreshed; instead, I look at the clock and start counting the minutes until Mike is home. *sigh*

Old 12-17-2004, 12:47 AM

Quote:
He's been using them/aware of them for several months, but now he's starting to notice that they are more than what they are. For example, he can say "my yellow toothbrush" to distinguish it from "my red toothbrush" or "mommy's white toothbrush," rather than just responding with the correct color when asked. This afternoon, he found some glass bottles in the recycling bin, took them out and made a pattern with them and told me "mommy, the drinks make two triangles, look at the triangles!" He's known about triangles for a long time, but it's like there's a new connection there that wasn't there before... all of a sudden, triangle means something more than the picture of an equilateral triangle that you see in books.

I could have written this entire paragraph! It is exactly what is going on with Dylan right now.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

Old 12-17-2004, 02:07 AM

We've got a night owl here too. Apsu can stay up way past my bedtime.

On another note, I found out that I can have him tested by a licensed psychologist for free through our state program next month. I questioned them about the type of screening etc. I am really considering it if it will help our homeschooling experience. I was in school this semester and tried to homeschool too, but Apsu was at the children's center for a few hours. His teacher said he spent most of his time alone reading or drawing. They were making shapes and going over colors, but he is waaaaaayyyyy past this.

I have always been skepitical about testing at such a young age, but I think it will help me place him in an enriching and challenging environment at home and elsewhere.

Has anyone else had this crisis? I am hoping that this screening can identify his particular talents. Do you all think this is too early he is 3 years and a few months?

Thanks for input in advance.

Gia
Old 12-17-2004, 02:09 AM

By the way ignore my stupid spelling mistakes...... :LOL
I am so ashamed :
Old 12-17-2004, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Why do you want him tested, if you're not planning to put him in school? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but if he's not going to school, does it really need to be done? Will he get anything extra from the district if he's formally tested?

Old 12-17-2004, 06:21 AM

DD1, newly 3, stopped napping at 2ish; it was a rough 2 month transition. She gets 10-11 hours a night though (thank goodness), but that's down from 11-13 at the beginning of this calandar year. 5mo DD2 sleeps well at night (well, barring teething), but gets maybe 1.5 hours of naps total. And here I was worrying only a few months back about her sleeping so much.

User Tag List