Support for Parents of Gifted Children, #3 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2005, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As for the "true giftedness and age 3" comments:

I think this is true for some kids. If the parents push or a child picks up basic things very well, then as they get older, they level out and reach average or higher than average levels.

For other kids, it is clear from early on. I think Goo, like me, is a "high average". My IQ was in the 130-140 range when it was tested. I don't think I need to take her out of public schools to get her a good education, but I don't know if it will challenge her enough.

I think it really depends. It is clear that Hollis has a strong gift and that must have been pretty clear from the start.

----

BTW- Goo is asking to learn new words in her Dora books and Moo is also trying to walk.. I think BeanBean and Boobah must be on the same wavelength!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2005, 07:34 PM

Hi all - I've finally worked up the courage to post here! (I wonder if anyone is reading these posts at page 20 though?) I don't know about the whole "gifted" phenomenon, really, but I think L would certainly be considered very smart. At 19 mos. she already knew the alphabet, or at least had memorized it, and several songs such as "Twinkle, Twinkle.." I swear this girl has been reading stories, too. Sometimes it seems like she must have memorized passages, but other times there's just no way she could have. I think about a month ago it was that we were looking at an Audobon mag and she pointed to this photo next to an article and said "Eels!" excitedly. Well, let me tell you, I didn't know that those things were eels right away, and I sure don't know how she did. She's always loved to read stories (this girl would sit through "Blueberries for Sal" at 11 mos.), and she's also been into counting things for the past 3 months or so. Right now (21 mos.) she's interested in identifying insects outside, playing make-believe, making up her own songs, and she loves the Frances (the badger) books. I'm trying to do my best to not push her, though.

One thing I've noticed for quite awhile is that L is quite outgoing and wants to play with other little children. (The other night I was singing her the "Say say oh playmate" song and afterwards she said she wanted to go to the library to play with the other babies - oh so sweet!) She has never regularly been around other kids, no daycare, no siblings, etc. Still, she will approach other (older or younger) kids and say things like "Hi, how-ya-doin?" The really weird thing to me is that so many of these kids just don't know how to react, or react at all. At first I thought it was just another symptom of our growing collective alienation, but now I'm wondering if it's that she's at a different level than other kids her age?
Old 04-14-2005, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar
I think it really depends. It is clear that Hollis has a strong gift and that must have been pretty clear from the start.
Where did that come from? :LOL Dang, if it was something 15 pages back there's no way I'll remember.

Anyway, welcome PaganScribe and momtolittlelilly! If you don't mind hearing from someone who just broke her plastic garden rake accidentally tearing up a root (don't ask), it sounds like you'll find a lot of good advice on this thread.

Now... does anyone know a magic spell for removing 6 months of winter leaves and sticks from half of one's yard (the other half being already raked)? Come on, I know there are some geniuses here.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckrause
Now... does anyone know a magic spell for removing 6 months of winter leaves and sticks from half of one's yard (the other half being already raked)? Come on, I know there are some geniuses here.
Well, you could probably use "evanesco," but that only works if you have a wand. Otherwise, you're stuck with doing it Muggle-style.

Quote:
How about someone starting a new thread? (hint, eilonwy, you're always good at that )
Okay, if I must. :LOL New thread.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 04-15-2005, 05:46 PM

This is my first time posting here & I apologize if I am jumping in just as it looks like you are about to start a new thread.

I saw this addressed a bit in this thread (Paganscribe's post, I think), but I am wondering how you all go about dealing with other parents who are jealous and/or competitive. We have really been having a hard time with this this year w/ my dd's bestfriend's mom. Our kids are 4 months apart in age, but in different grades b/c mine just made the cut-off to start kg last year. This whole year since dd's friend started kg, I have heard non-stop from the mom of this kid how smart her kid is & how much better than my dd.

She called me yesterday to tell me that her kg teacher told her that her child is reading level 8 books & is at a 3rd grade reading level. Now, I know that there are other children who are brighter than my dd. My dd is a smart girl & is above grade level for math & reading (4th-5th for reading & 2nd-3rd for math - she's in first), but I know that she is not the smartest kid around. If a parent whose child truly was academically beyond my dd told me so, it would not bug me in the least. It would just be the way things are.

However, I know how the reader level system works in this school & level 8 books are late year kindergarten books. They expect them to be at 16-20 level at the start of 2nd grade, so I know that level 8 isn't third grade level. I have also seen her dd read (since mom keeps sitting her dd down in front of us & having her read) & she can read really basic stuff like Dick & Jane okay, but she isn't above grade level.

This mom seems to be on a mission to show me how her dd is doing as well (or generally better) than my dd despite being in a younger grade. It is really irking me although I'm sure that it is coming from insecurity or maybe she really does think that her kids is smarter than she is. I don't want to ruin a friendship, but I really would like her to lay off. I also feel badly if the kg teacher (who is pretty inexperienced) is really telling her that her dd is that advanced b/c she is going to be in for a rude awakening at some point when she has a more experienced teacher. Do I just let this drop & try to work on not getting irritated myself when a mom whose kid is very average (but a just fine kid) keeps telling me that her dd is smarter than my child (who really is advanced)?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:53 AM

ChristaN, I quoted your post in its entirety in the new thread.

User Tag List