Support for Parents of Gifted Children, #4 - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2005, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
This one guy insisted and insisted that having a wide gap between any skill levels was "a learning disability."
I've actually heard this-- that any wide gap between skill levels is, technically, a learning disability, without regard to "average." In other words, if an 8 year old is doing 9th grade work in every subject except for math, in which they do 6th grade work, they're technically learning disabled. I understand where they're coming from, but it doesn't seem like a reasonable thing to point out most of the time. The only case where it becomes reasonable is one where a parent is trying to get special services from a school district, and they'll freely provide them to a learning disabled student but getting them for a gifted student would be like pulling teeth.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
So she's autistic," he said, looking at my kid who was busy playing with her friend W. and laughing.

"Uh...no. No, not really," I said.

"Well," he said, "Just wait till she's six or seven. Then her learning disability will show up then."
Oh, that would make me really mad ! I hate know-it-alls!

So, you didn't slug the guy did you :LOL ?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:43 PM

The school district psychologist who tested Hollis concluded he had "language issues" because he had a lisp and the subtest scores on his IQ and achievement tests were far apart (note: he did not finish all sections of the IQ test because he talked through the timed portions and she couldn't keep him on task). Oh, and also because when she told him to write "at least five sentences" about a picture, he did exactly that--wrote five short, factual sentences. Apparently he was "supposed" to write them in narrative/story form, and she showed me the directions as proof. The directions said "Write a paragraph of at least five sentences to describe what is happening in this picture." The picture was of an astronaut standing next to his spaceship on the moon, so I'm sure you can guess the general content of Hollis' paragraph. :LOL

BTW, his lowest achievement test scores (reading comprehension) were at a 5th grade level and his highest (math computation) at 10th grade level. He was 7!! Now, I freely admit that his "language skills" are not up to par with his math skills, but I think it's a bit much to conclude he has "language issues" because of the discrepancy. Just one of the many many reasons I regret having him tested and would only do so again with someone who knew what the heck they were doing (this lady had never tested a highly gifted child before).

Okay, I will stop ranting now and wish Moo and Boobah very happy birthdays!
Old 06-26-2005, 10:18 PM

Another one. Last night at a dinner party we were hosting, I enjoyed an extended conversation about homeschooling and gifted education in general with one of our guests. His mom is an early elementary teacher and he's been brainwashed against homeschooling in general, but he was a gifted kid and was pretty much an slacker throughout his public school career. We're good friends, and this particular back and forth is a favourite of ours. He teases me about all the illiterate homeschooled kids his mom has tutored and I kid him about the frightening number of illiterate kids in schools.

The topic turned to gifted education. Another guest, an unemployed teacher, interjected himself into the converstation and stated, "I believe that public schools are only responsible for the education of children to a certain base level and any enrichment beyond that is solely up to the parents." When I pointed out what a disadvantage that would put poor gifted students at (kids who often end up dropping out), his answer was, "Yeah, so?" At this point I stated that this was one of the reasons I'd chosen to homeschool, because the needs of my daughter wouldn't begin to be taken into consideration in such a system. Since DH and I were hosting the party, I didn't further pursue the point. I don't think I could have done so in a civil manner.

And now for something completely different...

DD does prefer to play with older kids, but she does fine with highly verbal kids her own age. There are a couple of friends in particular who are within a year and a half of her age she sees on a regular basis. She can play with other children her age, but doesn't talk as much to them. However, she likes to talk, and given the choice of a fellow three year old at the park or the store and their parents, she'll choose the parents.

I hope the birthday weekend went well for everyone.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHiddenFees
Another guest, an unemployed teacher, interjected himself into the converstation and stated, "I believe that public schools are only responsible for the education of children to a certain base level and any enrichment beyond that is soley up to the parents." When I pointed out what a disadvantage that would put poor gifted students in (kids who often end up dropping out), his answer was, "Yeah, so?"
I do wish him well...in a NEW career.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
When I pointed out what a disadvantage that would put poor gifted students at (kids who often end up dropping out), his answer was, "Yeah, so?"
:

OMG, That is exactly the reason my kids will never go to public school as long as I can breathe. : Good grief, I hope he never "teaches" again. :

(Ever notice that I use a lot of smilies when I get upset? :LOL)

The birthday party was great fun; I've got pictures in my sig. BooBah was adorable! We watched some videos that I shot last year of BooBah meeting her great grandmother (there's a neat picture where you can see BooBah and newborn BooBah on the TV screen), and while the differences were striking, what really threw me for a loop was watching BeanBean. Holy moly, he looks so *old* now compared to last year! He's lost all of that roundness in his face and he's such a big boy! : It's just so amazing to me, to see that little guy on video and realize that not only is he a year older now, he's about 5 inches taller and looks like a little boy and not a baby at all. :

My insomnia is back. I think it would have come back when BeanBean was about this age, but I was pregnant then. :LOL Part of me wants to get pregnant now just so I can sleep again. Isn't that terrible?!

Old 06-27-2005, 11:09 AM

Rynna, those pictures of BooBah's party are great. I love her little purple dress! She looks so thoughtful.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Lisa! I love your blog but, um, where's the rest of it? :LOL

I'm so pleased with the way that dress came out. I rock at this domestic stuff. Last night, I sewed another dress for BooBah which came out *beautifully*; It's for fall, to go over a turtleneck and tights and I made it with freecycled material. I'm just tickled pink about it all. Oh, and I sewed some more curtains, also from the freecycled material. Freecycle is almost unbelievably cool. You get rid of crap you don't need, and you get cool stuff from other people. It's totally amazing!

In other news: I lost my WIC checks this month. I'm horribly depressed about this, it sucks ass and I"m pissed off. I ought to be looking for them right now, but I can't think of anyplace else to look. Blech.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Thanks, Lisa! I love your blog but, um, where's the rest of it? :LOL
Hey, I just started it this week. Give me time! :LOL

Quote:
I'm so pleased with the way that dress came out. I rock at this domestic stuff.
Wow, you made it?! I'm even more impressed. Dang, I can't even sew a button.

Quote:
In other news: I lost my WIC checks this month. I'm horribly depressed about this, it sucks ass and I"m pissed off. I ought to be looking for them right now, but I can't think of anyplace else to look. Blech.
I'm the expert at losing checks. I put the child support check in the exact same place every month and I always manage to temporarily lose it anyway. Luckily I usually find it quickly. I sympathize with you! It makes me so mad when I can't find something. I'm like a baby. :LOL
Old 06-27-2005, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

I did make the dress! I'm just unbelievably proud of myself, I have to find more excuses to brag about it (hence the "Look what I did!" link). :LOL BooBah is an incredibly thoughtful-looking girl. She's very serious and sober a lot of the time. She's relaxed, but you can always tell that her little brain is going a mile a minute. She thinks things through very carefully, and she does very deliberate experiments. She's also in the midst of a language explosion (BeanBean had one at about 14 months, iirc, but he had many more single words by this age) and I think she's working on some new teeth. She's stepped up her nursing in a big way over the past week, and I'm sure that it's related to the language or the teeth or both, because her body sure as heck isn't getting any bigger. She gained a pound of water when we upped her salt, and her eyes look brighter and healthier, but that's about it. :LOL

BeanBean and BooBah have been frenetic today, and have driven me nuts all day long. I told Mike that I understand how people could be jealous of a gifted 8 year old, how they could wish that their own children were like that, but they don't seem to realize that once upon a time, that gifted 8 year old was a gifted 12 month old who was thrilled to bits when they discovered that they, too, could turn off the television in no less than three ways. : Years ago, they were the 2.5 year old who said, "I am not listening because I don't want to understand you, I just want to destroy something/crash my car/turn the ac off." Or the one who, when confronted with something they had done replied, "I'm only two! What do you want from me?"

I can't wait to hear the four year old arguments.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:42 PM

Oh Rynna, the excuses get so much more fun and difficult to argue with (by the way, the dress is ADORABLE, as is your birthday girl, and you're so right, BeanBean looks like such a little boy now). Anyway, just the other day Sam managed to poke himself in the tonsil with a stick from this silly honey bee game that someone on some board that I like to post on "highly reccomended". Now, he's really never been the type of kid who puts stuff in his mouth, a little when he was teething maybe, but other than that I could pretty much keep things with small pieces out without worrying he would put them in his mouth. So after I freak out about his slightly bleeding tonsil I ask him why he put the stick in his mouth to begin with. He says to me (very matter of factly) "Well, actually mommy, I didn't put them IN my mouth, I was just CARRYING them with my lips, because I was just thinking that I REALLY WISH I was a REAL beaver, and I was carrying those sticks to make my home. And do you think we could go to the store and you could find me a beaver costume". He's always got a semi-reasonable excuse for things like sawing a styrafoam ball in half with his pretend saw making a huge mess of little styrafoam bits or tying up my entire house in a labyrinth of string and tape to make an intricate pully system to open and close the hallway door.

On another note, Sam's been in a sort of a drawing "rage" as of late. His drawings have been focused on spaceships though. They don't really look like spaceships (but then again he's never actually seen a spaceship for that matter). He gets very intense and won't let anyone see them until they are "finished". He gets up in the morning and wants to draw. On a couple of days I've had to pry him away from his drawing to eat and even do the things he LOVES, like go swimming at his cousins house. He's very deliberate and thoughtful about where each line and dot should go. They all start out the same, with the same shape, but then they all end up looking a little different depending on how long he works on them. He's also done a couple of other standard kid fare type stuff (a fierce tuna, a lion and my mom's cat). Here's a couple pics, the last ones are some of the 100 or so spaceships that have piled up. I know that they're not out of the ordinary, but his intensity is what gets me.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b302/s...t=DSCN3099.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b302/s...t=DSCN3098.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b302/s...t=DSCN3100.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b302/s...t=DSCN3103.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b302/s...t=DSCN3102.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b302/s...t=DSCN3101.jpg

Jenn
Sam 3-21-02
Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Another guest, an unemployed teacher, interjected himself into the converstation and stated, "I believe that public schools are only responsible for the education of children to a certain base level and any enrichment beyond that is solely up to the parents." When I pointed out what a disadvantage that would put poor gifted students at (kids who often end up dropping out), his answer was, "Yeah, so?"
Well maybe it's best he's unemployed :
Old 06-28-2005, 05:26 PM

New Thread!!!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=306933

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 07-11-2005, 05:24 PM

I started Kindergarden when I was 4 yrs.4mos. old and so everyone was always older than me all thru school by at least a year and mostly 1-1/2 years older. It never was a problem even in high school. I always had older friends anyways being a bit too smart for the younger kids and kids my age. The school actually wanted me to skip another grade b/c of my not being challenged enough but my mother wouldn't allow it based on her fears of a 12 yr. old wanting to date high school boys. It really would have been better for me to be skipped though b/c I ended up cutting out of 12th grade out of extreme ennui (boredom) with life and getting into dance clubs, etc... that were more challenging and interesting. She should have let me at least be academically challenged to my level, but she wasn't smart enough to figure that one out. Anyways, my 2 cents.

User Tag List