Gifted starting kindergarten early..? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 93 Old 08-03-2005, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Shiloh]my dh is a genius - profoundly gifted in math/sci/comp. wheras me I am a generalist....I think is common in the gifted female..
QUOTE]
Are you sure we aren't married to the same guy? Too funny. Mine too. Cool news. He just got a new job working graveyard shift (10p-6a) so he can be home more with the kids in the morning. We are a bit apprehensive about the hours but he never sleeps at night anyways, so he figured he'd try actually getting paid for not sleeping.

On the topic of gifted math, my dd is definitely math gifted. I always loved math, sounds stupid, but I didn't do well in Calculus (never went, I think once or twice, but other than that), I am already worrying that I won't be able to help her with her math in a few years. Does anyone just freak out when they think about what they want to teach their kids and wonder if they can't teach it all to them? Is it weird to want to private tutor your kids so you know they are learning the stuff they are capable of learning in a non-competitive environment? Am I being too controlling like one of my best (non-gifted) friends just told me on the phone tonight? I am a worry wort!

Since they are too young to be accepted to preschool anywhere near me, I have decided to try teaching the twins pre-school this year and see how my unschooling goes to decide if I want to enroll them in a preschool next year when they are 3. I have a lot of activities that we do regularly and I am going to try to make a more scheduled week so that I don't miss some out of stupid busy-ness, like going every week to the zoo and aquarium. There's so much that they miss in just a short visit, I figure if we go every week instead of just once a month then we can get more in depth in the experience each time, you know, just look at one type of animal and really observe that, like the butterflies or the monkeys.

I read about mothers planning to homeschool and am openly wondering if you have to relearn what you knew years ago or did you just remember it all? I do NOT remember it all, my memory is shot and I truly wonder if I could homeschool my kids if I needed to. Physics was a bad subject for me too, I never went so I never learned it, actually didn't enjoy it. Chemistry was a good one, and so on, I just wonder about my profiency in the subjects. I know I could at least get them thru kindergarten (their gifted K, which will probably be around Grade3-4 for a normal kid) but then I read about the Waldorf shapes leading into natural reading and I thought I should be doing that with them right now! I feel so incompetent when it comes to something so serious as their education.

Hmmm.... what do you all teach your homeschooled kids? And how? Do you follow textbooks? Maybe I need to start a new thread about homeschooling gifted kids and how. I am really interested in it it seems like a more natural approach than a gifted school that I am researching(Long Island School for the Gifted, anyone know about it?). I know that at least I am mildly to very interested in homeschooling until K and then I was thinking I could try to get them advanced placements in PS or a good private school that understands giftedness (haha, I am still trying to find one). But if the kids are 5 years old and tested to be at Grade 4, can a PS or Private School really insist on them going into their K based on their age? Does anyone know about this?
#92 of 93 Old 08-03-2005, 09:30 AM

As far as gifted homeschooling goes, have you been following the gifted kids thread? I thnk that's come up there a few times.
My first-stop resource for gifted stuff is www.hoagies.com, and I know there are lots of links there for HSing groups and info. THere's also www.learninfreedom.org, owned by a very GT guy, which I have found very helpful in adjusting my attitude towartd schools and teachers.

In short, you don't have to know anything to teach your own kids at home, you just have to be willing to learn along wtih them, and able to access resources. With the internet, resources, even for higher math, are not a problem.

Mostly, though, don't get ahead of yourself. If your kids are ready for calculus and physics in pre-k, you worry about that then, if they're not, wok on what they *are* ready for, and keep your eye out for clues about what they might find interesting.

My 5yo was very interested in letter-forms and reading before she went to a Waldorf-influenced daycare for a few months. around age 2.5 She is now convinced that she is too little to read, and can't read until she goes to real school. (Don't tell her that starfall.com has her reading already <LOL!>)

I cannot begin to tell you how that infuriates me. I wouldn't touch Waldorf again if we got paid to send her. She will be going to a regular public K this year, but I'll be keeping a close eye on things there. If I hear any stingy librarian stories or "you're not old enough to learn that" crap, it will be taken care of, or she will be outta there.
#93 of 93 Old 08-03-2005, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Shiloh]my dh is a genius - profoundly gifted in math/sci/comp. wheras me I am a generalist....I think is common in the gifted female..
QUOTE]
Are you sure we aren't married to the same guy? Too funny. Mine too.
=But maybe its because as strong intelligent women we could only really respect a man if he was profoundly gifted Really I'd drive a 'smart' guy nuts

Cool news. He just got a new job working graveyard shift (10p-6a) so he can be home more with the kids in the morning. We are a bit apprehensive about the hours but he never sleeps at night anyways, so he figured he'd try actually getting paid for not sleeping.
=LOL MINE TOO, 5 hours is enough for him, 7 hours is holidays and anything over 8 he's deathly sick!

On the topic of gifted math, my dd is definitely math gifted. I always loved math, sounds stupid, but I didn't do well in Calculus (never went, I think once or twice, but other than that),
=lol me too, Finite, Algebra but Calculus I got bored...

I am already worrying that I won't be able to help her with her math in a few years. Does anyone just freak out when they think about what they want to teach their kids and wonder if they can't teach it all to them?
= DO NOT HELP YOUR KIDS my mom is a math teacher, now a math professor at university - I never let her help me They got to figure it out on their own, or get a tutor but parents tutoring doesn't work as you know when your kid is lying, distracted, frustrated....

I read about mothers planning to homeschool and am openly wondering if you have to relearn what you knew years ago or did you just remember it all?
=HA, I think you'd be relearning alot....of things you never liked like sentence structure...or things you never learned - I never learned phonics as I learned to read at 2.5 years old, and never souned out a thing....

Hmmm.... what do you all teach your homeschooled kids? And how? Do you follow textbooks? Maybe I need to start a new thread about homeschooling gifted kids and how.
=Sure! I think gifted kids would do self study pretty easily and would want to explore/experience more than seat work.

=

8 might be enough

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page