Addressing the Special Needs of Gifted Children, #7 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

#361 of 364 Old 03-17-2006, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi
Nah, that kid doesn't sound gifted to me. At least not in reading/speaking.

I so know the feeling of not knowing what's normal. Someone asked me about a birthday present for a 6 year old today, and I instantly said, "Well, they've probably read it ages ago, but how about Judy Moody? Have they read Harry Potter yet? Or well, Lord of the Rings is probably too 'boyish.'" The woman looked at me like I had grown 427 heads.

I guess even six year olds who are not reading yet (or not letting on that they are reading) aren't able to even listen to these books straight through? Judy Moody is only like 100 pages. We can read that before bedtime.

I wasn't trying to be nasty; I truly wasn't aware.

Whoa. I'm glad I live at my house.

mv
I've never heard of Judy Moody, but BeanBean and BooBah can listen to a chapter of LotR, and they're a heck of a lot younger than six... It's not like they're generally sedentary children, either, they're both quite active physically.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 364 Old 03-17-2006, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlemom
The problem I'm facing at the moment is that the SI issues and OT and helping him outgrow these are front and center in almost every conversation I have with his teacher. Nothing about giftedness. Does she just not see it? Is this really common in schooling environments?

Jenny, I think that teachers now are so uptight that often they do only see behavior issues. They don't necessarily even see if kids are learning or not- just if they are a disruption to the class. A gifted child with SI issues is going to be a classroom disruption- I have no doubt. So that is what the teacher will focus on. You should check yourself what gifted programs are available for your ds and then you can ask for them. The school system I'm in doesn't have a gifted program for children below 3rd grade, which sucks.
Good luck finding a solution.
Laura

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#363 of 364 Old 03-17-2006, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

OK- are we ready for a new thread yet? I think closing in on 400 posts is enough.
I'm starting a new thread!

#364 of 364 Old 03-17-2006, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

New thread is here!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...84#post4772784

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page