Mothering Forum banner

Am I the only one?

522 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RedWine 
#1 ·
I'm pretty uptight, I guess, about what comes into my house, for a couple of reasons. It's a small house with a lot of people and animals, and we're probably going to move in the next year, and then there are the philosophical/ethical/educational issues that are the reason I spend way too much money to buy organic/fair-trade and so on. The relatives on my husband's side don't get that at all, and they're not really involved in our lives. So...I open presents that get sent ahead of time and my kids never see anything if it doesn't meet my standards. Am I the only one? Can we unite in some sort of good-gift solidarity?

No need to post if you want to tell me what a control freak you think I am - I already know that.

See less See more
#2 ·
hmmm well let me see. no i am not like you. i stopped when i discovered where i drew the line and where my 4 year old draws teh line are different.

so we walk the middle ground. i relent some and my dd relents some.

so i do cringe and allow something because i know she would love it. i am that way with food too. she gets some junk food after she eats her healthy food. though i am struggling to make that choice for her. ideally for me she is the one who should choose and regulate.

#3 ·
I do this with my almost- 4 year old, but I think this is the last year for me. I may do this with my youngest until she reaches 4 or 5 as well.

IMO, if they are used to quality stuff when they are little, they will keep wanting to play with quality stuff when they are older. If they are used to crap when they are little, then they will want crap when they are older. So I heavily screen my kids' stuff, but I do feel like it's time for me to let up a bit with my oldest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.