Mothering Forum banner

Gifted Forum participants~more added~please read again

610 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  heartmama 
#1 ·
This is a reminder of the new forum guidelines posted at the top of the page.

Please read this before posting in the Gifted Forum.

Quote:
The Gifted board is a forum of support, respectful requests of information, and sharing of ideas and experiences. To uphold this purpose the board will not host discussions of debate or criticism. Disagreements about gifted issues should be set aside out of respect for the diversity and varying interpretations and beliefs that we hold as a community.

While we will not restrict discussions to persons of the gift being discussed we will be active in discouraging an individual from posting for the purpose of disagreement, with no interest in practicing the belief or view in discussion, or to prove a gifted concept or a belief to be wrong, misguided, or not based on fact. Proselytizing, to convert to another definition of gifted, will not be permitted. Controversial subjects of discussion related to giftedness can be found elsewhere on the internet and we invite you to seek out other sites for that purpose.

It is our wish that the Gifted Forum be a supportive and welcoming atmosphere for everyone. Please help us achieve this by doing your part and adhering to our guidelines. And as always, please make sure your posting is in accordance with the MDC User Agreement.

Grace and peace to you all
This is in addition to the User Agreement rules and guidelines.

If you have *any* questions about the new guidelines please pm myself or forum moderator Mamabug. We will be happy to help.

Thanks so much for reading to the end of this post

~Heartmama

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks so much to those of you who took me up on my offer to answer questions via PM. Because some of the questions were identical, I am going to post part of a PM here. I hope it answers some of the questions that you may have in response to the new forum Guidelines:

Quote:
Okay, the best way to begin is by encouraging you to look over at the Spirituality Forum. Both forums have been turned over to Support Only and they have identical guidelines.

The Spirituality forum has gone through it's growing pains already (it was changed awhile back) and has adjusted to the new format. It's a great example of what we want for the Gifted Forum. If you think there are strongly held differing views over Giftedness--try religion. It IS possible for people with *passionately* different beliefs to share a forum if they understand that support only threads are expected.

A large part of the need is for responsible thread beginnings. Threads need to be clearly worded as to what kind of support the OP needs. Then, the responders need to offer what the OP has asked to hear. The responses may be different viewpoints depending on how openly the OP worded their request. However, those who respond cannot argue or debate what another has said.

For example if someone says 'Should I send my gifted child to school" ideally people should respond with their experience only, and avoid putting down other viewpoints. If it turns into a debate it will be removed.

However, a MUCH better thread beginning would be "Those who have sent a Gifted Child to School, could we talk?" and then the thread is clearly meant ONLY for those who can offer that specific response.

If a person feels strongly that gifted children should not go to school, they should NOT post in that thread.

They can begin their own support thread, perhaps something like "Parents of Gifted Children who do not believe in school, let's talk".

Different viewpoints are certainly allowed. They can be discussed in detail. But only in the context of supportive exploration. It cannot be in the context of a debate, to put down another view of the issue, or to persuade someone away from their own belief.

Again, the Spirituality forum is a great example of how this has worked out. You have VERY different beliefs sharing a forum. Sometimes, they need help staying out of each others threads. But all in all it is possible to share the forum among different beliefs if everyone posts mindfully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.