Amazing things your child is doing-new thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was working on a Sudoku this morning and my 3 yo son came to sit on my lap and ask what I was doing. I gave him a quick explanation of the rules and then talked out loud as I filled in a couple numbers. Next thing I know he is directing which boxes we should fill in next and was always picked the choice I would have made. And he started telling me which numbers should go in each box. He was only wrong once!

What has your kid done to amaze you lately?

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 06:57 PM

My 21 month old saw a cookie sheet on the floor and exclaimed,"Not Safe, Thaners." Then put it away.

Both twins recognized the area of town with the airplane museum and started yelling, "Airpane! Airpane!" They were there only once, sigh.

My oldest spent his hour of playtime at IKEA teaching the adults sign language!!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:54 PM

Oh man that's so cool about Suduko!!! DS is 27 months and this week the new thing is dismantling things with a screwdriver and putting them back together. He also recited two books that we haven't read in 4 months and even then only a couple times- he's got a great memory! He's been real sick so I'm surprised he's doing anything.

I'm adding a weird one. So we don't use ice trays and DS found some hidden way back in the cupboard and got them out and said "Lets make ICE Mom-mom!" It was weird. Then he handed me the Little Mermaid DVD and asked to watch the Little Mermaid- thing is he's never seen it and I have no clue how he'd know what it's even called unless he read it. He does this "left field" stuff all the time- it's odd
Old 02-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Not sure if my daughter is gifted or not, but I want to share anyway. :

As I was reading the cover of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (just picked up at the store) to dd (23 months) I read the authors names -- Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault. She got up, ran across the room, and started digging through a large basket of books. She pulled an old one out that we hadn't read in a while and looked at it and smiled. I asked her what she was doing. She held up the book and said "Dat say John Archambault, too!" Sure enough....
Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 AM

DD is 22mo and has started to "ask" for things using illustrations. I'm not sure what gave her the idea, but she is artistically gifted (her drawings include pretty detailed facial features, fully formed bodies, and detailed clothing) and she likes to label her pictures (though her printing skills are pretty "vague") so maybe this is just an outgrowth of reading/writing? I dunno.

Anyway, in the past few days she has started to draw pictures of herself that are actually "requests" for things. For example, today she drew a picture of herself and gave it to me, pointing out that in the picture she is holding a cookie. When I seemed a bit slow in getting the message she verbalized the request ("mama, Laia holding cookie. Cookie for Laia mama please"). So far she's asked for a few different food items and even a hug using pictures and I'm a bit curious to see how far this will go!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 02-21-2007, 12:53 AM

dd, 26 months, told dh today that Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star is the same tune as the ABC song and Baa, Baa, Blacksheep.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 02-21-2007, 04:12 PM

My highly gifted 13yo ds is bravely overcoming dyslexia. I am really really proud of him and how much hard work he is doing!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, don't know if this is truly amazing but here goes.

There was a book on the floor (when isn't there in our house?) that was open to the inside cover. The inside cover had a map (kind of like the Lord of the Rings maps).

I had one of dd's dolls on my lap, and she came over. I said, "This baby is wondering where her mommy is." Dd took the baby, went over to the book, consulted the map and said "Her momma is here, on this mountain." (pointing to a mountain on the map.) Then she went off, 'followed' the map, and found another doll to be the mother. Then she came back and said, "She needs her daddy too." She consulted the map again, went off and found another doll to be dad.

I'm just amazed that at 2 1/2 she gets the concept of maps.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 02-21-2007, 06:50 PM

My 5yo just built a scale model of the Space Needle using Floam, and it actually looked like the Space Needle. We just got back from a trip to Seattle last week.

(TMI: For a moment I thought he was going to tell me it was a model of a penis. But it really does look more like the Space Needle than it does a penis!)
Old 02-21-2007, 08:20 PM

My daughter is 27 months and is really verbal. She went to an event with a friends family for the first time ever - a Doodlebops concert, because my friend had an extra ticket.

Anyway, about 10 minutes after they left I got a phone call and was worried she changed her mind about going without us. Turns out my friend was calling me to tell me what my daughter said.

They had decided to make a pitstop at McDonalds to get their daughters some food before the show (chicken nuggets).

My daughter: "We need to tell Mike & Jessica about this"
My friend (not hearing her very well): "Who? Your mean your mom and dad?"
Daughter: "Yes, Beth. You need to listen to me."

I couldn't believe she had said those things. I thought it was so funny that she would know to use our real names. She always calls us "mommy" and "daddy" to our faces (all though we did teach her our real names a few months ago - since I never call my husband by his name). At least my friend wasn't offended and thought it was funny. My daughter is really enjoying experimenting with phrases she hears and some adults get really peeved.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:27 PM

OMG. The funniest thing.

DS is in to Sudoku, too. He's 28 months.

Here's his:
Sudoku craze for toddlers

It was killing me. Amazing, I don't know, but hilarious for sure.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

Ds (the one who didn't talk until he was four and half or give any indication he even understood a word of English) has a new favorite book- a children's thesaurus. One of his speech teachers gave it to him. I feel horrible because it never crossed my mind to give him a thesaurus. His class is covering African American month and learning about the civl rights movement. He informed me that someday he wants to be like MLK and give speeches to "encourage people to live in peace". I can see his desire to read through a thesaurus if that's what he dreams of doing. It took all I had not to insult him by laughing. I was afraid he would think I was making fun of him when really I would be laughing at how wonderful he is. He recently turned eight and I can't believe how far he has come. I don't know if I believe in crystal children but if I did...
Old 02-23-2007, 04:41 PM

my 5 year old loves Sudoku too!
She brought me a half completed puzzle last summer and I was floored. I had recieved the book of puzzles in a gift basket after my surgeries, and I just stuck it on the shelf. She apparently pulled it off the shelf and figured it out. I asked her how she knew what to put where and she said that she saw my sister do one when we were in NYC. I looked it over and it was all correct.

My 2 yo is into rhyming this week. This morning I asked him if he wanted to wear his striped shirt or his sweater this morning. His reply?
"sweater rhymes with cheddar, mommy!"
(he's wearing the striped shirt )
Old 02-23-2007, 07:52 PM

This is fun - a "no weird looks from others" bragging opportunity.

So here's mine...

my daughter, not quite three, is making up songs, sometimes a capella, and sometimes at the piano. They have tunes, words, and a structure to them. She also repeats songs in the same key as the recordings she's heard. She is starting to identify different instruments when she hears them, and makes specific requests (I recently had to dig through my CD collection for anything with a banjo in it.) The funny thing is that she doesn't quite get that I don't already know a song that she's just made up in her head - she wants me to sing along...
Old 02-23-2007, 08:33 PM

My 8 yo was working on set theory and answered questions like {n:n+10>15} today. He got stumped at first, because he was accustomed to {n:n>8}, for instance, but once I explained that you isolate n, he got it and ran with it through the rest of his program.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:25 PM

DD 28 months has been naming items throughout the house and telling me who they belong to - "that's brother's bed", "that's daddy's shirt", "that's mommy's teapot"... She also has taken to telling me "thank you" when I give her a hug or a kiss - and really seems to mean it! Doesn't that warm a mother's soul?

DS 7 months can read Hebrew (ok, made that up, but he does enjoy looking at the prayer book while we read the prayer in synagogue)
Old 02-24-2007, 05:53 PM

in the car yesterday, k started out with: "can you see my skeleton if you look down my throat?" i explained skin and bones to her and we felt our faces and arms for bones.
she was quiet for a moment, then said, "did you know some things don't have heartbeats?" i said, "like what?" her reply: "like clocks and flowers and tables." i said, "do you know why?" and she said, "because they can't talk." i explained her that there are things with heartbeats that don't talk (cats, dogs, etc) and told her things with heartbeats are animals, like us and our cats. she called it our "animal guessing game."
she's so cool.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
"sweater rhymes with cheddar, mommy!"
This reminded me of one of my favorite observations of DD's (said LOUDLY at a music festival when she was two):

"FESTIVAL rhymes with TESTICLE!"

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 02-25-2007, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

I just have to add that I am having so much fun reading about what everyone's kids are doing. They are amazing!

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
Old 02-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post
This reminded me of one of my favorite observations of DD's (said LOUDLY at a music festival when she was two):

"FESTIVAL rhymes with TESTICLE!"

:
Old 02-26-2007, 06:11 PM

We were over at a friends house. I said something to my friend. My 3 year old DS said" don't be so neurotic mom"

I was in the kitchen cooking and said something to DH. DS said "that is the most asinine thing I have ever heard"

Yesterday he was giving me a lesson on the planets. He is like a mini scientists expert on the subject.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 AM

My 3 year old (not yet 3 1/2 ) has memorized most of "Zin zin zin, a Violin!". Granted, he's heard it a zillion times. Still, we were impressed. His favorite page is the bassoon page. He sounds so indignant and animated when he recites, "That lazy clown, the big bassoon! He plays low down, we're laughing soon. HEY GRUMPY!! Get your place in line!!" It sounds kind of surreal to hear his sweet little voice reciting, "The stwings all soar, the weeds impwore, the brasses WOAR!..." or "thwoo its thwobbing double-weeding, oboe, please don't hesitate!" He loves that book.

We've been surprised to see him expressing crippling perfectionism recently. He's our non-quirky, happy-go-lucky kid, YK? He was playing with ds1's molecule set last night and he told dh, "I made a hexagon!!" And it actually did have six sides. He refused to let his older brother see it. He showed it to me but then immediately insisted on breaking it up once I saw it. He doesn't like anyone to see what he creates and he makes disparaging comments about stuff he makes or he says, "It's not done yet!!". :

I can't think of too much my 5 year old has done recently. We've been reading about the periodic chart and about the different types of rocks. When I read about metamorphic rocks, he said, "That sounds like metamorphosis." He understands what I'm reading to him the first time I read it and he can talk intelligently about it. I enjoy reading to him. He's interested in some fun things.

Actually, I just thought of something. He made a 7 foot tall Lego tower, with dh helping to reach the high part for him. I was amazed that it was so stable. My son designed the base of the tower to consist of four pillars (about 8 inches tall) with a flat Lego base on top of them to build the rest of the tower from. He said he was looking at his Domino structures and that's when he realized that he could mimic the same structure with Legos to keep the base stable. He declared that it was like the Eiffel Tower. It was so cool!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 AM

Today DD, 2.5 yo, was singing DH and I a song. I couldn't quite understand all of her words and she was using hand motions also (probably something she learned at school). But after she was done she took a bow and said "thank you". OMG, DH and I were hysterical. Where do they get this stuff????
Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 PM

It's hard sometimes because with 2 very different gifted children, I don't always know what's "normal". Tonight we'd gotten a new video for them, and DD (2 1/2) turned around and summarized the entire plot for me, showing sympathy for a character who was having some difficulty with something. I thought that was pretty impressive!

K.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:32 PM

my 18 month old DD potty trained herself about a month and a half or 2 months ago (pee pee, poop, and dry overnight 6 nights out of 7, but we still use nighttime diapers). last night she woke up very upset because she peed in her diaper, and i felt awful. :-(
she impressed me and DH by translating very well lately. DH asked pointed to a picture of a car in a book and said, "what's this?" and she said, "car." then he said, "auf deutsch?" and she said "auto!" she identified my parents (grandma and grandpa) as oma and opa to DH (which are german for grandma and grandpa).
Old 03-05-2007, 10:46 PM

My 18 month old saw a picture in a book of a little girl who looks amazingly like one of our friend's daughter... he recognized her as Dea, pointed to the picture and said , "Dea, out!"... He wanted her to come out of the picture...

My 7 year old taught himself how to multiply two digit numbers together based on the standard addition algorithm, he also "discovered" the distributive property. Also he commented how hard it must have been for the Romams to do arithmetic with their number representation, and explained to his sister why 0 and 1 are the most important numbers in mathematics... He was also thinking about factorials last night; out of the blue he asked if there was a name for the product of the first n positive whole numbers. And he recreated Gauss' trick of adding the first 100 numbers last week...

My just turned 5 year old asked us why there is not a "last" number...
Old 03-05-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessismama View Post
My 18 month old saw a picture in a book of a little girl who looks amazingly like one of our friend's daughter... he recognized her as Dea, pointed to the picture and said , "Dea, out!"... He wanted her to come out of the picture...
awwwww

that reminds me of when my dd was that age. At about 18 months she had an imaginary friend named "Em"
Em was the little girl who lived in the oven
(because she could see her reflection in the oven door)

We had a panel of windows all across the back of our house, and one night she saw that "Em" was "outside."
She was absolutely beside herself. She was sooooo upset that "Em" was outside at night in the cold

*sigh*
they grow up so quickly
Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our dd (33 months) saw a picture of a boy on a cup at a fast food restaurant, and said "that boy reminds me of T" (T being her brother).

I was floored. Not only was it true, but that's a pretty sophisticated concept for 2 3/4.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 03-07-2007, 03:45 AM

Isn't it amazing to witness their brains at work? I'm so stunned most of the time. DDs going to turn 4 in June.

The other day, we were all riding in the car and a very large pickup truck passed us - with an enormous lift. Those things seem so ridiculous to me, so I mumbled to my partner and to myself, "How do you spell tip?!" Out of the carseat in back comes...."T-I-P. Tip." DD's a reading hound and continually amazes me in that regard. It's as if she's compelled to read almost everything - chats to dad and even posts here at mothering. She loves to get meaning from words. But for her to spell something out of the clear blue -that just freaked me out. She also has domino numbers memorized. She doesn't count the dots, but states the number.

Yesterday, I was out back working on the compost pile and she was running around the backard, singing to herself. At one point I looked up and couldn't see her - the yard is gated/fenced, but it still freaked me out. So I called out her name. Her reply was, "It's okay mom. I'm over here on the south side of the house." Sure enough. It was south.

One more that's actually kind of embarassing... we were painting a small corner of the living room. She wanted to partake, so I was getting her dressed into some old clothes. "Okay, let's find some old pants for you to wear. Oh, and lets change into these old panties." "But mom. I'm going to be wearing pants over the panties. It doesn't matter if the panties are old!" She does this kind of thing with me .... a lot.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
Our dd (33 months) saw a picture of a boy on a cup at a fast food restaurant, and said "that boy reminds me of T" (T being her brother).

I was floored. Not only was it true, but that's a pretty sophisticated concept for 2 3/4.
It never occurred to me that this was a sophisticated concept (not being snarky-- my 2 yo does this too!). Do you know when the "normal" age for making this kind of connection is?

User Tag List