left and right - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2.5 yr old knows her left and right. what is the usual age for this?
#2 of 24 Old 04-04-2007, 03:57 PM

I'm not so sure about the averages but have been curious about this too. My daughter (now 23 months) has been giving us "left", "right" "straight ahead" and "turn around" directions since she was 18 months.
#3 of 24 Old 04-04-2007, 06:34 PM

My newly 3 year old daughter has known l and r for a little while now...her 6 year old brother probably learned right around the time she did! Dd has much more of a spatial understanding than her bro, anyway, so it makes sense to me.
#4 of 24 Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 PM

Let's see my kid tests as PG and I remember when he was seven realizing he didn't know it! My friend's kids all knew at two and she thought that was typical. I'm sure there is a huge range of normal and whether or not the concept has been introduced has something to do with it too. I'm 42 and sometimes I still have to think it through.
#5 of 24 Old 04-04-2007, 09:24 PM

DD know it for a while around 2.5 (consistently and repeatedly) then was mixing it up again around 2.75, and now sometimes knows it at just past 3. So I have no idea what the norms are.

nothing more to say I guess :
#6 of 24 Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 PM

DD has known this since about 2.5 (we just mentioned it one day and that was all it took), but I think this is more like a kindergarten skill. I know her daycare teachers thought it was very surprising and commented on it.

I was very amazed by it, because I'm spatially impossible and still didn't know L from R when I was 10!

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#7 of 24 Old 04-04-2007, 10:51 PM

Don't know, so I'll just throw our stats into the mix you're collecting! DD is 28 months and has reliably differentiated right and left since around 23 months.
#8 of 24 Old 04-04-2007, 11:23 PM

That seems pretty typical age to me...

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#9 of 24 Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiancookies View Post
My 2.5 yr old knows her left and right. what is the usual age for this?
Well...my daughter knew it at about 2 1/2, too, but apparently around age 5 is typical for "normal" children:

http://www.childcarechoicesofboston....milestones.htm

http://www.spdsupport.org.uk/develop.html

http://www.ldonline.org/article/6313
#10 of 24 Old 04-05-2007, 12:02 PM

I think 2.5 is early.

My dd will be 4 in June. She gets left/right correctly about half of the time.
#11 of 24 Old 04-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Breastfeeding can be hothousing for this skill
#12 of 24 Old 04-05-2007, 01:59 PM

HAHAHA! I can see that breastfeeding "lesson."

My son had it down by 2, but before then. We played Twister at age 2 & he got it. Then all of a sudden at around 5 he started seeing that his left could be my right, and coming out of the developmental self-centered phase (isn't that around 5? anyway) and now he can't remember which is which. Weird.

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#13 of 24 Old 04-05-2007, 04:26 PM

Our eldest knew it at 11 months reliably. With him, we always told him left hand, right hand, foot, leg etc... It was part of our dressing and diapering routines, so I think it's just a matter of exposure. We never do this with our third, and not surprisingly, I don't think he even knows this exists. I don't know why we don't. It's very helpful for giving instructions and helping our son to practise other skills. I'm starting the youngest on it today!

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#14 of 24 Old 04-05-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
Let's see my kid tests as PG and I remember when he was seven realizing he didn't know it! My friend's kids all knew at two and she thought that was typical. I'm sure there is a huge range of normal and whether or not the concept has been introduced has something to do with it too. I'm 42 and sometimes I still have to think it through.
I'm glad that my kiddo isn't the only one. My older dd, 8, is pretty good about it now, but she didn't know left and right for the longest time and I suspect that she does still have to think about it. She also still puts her shoes on the wrong feet at times. She did know how to tie them at 4, just not get them on the right foot .
#15 of 24 Old 04-06-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
I'm glad that my kiddo isn't the only one. My older dd, 8, is pretty good about it now, but she didn't know left and right for the longest time and I suspect that she does still have to think about it. She also still puts her shoes on the wrong feet at times. She did know how to tie them at 4, just not get them on the right foot .
Any child who is reading KNOWS left from right, even if they themselves don't realize it. And if a child really DOESN'T know the difference, this could explain difficulty with reading...
#16 of 24 Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRaven View Post
Any child who is reading KNOWS left from right, even if they themselves don't realize it. And if a child really DOESN'T know the difference, this could explain difficulty with reading...
She was reading at 4 and reading very well (Harry Potter, newspaper, etc.) at 6, so maybe it was more a matter of not associating the words with the directions than not knowing them.

She does still have the shoe problem, though .
#17 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 PM

Both my girls learned R and L at 18 months.
#18 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 11:04 PM

DD knew it perfectly at 2.5, but a while later she started mixing it up, now she know it fairly well, but not always perfect like when she was younger, I think when they start to think about my left and your left some of them get confused again. At least I think that's what happened with DD.

#19 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 02:18 AM

Now that I'm married, it's a lot easier .

My husband taught my kids at about 18 months-2 years. He wrote a R and an L in their shoes so they could learn to put them on the right feet. With our first, I chastized him for doing something that was way too advanced for him (because, hey, I STILL don't get it right most of the time!), but he proved me wrong my learning within the week (and also learing the letters R and L!). They are still very good at it, but he never wrote the R and L in the new shoes, so my youngest still puts his shoes on the wrong feet.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#20 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
It was part of our dressing and diapering routines, so I think it's just a matter of exposure. We never do this with our third, and not surprisingly, I don't think he even knows this exists.
I realized that one day for colors with our dd. No idea why we hadn't talked about them, but she got to 2, I realized she didn't have a clue.

Our dd is 36 months and is pretty good with left and right. Ds was about 4 but then we didn't really talk much about them with him - he started using them before he distinguish 'l' and 'r'. I remember one memorable conversation with him where he was asking what something was and we couldn't figure out if he meant 'light' or 'right'. (Because ds uses these terms, dd has learned them earlier.)

Then again, I'm 41 years, and get them wrong a lot. I'm in physical therapy for knee pain and I'm driving the physical therapist NUTS! Yesterday I resorted to holding up my hands so I could see which one made the "L".

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#21 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 09:22 AM

We're with many here whose kids learned it at 2.5. It can be confusing for us because sometimes we question things they know (typically when other people point it out to us that it is odd) but when we sit down and think about it we can always trace things back to how they learned it. With left and right it was a combination of factors: Like another OP we do the left and right when dressing, "You're putting your left shoe on your left foot" etc.. Both my kids were avid nursers (DD1 self weaned at 4, DD2 at almost 3). Our house is at the bottom of a street which runs in a circle, we take a small side street to a yield sign (they both recognized signs at a young age for this reason too), we stop there and I ask the girls which way they want to go to get to our house, "Left or right". It makes sense to us that they would get an understanding of this concept simply becuase it has been introduced.

We do not know if our kids are gifted. Both of our girls have blown us away repeatedly with things they know but like I said, we can rationalise out where they've been exposed to things. DD1, started writing her name and recognizing letters as a late 2, by her 3rd birthday she was writing simple notes to people. DD2 doesn't have the letter recognition her sis had at this age, but due to her big sis (who is passionate about astronomy) recognizes different planets.

I think that early understanding of concepts (left and right), early reading, writing, math skills etc. can be signs of giftedness. But I don't think it's exclusive. I think one could have a gifted child who didn't necessarily do things 'early' due to a multitude of factors, but I digress.

Our DD1 is definitly bright. But, her K teacher pointed out to us after doing begininng and end of the year evals that she didn't know her street address when prompted (she knew her city and state). It was pointed out that this is the only thing on a 3+ page eval that she did not 'display confidence' in. DP and I chuckled, so did the teacher, because we all knew she had the capacity to know it, it was just not something DP and I had ever thought to teach her. She knew our home phone and cell numbers by 4, though we didn't teach those to her. She picked them up probably from us having to rattle them off at a multitude of Dr's appt's, and yeah, most likely from the ordering of pizza over the phone. We don't rattle off our home address with any frequency at all.

All that to say, we have learned there is a difference between actual proven knowledge and ability. It's much more difficult to guage though. And no, we still haven't 'taught' DD our home address.
#22 of 24 Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
DD know it for a while around 2.5 (consistently and repeatedly) then was mixing it up again around 2.75, and now sometimes knows it at just past 3. So I have no idea what the norms are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
DD knew it perfectly at 2.5, but a while later she started mixing it up, now she know it fairly well, but not always perfect like when she was younger, I think when they start to think about my left and your left some of them get confused again. At least I think that's what happened with DD.

just realised I answered this thread before. Good to know I was consistent at least

#23 of 24 Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM

I still have to check which hand my wedding ring is on!!

My boys can all give me directions to most anywhere we go (ds1 6 and twins 2), and now I am getting, "Stop!!! Red light. GO Faster MOm, wheeeeee!" from the twins. I will never get to roll through a stop sign again .

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#24 of 24 Old 06-03-2007, 03:44 AM

Both my kids knew left and right soon after their 2nd birthdays, but like the others, it's just part of the routine, so they were exposed to it.

When DS was 2 1/2, we were at MIL's, and she was doing something with his hands (clipping nails maybe? I don't know) and he named each hand as he gave it to her. She was so impressed, but I knew that it was just because we talk about his right shoe and his left shoe, or his right hand and left hand when washing them, etc.

It's just all about exposure, IMO.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page