First chapter books to read aloud? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-02-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our daughter is now interested in being read to out of chapter books. We have been reading Winnie the Pooh stories out loud. Any other suggestions? We tried Wind in the Willows, but there are a lot of references to things completely outside of modern-day reality (like whitewashing walls for spring cleaning!)

She listens to Frog and Toad, Dr. Seuss, Little Bear, etc. on CD, but I'm looking for something similiar in language level to the Pooh stories.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 05-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Some favorite first chapter books here were:

The My Father's Dragon Trilogy
Stuart Little
Charlottes Web
A Cricket in Times Square
The Lighthouse Family series by Cynthia Rylant
Paddington Bear
Beatrix Potter stories

There are other fun ones like The Boxcar Children, Nate the Great and The Magic Treehouse, but those are also great for first chapter books for her to read on her own so you may want to save those for later .

Here's a link to a nice literature list:

http://www.classical-homeschooling.o...0-primary.html
#3 of 21 Old 05-02-2007, 03:40 PM

During the last year, we read Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Our children loved it. I tried Charlotte's web, but they didn't like it well enough to continue. I am about 1/3 way through The Wizard of Oz and will be starting Swiss Family Robinson today (for the second time- they really liked it but we moved and it was set aside for a long while). I imagine these probably don't suit your objective to read stories with modern-day activities, though, but ours really love them even if we have to look some things up to understand what is being expressed. Alice in Wonderland is so bizarre that I doubt the era of it's writing is of much concern.

I am not at all familiar with the Winnie the Pooh books; what level would you ascribe to the language used in them?

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#4 of 21 Old 05-02-2007, 03:57 PM

Lurking for great ideas...

-Angela
#5 of 21 Old 05-02-2007, 04:05 PM

Personally, I find "outside of modern-day reality" to be a plus! It's one of the things I love about Beatrix Potter.

For a more contemporary book, my daughter absolutely loved The Doll People, which she picked out herself at the library. The sequel, The Meanest Doll in the World, might be a little scary for very young kids, though.

Also, Catwings, Ramona the Pest, Toys Go Out, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Raggedy Ann and Andy books, the Pippi Longstocking series, Moomintrolls. My daughter is really enjoying "Time Cat" right now, but she's a little older, almost six.
#6 of 21 Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Several of our favorite's have already been mentioned: Mr. Popper's Penguins, Cricket in Time's Square, Catwings, My Father's Dragon, Stuart Little. I will also suggest the Olga De Polga books by Michael Bond author of the Paddington books. A not so common but very sweet book along the lines of Pooh is: the Teddy Robinson Storybook. http://www.amazon.com/Teddy-Robinson.../dp/1856974944

Also, try the Milly-Molly-Mandy book.
#7 of 21 Old 05-02-2007, 05:28 PM

I second Alice in Wonderland =D Add in The Phantom Tollbooth, Neverending Story, and James and the Giant Peach, those were some of my kids' favorite read-alouds.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#8 of 21 Old 05-02-2007, 05:32 PM

not as complex language as you might be looking for, and technically not chapter books either, but have you checked out the original raggedy ann and andy books??
#9 of 21 Old 05-02-2007, 07:16 PM

Stuart Little is what we're reading now.

DD loves the Mercy Watson books ~ they are chapter books, but also have some pictures and are really, really funny!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#10 of 21 Old 05-03-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great suggestions! I remember a lot of these books from my childhood, but had forgotten. Just to clarify: I'm ok with historical books or fantasy books, it's just that Wind in the Willows was so completely arcane that it completely interrupted the flow of the words to have to explain six times per page what they were talking about! She's only 3 after all - but she seems to love hearing interesting language.

In response to a PP: The pre-Disney original versions of Winnie the Pooh stories, by AA Milne, are just beautifully written, sweet stories from, I believe, the 1920's. They are easily available at libraries, bookstores, etc. - we have some on tape with Charles Karault reading that are quite nice.
#11 of 21 Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM

My dad started with the Wind in the willows, and then moved on to Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle...which I LOVED, and after we did the Charlottes Web and stuff like that, we got read the Chronicles of Narnia.,..at about age 5 or 6 I think he started it, a chapter each night until we finished the whole thing.

From there we were reading to ourselves: L'engle books were my favorite as a kid. I also loved Heidi, and The Secret Garden, and Anne of Green Gables...but I guess that's MUCH further down the road for you.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#12 of 21 Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 AM

DD1 & I are reading the Saddle Club books. We're a TAD horse obsessed 'round here!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#13 of 21 Old 05-08-2007, 01:51 AM

When ds1 was three we read The Little House in the Big Woods. He really liked learning about what life was like. The Little House on the Prairie gets into discussions of the evil Indians that I wasn't ready to explain, but the Big Woods is mostly just about their family life.
#14 of 21 Old 05-16-2007, 05:33 PM

My twins LOVED the "My Father's Dragon" trilogy. And Stuart Little, and more recently, Trumpeter of the Swan.

If your daughter is very sensitive, just be cautious . . . there is no way my son could handle the emotional content of Charlotte's Web, for example. Even the father swan getting hurt in Trumpeter of the Swan made him totally break down sobbing (even though he's not badly hurt).

Mine also have always loved the Beatrix Potter stories. Though I sometimes find the language old fashioned and odd, they love listening to them.
#15 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 12:05 AM

DS Loves Little House on The Prairie books. He Also loved Charlotte's Web!

We have been wanting to try Alice In Wonderland, and now I have even more great ideas after reading this thread!
#16 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 12:15 AM

Milly Molly Mandy books are fun, as is The Children of Noisy Village series, and The Bobbsey Twins. These are books I've liked.

My kids all liked My Father's Dragon etc., but I found them deathly boring (I've read the series aloud 4 times now and I weep in silence each time). Mr Poppers Penguins is a title that comes up freqently for this age as well, but that book made me want to cry the tears of aweful. I mention them because despite my horror, children often enjoy them. In the same way my children at age 4 or 5 tell the same knock knock jokes a million times over and still laugh. It's a painful if short -lived stage.

Seriosly, I do not mind indulging them at all. The sweet and innocent period is short in the life of a small child.
#17 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 PM

My dd is newly 4, and in the last year we have read Charlotte's Web, Mercy Watson, and the chapter book series by Tomie DePaola - Here We All Are. In addition, we have read almost all the Magic Treehouse Series. She LOVES those. Right now, we are reading Mary Poppins, The Boxcar Children, and Junie B. Jones (this last one I don't particularly care for).
#18 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 10:41 PM

We're reading Stuart Little right now. DD really likes it. We've also read Little House in the Big Woods, Sarah Plain and Tall, the first 2 Box Car Children books. DD wasn't all that into the Boxcar Children so we stopped and I wasn't enjoying the Little House books so we stopped those too.

We'll be starting Charlotte's Web next and have My Father's Dragon waiting too. Oh, and The Incredible Journey and Call of the Wild. DD is really into animals.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#19 of 21 Old 06-02-2007, 08:50 PM

I'd been wondering about the Mary Poppins books. I think we'll start them next.

We've been reading Alice in Wonderland as well. DD loves it-she thinks it's so silly. We've been reading the one illustrated by Helen Oxenbury. She is DD's favorite illustrator. She also illustrated Through the Looking Glass, but I haven't read that one in quite a while.

We also have enjoyed the Winnie the Pooh books and the books of poetry. We try to read one of the poems each night. So much fun. Thanks for starting this thread! I've enjoyed getting more suggestions of chapter books to read with dd.
#20 of 21 Old 06-02-2007, 08:57 PM

Gosh, the Mary Poppins books were my favs as a child. They are the main reason I love my mommy. I have been afraid to re-read them as an adult. I don't want anything bad to mar my memories of snuggling with my mother. I've read that there are quite a number of very bad ideas about race contained in these books. But my fondest memories of my mother is that she read them all to me and I loved it.

Did you know the Banks had twins?
#21 of 21 Old 06-02-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcox View Post
I'd been wondering about the Mary Poppins books. I think we'll start them next.

We've been reading Alice in Wonderland as well. DD loves it-she thinks it's so silly. We've been reading the one illustrated by Helen Oxenbury. She is DD's favorite illustrator. She also illustrated Through the Looking Glass, but I haven't read that one in quite a while.

We also have enjoyed the Winnie the Pooh books and the books of poetry. We try to read one of the poems each night. So much fun. Thanks for starting this thread! I've enjoyed getting more suggestions of chapter books to read with dd.
Wow, you sure are making me think of my childhood! My mother also read all of the Pooh books and the poetry. I still remember "Now that I am six, I am clever as clever, I think I'll be six now forever and ever".

Wow.

Flashback city! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page