So glad to have found you! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2008, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to say I am so glad to have found this forum. It is nice to see an active gifted forum on a parenting site. Other sites I belong too or have in the past belonged to have spaces, but no threads or posts.

I have one daughter in 2nd grade. She is gifted, dyslexic, and has ADHD. She's just a little on the extreme of the spectrum in so many areas .

We are in the process of evaluating different options for her education including enrichment/supplementation while we continue sending her to her current private school, public school, and homeschooling.

She has been tested for acceptance into the Seattle public schools advanced learning program and we are awaiting the results. Seattle's evaluation process includes teacher evaluations, CoGAT, and achievement scores (WASC or Iowa Basic). She took the CoGAT and met that "threshold" and so took the Iowa Basic. We are still awaiting the results of that assessment.

Even if she does not meet the criteria for the public school gifted program, we are still considering sending her to public school due to the wide array of services they provide and just all the resources they have. On the other hand, we love her school. It is our parish and her school and the benefits of the amazing community she belongs to are not something you can quantify on a test. But she is one of those kids who will keep in step with other kids in her grade. For example, she can read a book but because the 7th/8th graders are reading that book in her school, she puts it aside. Drives me crazy! The teacher has also noted that she changes her language and behaviour depending upon who she is with. She has pretty much made it clear to me that she does not want to be different in any way. So, being in an environment where her skill level is the norm could be a much better place for her. She does continue to have behavioural issues, but they have gotten so much better over time and with treatment of ADHD. She gets bored and shuts down.

We are definitely going to continue sending her to either public or her current school for this next school year but will evaluate if homeschooling is the best choice over the year as well.

I'd love to read about your journeys and any advice on schooling, etc. so will continue to peruse the forum.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM

Greetings! We are also in the Seattle area. Have you talked to Pave? They can really help you deal with the schools and to know what your rights are. www.pave.org I think.

There is also a private school that specializes in dyslexia somewhere nearby. A friend in Shoreline is sending their daughter. You may want to check that out.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
The teacher has also noted that she changes her language and behaviour depending upon who she is with.
Smart kid! Being able to do that is a great "survival skill" and, if you look at it in that light, it is a considerable talent. However, it may not be the best situation for her if she isn't being intellectually challenged. Boredom will just teach her to be lazy.

We're homeschooling. I'm not even going to start discussing it because I'm so excited and positive about it that it's just revolting.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:53 PM

Hi and welcome!

My oldest son was attending our parish school, which has a lot of positives, but was not meeting his needs intellectually. So we're homeschooling and it is great!

We still see a lot of friends at mass, but it is nice to let him have his mind. I do know what you mean about how certain parish schools can be very special places, though.

And I'll just joint VanessaS in the revolting corner ...

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Old 01-31-2008, 04:13 AM

I am dyslexic and gifted myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySunSea View Post
The teacher has also noted that she changes her language and behaviour depending upon who she is with. She has pretty much made it clear to me that she does not want to be different in any way.
this may not be something she does deliberately she may just be a natural mimic. I am and my father and many of his relatives. I would say it is an incredibly useful skill, and should not be discouraged.

Most people do it to a certain degree, and a total inabilty to is a major social handicap. It is why when one person in a group is whispering everyone else does too. Most people just don't do it well enough to for instance pick up a touch of an accent while talking on the phone (both my father and I do.)

I bet people tend to feel at ease around your DD and find her easy to understand. This is a good thing.

In my own school experience I was not challenged enough (even with gifted enrichment) and it frankkly lead m to be pretty lazy at school. To the point that when things finally got hard I had to study skills to use.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 01-31-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
In my own school experience I was not challenged enough (even with gifted enrichment) and it frankkly lead m to be pretty lazy at school. To the point that when things finally got hard I had to study skills to use.
Same here. I coasted through school and dropped out of college (even though I was still getting straight A's). I just couldn't deal with the fact that I had to study for things. It was a total shock when they stopped spoon-feeding us the material.

I'm trying to teach myself Spanish now and it is SOOO HARD just to sit down and do one lesson a day. I never had to study for anything in my entire life and it's excruciating. But I've decided to put myself through this to set a good example for my kids.

My DH wasn't actually so keen on the homeschooling until he saw how smart our eldest is and how fast he's learning. Last week he said, "Thank goodness we're homeschooling. Otherwise it would be a nightmare to put him in school."
Old 01-31-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses. And as for "revolting" homeschooling enthusiam, bring it on! Good point about allowing her to have her mind while still being involved with the parish. She can still do brownies and Mass and all that. I really want to homeschool but I know that presents it's own challenge.

Good point about the benefits of her changing her language. I think it is probably a little of both...deliberate and just natural. I am also very much a natural mimic - I pick up on accents very easily as well. Although I don't really change my vocabulary all that much. She certainly doesn't use words like words emanante and hypothesis with her friends.

On another note, do you find that you either underestimate or overestimate your child's abilities? DD is an only child and I have few comparisons so I have always thought of her as smart, yes. But lately I have been having more kids over and am seeing differences, which would be considered "anachronistic development" from what I have seen on sites like hoagies. That's one reason why I am so thrilled to have test results and professionals to help make evaluations. Because I just don't know! And gosh, I just really, really want to support her to be the person she can and wants to be and knowing her learning style, capabilities, and challenges really helps me do that.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
do you find that you either underestimate or overestimate your child's abilities?
Underestimate big time. My DS doesn't talk very well so I have to keep reminding myself that he THINKS on a much higher level than he SPEAKS. For example, he's been dying to do the activity sheets on the Starfall preschool site. But I figured that that would be too difficult for him. Then I got tired of his whining yesterday, printed out the ones for the letter "A" and -- lo and behold -- he did them very nicely!
And now that he's starting to speak more fluently he's cracking jokes and making ironic statements. I'm kind of slow on the uptake so I think he's getting discouraged.

Quote:
seeing differences, which would be considered "anachronistic development"
Oh, yeah. That's a big topic here. Both of my kids are physically and mentally advanced but they have absolutely no impulse control. And their temper-tantrums are colossal. It's U-G-L-Y.

User Tag List