Old souls - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2008, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cambria is definitely an 'old soul' and has been since birth! She spoke very early, first words at 8 months, full sentences by one. She's excelling in preschool now. Are your gifted children 'old souls' as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM

DD#2 felt like an old soul. DD#1 nope. DS, nope.

DD#2, is 3 and self taught reading (basic level) , and will write simple stories to go with her pictures.
Tammy
Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 PM

My daughter is. My son is absolutely not. He's like the newest soul around! Both are gifted.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 AM

I'm curious what criteria people would use to decide if a child was an "old soul" or not. I've heard this term a ton, and never really seen a good explanation.

Thanks!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy926 View Post
I'm curious what criteria people would use to decide if a child was an "old soul" or not. I've heard this term a ton, and never really seen a good explanation.

Thanks!
Deep in post-partum haze when my daughter was six days old, I placed her in her bassinett so that I could take a shower. At the time, I was living in my parents' home. My mom and I stood for a moment, watching her little body, and I remarked, "It just seems like this girl can take care of herself." "That's ridiculous!" my mom exclaimed. "She's a newborn." I replied, "I know, but..." Clearly, I didn't really expect her to take care of herself. There was just something about her. She came into our world so calm and at peace, satisfied, just "knowing." It was instantly apparent she'd been here before...and I don't even really believe in that stuff.

And every step of the way, she's maintained this very special quality. At not yet four years old, she patiently and diplomatically solves problems between her preschool friends. She can walk away from a classmate who's being mean, simply turn her back with a "no time for that" attitude that stops the other child in her tracks. When her brother is wild with anxiety, she makes insightful remarks to help me cope. She understands social situations so well, she can seemingly predict the outcome of her actions and those of others given certain choices and decisions they make. She seems to be guided by such a solid sense of self and confidence. It's really amazing. I don't even factor in her intellectual gifts to any of this. To me it's separate. Not sure why.

I'm sure that didn't help because the whole thing is pretty nebulous-feeling to me, but it does clarify for myself why I consider her to be an old soul.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 AM

There was just something about her. She came into our world so calm and at peace, satisfied, just "knowing."

LOL!!

Ok, so I think much of this really is just gut feel. It's not like there is a formal definition out there of old soul.

The reason why the above makes me chuckle is b/c mine (who I consider an old soul) was the very opposite. NOT calm, colicky, high needs, food issues, etc.

Much of here temperment, though.... it seemed that I had this far older person trapped in this liitle body, and she'd just be soooooooo frustrated by that. She had stuff she needed to do, and couldn't yet. At 18m, she wanted to make breakfast ob ger own. At 3, she insists on writing my grocery list and wants to make dinner. She knows exactly what her cake needs to looks like. With her, there just seems to be something more than just gifted.

Very different than my others who I both believe are gifted too.

Tammy
Old 02-13-2008, 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=quaz;10531486
The reason why the above makes me chuckle is b/c mine (who I consider an old soul) was the very opposite. NOT calm, colicky, high needs, food issues, etc.

Much of here temperment, though.... it seemed that I had this far older person trapped in this liitle body, and she'd just be soooooooo frustrated by that. She had stuff she needed to do, and couldn't yet. At 18m, she wanted to make breakfast ob ger own. At 3, she insists on writing my grocery list and wants to make dinner. She knows exactly what her cake needs to looks like. With her, there just seems to be something more than just gifted.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the opposite of my old soul!! But my son was a little one like yours. He was clearly frustrated by being a child. When he started school at three, he said he didn't want to go to school...he wanted to go to WORK and do something important like grown ups. And even before that, he would cry that he wanted to be bigger than me! This child became anxious, worried, perfectionistic, compulsive, insecure (yet strangely egotistical) as he grew up. (He's seven now.) And so to me, that's not old soul-ish at all. He has no faith that things are going to work out, he's always imagining the worst. He takes comfort in nothing, least of all his own thoughts. Yet he almost literally knows everything about everything. Facts, information, procedures...his mind is completely full of that stuff. My daughter is every bit as bright, but she takes it easy, seemingly assured that there's a plan out there and it's all gonna work out all right.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think it's important to remember that each soul is an individual, regardless of experience. And just because someone has been around the block a few times before doesn't necessarily mean they are "totally together" or have guru-like wisdom. I have "old-soul" friends who can't keep a job (past issues, different priorities in life, etc.).

I think the best way to tell if someone is an old soul is (totally subjective) they just "get it", whatever "it" is. It's like the difference between teaching someone a foreign language the first time, and reminding someone who had forgotten the language.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM

I have two old souls. Everyone comments on it. They just never seemed to be babies and always have that knowing look in their eyes and also seem to "get" solving problems for us, as a PP mentioned. My older dd is also like the dc of a PP - she just wouldn't engage in those playground conflicts with bullies. They're just so befuddled by her. The little one will make Daddy laugh when he's being über-cranky.

Lots of people meet my older dd and say "She's an indigo."
Lots of people meet my younger dd and say "Oh, my, what a crystal child!" She just sparkles and melts away everyone's hostilities.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM

So an old soul is either someone who acts older than his/her chronological age, or wants to do things beyond the capabilities of his/her chronological age? That'd include almost every kid, I'd think.

I know I sound skeptical. I am open to the idea of past lives and the like. I just don't understand what "old souls" would really look like. So far I've gotten two completely different explanations. Based on those, both of my kids could be considered "old souls." One for her penetrating comments on the world that seem to stem from thinking that goes beyond what a 5-year-old should be able to think, and one for her sunny, loving disposition that makes complete strangers smile at her all the time.

To me, those are personality characteristics, and not indications that they've been "around the block."

I did read somewhere that "old" souls are more sensitive and tend to feel lonely and disconnected from the world. But that just seems like someone else's idea of what an old soul is!

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaz View Post
There was just something about her. She came into our world so calm and at peace, satisfied, just "knowing."

LOL!!

Ok, so I think much of this really is just gut feel. It's not like there is a formal definition out there of old soul.

Very different than my others who I both believe are gifted too.

Tammy

Oh my gosh, mine is exactly like this. She was very tempermental and high needs as a baby. I always just KNEW that she was frustrated with not being able to do things, crawl, sit, walk, talk, etc.

Also, in my post-partum haze I remember thinking 'this one could take care of me if I needed her to. Wait, what? That's ridiculous!'
Old 02-13-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachma View Post
This child became anxious, worried, perfectionistic, compulsive, insecure (yet strangely egotistical) as he grew up. (He's seven now.) And so to me, that's not old soul-ish at all.

Ah, now see... this is where they depart.

That is my oldest.... who at 5, who is very perfectionistic, compulsive, insecure, etc....

I think 'old soul' is something one recognizes when one sees it, sort of thing. I don't know that I subscribe to it, BUT it's like she was/is trapped in this little body.

So an old soul is either someone who acts older than his/her chronological age, or wants to do things beyond the capabilities of his/her chronological age? That'd include almost every kid, I'd think.

With dd#2... it's more than that, and I don't think that includes every child out there. Ds, at 13m, sure wants to do everything beyond his capabilities, but doesn't come across as an old soul.

I think it's hard to define, which is why you are getting different definitions... I've had people comment on her and the old soul thing too. At six months, we were having to watch what we said around her.

Here are some interesting things to read, but again... keep in mind all of this is just one perspective.

http://www.michaelteachings.com/old_soul.html

If I go by this, then no, I would absolutely NOT classify dd#2 as an old soul... but on the flip, I'd say it's been apparent since birth that there was a far, far older soul trapped in the body of a baby.... and that baby was NOT happy about that.

Tammy
Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yes, in fact I've used that very phrase ("old soul") to describe my dd many, many times.

I'll give an example. When she was 4, she picked up a dollar bill, read it, and asked, "Why does this say 'In God we Trust'? Not everyone believes in God.'"

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachma View Post
My daughter is. My son is absolutely not. He's like the newest soul around! Both are gifted.
That is the exact same with my two.

I've never really said anything about my 'old soul' opinions of my DD, but everyone else does. Even strangers comment. My favorite was something along the lines of..."Those eyes, it's like they've seen far more than mine ever will."

That quote is exactly as I would describe it.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:13 AM

My third child was the first one that I saw this in.

She just seemed to have an innate wisdom...you know how they say people get wise with age..she just seemed to have been born with it.

She still is. She's just so sensible, so wise, she just "knows" and she shouldn't know yet.

My 4th...not so much.

All my children are bright but my 3rd and 4th are likely gifted.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 PM

People used this term a lot to describe my DD when she was a baby. We also get "indigo" from time to time. She has huge, very blue eyes, though, and has had an alert and penetrating gaze since birth. I think that's a part of it, and in a way it's just a facial feature.

Her baby brother (7 days old!) has the same eyes and gaze. He was born in the water and came out with his eyes open and looking around (while crowning). The midwives are still talking about it. I guess it's unusual.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Most everyone commented on my firstborn " little old man". He just seems like he has done this all before. It seriously pisses him off to have to be a kid and follow all of this darn " kid protocol".

:
Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraxc View Post

Her baby brother (7 days old!) has the same eyes and gaze. He was born in the water and came out with his eyes open and looking around (while crowning). The midwives are still talking about it. I guess it's unusual.
OT, but- WOW! Congratulations!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanks, teachma! This LO has his sister's eyes and alertness but is otherwise a very different baby--extremely calm, cuddly, and mellow. We are enjoying him.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Old 02-16-2008, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess I'm not really clear on what's an "old soul".

My mom has called dd an 'old soul' at times, and I just don't see it. Yes she likes to be in charge, yes, she spends a lot of her time pretending to be a grown up, and wanting to be like her older brother but don't all kids do this? She is super connected emotionally and she certainly "gets" social situations and people. She also is quite articulate, and so she sounds older than she is. But she's also pretty happy-go-lucky.

If either of my kids is an old soul, I think it would be ds. He was very alert from birth (this is my favorite baby picture of him - 4 days old) -- he just looks "old" here. And despite his lack of social prowess, occasionally has insights that I wouldn't expect from a child his age. When he was about 3, we were walking somewhere and came across an older stop light with "walk"/"don't walk" written out rather than the usual "hand" and "person" symbols. Ds looked at that and asked "how would someone who can't read or who doesn't speak English know what that means?" Another example: Dd was talking about being a grown-up the other day (wanting to be older), and ds said "I think being a grown-up would be really hard work."

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaz View Post
This was sooo me as a child! (And my mother too, I expect.) I'm not sure I'm an old soul though - I was just a very frustrated one until I learned to do things I screamed my way through dinner every night the summer I was 15-16 months. As soon as I learned to talk in sentences in the fall, I stopped. I certainly don't feel like an old soul now (don't resonate at all with link someone posted.) For me, it really is all about temperament. I'm easily frustrated, yet highly persistent. It's a bad combo!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
Old 02-17-2008, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by textbookcase View Post
Cambria is definitely an 'old soul' and has been since birth! She spoke very early, first words at 8 months, full sentences by one. She's excelling in preschool now. Are your gifted children 'old souls' as well?
VERY much so. So much so, that she just doesn't "get" other kids.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
This was sooo me as a child! (And my mother too, I expect.) I'm not sure I'm an old soul though - I was just a very frustrated one until I learned to do things I screamed my way through dinner every night the summer I was 15-16 months. As soon as I learned to talk in sentences in the fall, I stopped. I certainly don't feel like an old soul now (don't resonate at all with link someone posted.) For me, it really is all about temperament. I'm easily frustrated, yet highly persistent. It's a bad combo!

Oh goodness, that screaming through dinner/lunch every night fits her also. UGH.

What is interesting, though, is my ds has much of this same personality as his older sis. 13m right now. He screeched through dinner last night. Refused to say anything like all done, water, etc. We 'think' he can talk, b/c we keep 'thinking' we are hearing phrases from him, but come dinner time, forget it. I finally asked him if he wanted to sit in a chair instead, and he stopped screeching. I put him on a chair at the table with his own food and he was fine. The non-stop noise stopped, and he happily ate.

The 'interesting' part, though, is while he has many of the same temperement characteristics as his sis, I definitely don't consider him an 'old soul'. So, not sure what is up with his sister, as mentioned, she doesn't follow most those items on the link I dug up, although a few. On the flip, I've had the 'old soul' comment with her from several people before.

Tammy
Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 AM

My oldest has seemed like an old soul the moment she was born. I remember she didn't really cry. She was quiet and alert, just taking our faces in, and seemed to say, "Oh-- I've been here before."

I do not see her giftedness stemming from being an old soul, though-- I don't think the two are related necessarily. I also don't see things like wanting to walk/talk early as part of the old soul thing-- that to me seems more like personality. I see it more as a sensitivity and wisdom that "usually" only comes with age. True, for some it NEVER comes (and those old souls can come back!) but to me this is how I sense that DD has been here before.

It is funny-- I can't remember what it was DD said recently, but I asked her, "Have you been here before? Were you on this earth when I wasn't your mom?" She said no, but I wonder . . .

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Old 02-18-2008, 02:14 AM

If it's about sensitivity, and connecting emotionally, ds is.

If it's about being wise beyond years, and knowing about a part of life that shouldn't be known yet, it's dd1.

Dd2 is not, in any way.

Ds and dd2 are the gifted ones.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Very interesting thread. Did you ladies experience anything unusual in your pregnancy with a gifted child? And how was the birthing experience?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 PM

My oldest son, Jake is a regular wonderful kid. He is what's called a "crystal child".

My second child, Jillianne is my gifted one and she too walked at 9 months, and was speaking in 3-4 word sentances at her 1st birthday. She is my old soul. We didn't really have anything different with her pregnancy, but I felt more connected to her as a spirit. She would be quiet ALL day, not a movement unless she got the hiccups, but the moment she heard my husband, my stomach looked like it was alive and hyperactive! She would go crazy in there over my DH's voice- kicking, spinning, poking, twisting you name it. And this went on untill he would rub my tummy and talk to my belly, using her name! When she was born she flew out in 1 contraction and the midwife put her on my chest, she didn't cry at all, and all the lights were down and everyone was VERY quiet listening to her talk. She came out talking, not crying, but the baby babble they start at about 4-5 months old. She picked up her head off my chest, and looked at me like "Oh, so that's what you look like, where's my dad?" and turned her head back to my DH and stared and talked. He stayed with her while they measured, cleaned, and (EEEKKKK!!! I hate this) gave her that vit. K shot- she didn't even flinch or cry! She just stared at DH. She has always' just "known" what to do, say, and the way things are. She has told me that she was here before Lots of times, and that once she lived in China, and she had a different mommy. She is very physic and can sense things about people, and places. We watch tv with the volume off, and there was a comercial about this old building and she didn't know what it was, and said to me that "Lots of people died there mom, they are so sad and sick and scared! I'm scared, please don't take us there, can you change the channel?" they were showing an old mental hospital! She is my gifted child too, almost too smart, she scares me and has often made me feel dumb. She isn't quite 3 and can do a lot of the school work her 6 yr old brother does. I'm going to homeschool all the kids, so she want's to start this year, and I will let her as long as she knows there is no pressure, or expectations that she can do the work or not! It's up to her.

My 2 yr old, Jensen (aka Jenny) is also an old soul. She is very wise and also just knows how to do things. She isn't a crystal child, she's actually a rainbow child, or a warrior that is here to protect a ll the crystal children. She's huge- 31lbs 3t clothing (her sister is 31lbs 4T clothes) and she is my "Right Fighter" meaning she will fight for what SHE feels is right, to the end. You cannot tell her to do something, you must explain it, or she won't do it and will throw a fit. She also has the ability to change her body mass, for example if she doesn't want up/down she will make this face and her weight almost double. If you are trying to pick her up it feels like she's got those exercise rubberbands attached to her feet holding her in place. That's the best that I can explain, it's strange. She looks at things with this pericing eye, as though she knows what it is, how it works, where it came from, and wether or not it's dangerous. She can also look at people with the same "eye".

My fourth, Jacen is a crystal child also, I don't get that "old soul" vibe from him, but I do get the smart vibe. He's a great kid like his brother, but without all the high needs drama! lol.

I think that Old Soul is more of a feeling you get, because the kid knows more than they could ever possibly know, understands more than they should, and looks at things like "Oh, yeah! I remember how to do this!" I also don't think it's a big deal if you don't see it. It's kind of like seeing ghost's or angels- either you see them, or you dont'! I'm glad to read about so many other old souls!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:06 AM

I'd love to chime in here, and also ask a question-
Are there any mamas here with Indigo children? I am pretty sure that's what I am dealing with here. (I say "dealing" because today I am exhausted by him, depleted. Most other days I am much more loving).
My son (age 6) has been described as "gifted", an old soul, someone who has "been here a few times", etc..

He definitely falls into the category of not wanting to be a child. For the entire year that he was aged 4, he insisted that he was 20 and screamed at us when we made any reference to him being 4, or a child of any sort. (The entire year that he was 3, he wouldn't let us call him by his name, instead he insisted upon being called "Ringo"!) I laughed about the school comment in an earlier post. My son says that he doesn't want to go to any school unless it is Driving School.

I guess my hope is that there are others here who have experience with these "difficult" personalities. I realized today that I have been pissed off for much of the last 6 years, because everything (EVERYTHING!) that is not exactly how he wants things, is a challenge. I am reading "Anger and the Indigo Child" and it is a bit of a help. Anyone have any other book recommendations, or advice in general?
Thank you!

User Tag List