The obsession/OCD, anger, anxiety and gifted kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Remind me it's good.

Remind me that it's OK that he's obsessed with things.

Remind me that it's my fault for encouraging the obsession by taking him to see The Lion King in Pittsburgh.

(Background: Michael loves theater. Michael found my Lion King Broadway soundtrack, memorized it, snuck on the computer to youtube it, and created his own version. Then we took him to see it for his birthday. Now we have even more complex productions that involve maskmaking, shadow puppets, scenery, and a made-up African dialect. And I'm soooooo sick of it.)

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds awesome!

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#3 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

But loud. And a little violent.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 PM

If it helps, I think I have your ds in dd form. Times two. Endless stagings of every play they've ever seen are daily occurences. Then, they discovered a book with the plots to every ballet ever danced (or it seems that way to me) and an accompanying cd. All I can say is be really greatful he hasn't latched on to "The Rite of Spring." Yet.

Actually, I'm thinking that "The Lion King" might be a nice change of pace...LOL.
#5 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 PM

It IS good and the obsession will pass on to something else!

My ds (7) has convinced his second grade class that they should perform "High School Musical" only they are calling it "Second Grade Musical"

He, of course, is the director and the star. Sigh. Next week it will be something else.
#6 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 PM

These ALL sound good to me! My ds is currently obsessed with making paper donuts and "selling" them to his classmates during indoor recess. At least your children have some culture!
#7 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 PM

Culture?! The Polly Pockets were staging a human sacrifice and I have had to listen to Stravinsky 6 times in a row. LOL.
#8 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

We're doing Danse Macabre for music appreciation this week. For some bizarre reason this seemed to me an appropriate follow-up to last week's Carnival of the Animals. It has become the Devil's Tug-of-War and my children are now staging some Biblical mulligan stew that involves both the fall of Satan and the Crucifixion. I feel like I'm living in a really loud revival tent.

And I am cracking up about paper donuts and second grade musical.

#9 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

We're doing Danse Macabre for music appreciation this week. For some bizarre reason this seemed to me an appropriate follow-up to last week's Carnival of the Animals. It has become the Devil's Tug-of-War and my children are now staging some Biblical mulligan stew that involves both the fall of Satan and the Crucifixion. I feel like I'm living in a really loud revival tent.
That's brilliant!
#10 of 36 Old 02-27-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post
That's brilliant!
But loud. And a little violent.

#11 of 36 Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 AM

I'm sensing a theme here...
#12 of 36 Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:

And I am cracking up about paper donuts and second grade musical.

I'm thinking my second grader may want to branch out and open a donut concession at the premier of "Second Grade Musical."
#13 of 36 Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 AM

You people are cracking me up. And I can SO relate. BOTH my kids are obsessive. So - are other kids not like this?
#14 of 36 Old 02-28-2008, 01:27 AM

We have been re-living "Walking With Dinosaurs - the Live Experience" every single day for nearly 8 months. Every single FREAKING day.

DS has been obsessed with Dinosaurs since he was 4, so this on top of the general obsession. He does have other obsessions. He will occasionally shift back to drums, trains or animals but for now, and for a long time, dinosaurs.

So, let me tell you a little bit about the Mesezoic...

Truly, it's those things I love and appreciate most about DS, that drive me up a wall (and sometimes right over).

The best and support here,
Em

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#15 of 36 Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 AM

More sympathy, from me.

Here it's Bionicles. Or anything Lego. With a little bit of Star Wars thrown in.

It is pretty cool when they mix the two. Darth Maul vs. Toa Inika. Or Gardunka and the Storm Troopers. The times those figures have had!

However, I do plan to be on vacation when he starts trying to put that huge Millenium Falcon lego ship together. It's like a million pieces or something. My mother is going to buy it for him for his birthday, and I'm dreading it.

He won't stop till he completes it. Or eat, or sleep. Oh, it's going to be ugly.

:
#16 of 36 Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd View Post
So - are other kids not like this?
One of mine is, and one is not. And the one who is...actually is diagnosed with generalized anxiety and OCD tendencies! There's a definite difference, imo, between obsessing over the creation of paper donuts and obsessing about having been "poisoned" from swallowing an excessive amount of toothpaste (my 7 yo is currently doing both of these). While the latter has a burdensome impact on his life, the former only has a burdensome impact on MINE!
#17 of 36 Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachma View Post
One of mine is, and one is not. And the one who is...actually is diagnosed with generalized anxiety and OCD tendencies! There's a definite difference, imo, between obsessing over the creation of paper donuts and obsessing about having been "poisoned" from swallowing an excessive amount of toothpaste (my 7 yo is currently doing both of these). While the latter has a burdensome impact on his life, the former only has a burdensome impact on MINE!
If you got your kid and my kid together, maybe we could go halfsies on therapy. Seriously, with Michael, it was "chemicals". He totally goes into a panic freak attack worrying there are chemicals lurking waiting to poison him.

As far as if all kids do this... I posted in here because, for mine at least, I really do think it's part of the whole giftedness thing. He has the tenacity of a dog with a bone and nothing will deter him.

Just this morning he had a total flipout because I said I was going to rearrange the living room furniture. I had moved it in January, but it isn't working for me (created 5 new clutter spots) and I want to move it back. Apparently this will negatively effect the blocking of his play and I got screamed at, called names, and had things thrown at me. It took him an hour to chill out.

#18 of 36 Old 02-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Just this morning he had a total flipout because I said I was going to rearrange the living room furniture. I had moved it in January, but it isn't working for me (created 5 new clutter spots) and I want to move it back. Apparently this will negatively effect the blocking of his play and I got screamed at, called names, and had things thrown at me. It took him an hour to chill out.[/QUOTE]

:

Mine had a fit because I said inviting his whole second grade class to our house to perform "Second Grade Musical" in his bedroom was not a workable idea. Didn't get things thrown at me but the DRAMA was amazing!
#19 of 36 Old 02-29-2008, 12:24 AM

OCD runs in my family. I myself have struggled with it since I was 7. I do see signs in DS as well, however, with our lifestyle being what it is (unschooling--a good fit for DS) and my background understanding of OCD, I have faith that mostly, he's able to channel it positively.

Well, one can hope.

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#20 of 36 Old 02-29-2008, 05:26 AM

At least he's not chasing you upstairs to give you a hall pass each time you need to go to the bathroom!

Our obsession is playing school. I am the student. He's the teacher. He writes out 'lesson plans', we go out for recess. He gives me homework (and grades it)! At least I convinced him that when we're playing school that he needn't set the timer for the EXACT time that each activity lasts. (Otherwise, we'd be spending 6 hours playing school!).

I don't know if this is a gifted thing or a quirky kid thing!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#21 of 36 Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
If you got your kid and my kid together, maybe we could go halfsies on therapy. Seriously, with Michael, it was "chemicals". He totally goes into a panic freak attack worrying there are chemicals lurking waiting to poison him.
Oh, we have "chemicals" too. He oten worries about what he might have touched. Fortunately, we've kept the hand-washing to a minimum thus far, but I may have the world's most conscientious child when it comes to washing hands before meals. He does it without fail, and really, everyone's supposed to do that anyway, so I can't stop him or tell him not to. But it drives me crazy, particularly in restaurants, that he MUST wash them each time he's about to eat.
#22 of 36 Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
At least I convinced him that when we're playing school that he needn't set the timer for the EXACT time that each activity lasts. (Otherwise, we'd be spending 6 hours playing school!).

I don't know if this is a gifted thing or a quirky kid thing!
Ds loves the timer, too. He's supposed to time his reading each night, and it needs to be recorded in 15 minute increments (maybe his teacher also has OCD?!?). While reading, if he needs to use the restroom, he writes down the length of time he spent peeing so he can subtract that from the total in order to record an accurate amount!

And, to your last remark...yeah. That one's gone around and around in my head a zillion times, and I don't think I'll ever be able to tease out all the "stuff" going on with ds. But he's pretty much the coolest kid I know, when it comes down to it. So I'll take it all!
#23 of 36 Old 03-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Ds is obsessed about police. He has a huge collection of police books he reads. When we go to the library all he wants to pick out are police books. At kindy he writes books about police and talks about police. Everything is police. All he wants to play is police.He will find police officers and security guards wherever we go and talk to them until I yank him away. Police comes into everything he does. He knows every singe detail about police, SWAT and the FBI and likes to share the details with everyone he sees. It makes me crazy some days.

He isn't worried about chemicals, but making sure everything is "safe". He checks swing chains and other playground equipment, escalators, etc. to make sure that everything is safe. After having a tornado drill at school in January we had to read everything we could about tornadoes and make sure that we had a plan in case of a tornado. Even then he was checking the sky for tornadoes and worrying about them. It is just never ending.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#24 of 36 Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 PM

My almost 2 yo is obsessed with emus, wombats, puffins and eagles. I need to find some books specifically about these creatures, because we are having to resort to looking up youtube videos of them.
#25 of 36 Old 03-02-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach'smom View Post

He isn't worried about chemicals, but making sure everything is "safe". He checks swing chains and other playground equipment, escalators, etc. to make sure that everything is safe.
Yep, sounds like he could be a distant relative of my son.
#26 of 36 Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe the OCD stuff is more the heart of this all. I have mild OCD. I definitely see it in Michael. Is OCD a gifted kid thing?

#27 of 36 Old 03-02-2008, 11:57 PM

From what I have heard somewhere (no source to cite, sorry), people who are gifted are slightly more likely to be diagnosed with OCD but some of those may be misdiagnosed. It has to do with the way a gifted mind works and is not necessarily a "disorder" per se. But in our lives, it definitely has enough negtive impact so that it often feels like a disorder, even if it is just a part of his giftedness.
#28 of 36 Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

That makes sense, and reflects what I was working out in my own brain. Thanks!

#29 of 36 Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

OMGosh. He found my Beauty and the Beast soundtrack.

#30 of 36 Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
OMGosh. He found my Beauty and the Beast soundtrack.
I feel your pain. We had a Beauty and the Beast phase around here last year after they saw the stage show. It was starting to give me hives...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page