Birthday theme - ideas please? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-13-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think of DD as ultra-gifted, but she does have some areas she excels in that make for some special circumstances. She's reading anything I can and comprehends a great deal of it. She also seems musically inclined (she's doing well with violin and piano). But I'm here thinking I can get ideas for a nice birthday for her. It'll be her fifth.

Last year we did a cat-themed party, with all things cat and even a litterbox cake. We had just gotten a new kitty so this made sense.

Fast forward a year and she's reading the Greek Myths book nearly every night and I have no idea what she knows anymore. I sure never learned that stuff. But she seems interested in it (especially Hercules, she says) and is excited to find references to it in other books and references. Her interest in Greek mythology is spawned by her studying the constellations. She's familiar with about 18 now (all northern hemisphere). She and her dad are learning them together and again I'm out of the picture. Sheesh.

Since it seems to be a current interest, my first thought was a Greek Myth theme. But I'm out of my league here and don't have many ideas for incorporating this in a birthday. So I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

Other interests - violin and piano. She was in a play this spring and loved that. She adores the film "Once" and sings Falling Slowly to anyone who will listen. She woke up in tears the other day remembering a child-sized guitar we no longer have and begged for another one.

She reads voraciously. She'll read anything from Zoobooks to Smithsonian to The Economist. We're tv-free, but she does love watching David Attenborough on youtube.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-13-2008, 05:45 PM

It would be fun for everyone to come dressed as their favorite mythological being!

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#3 of 11 Old 05-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Since she's into music you could have a lyre and pan pipes.

The cake could be a temple to Athena, you could use those collumns from wedding cakes. You could transliterate her name into greek letters to write it on the cake.

Instead of paper hats or crowns you could make wreaths for everyone to wear.

For game you could hold an olympics.

Serve hummus, pita, stuffed grape leaves, bakalava, etc.

Decorate with grapes and cornacopia.

I'd love to suggest putting on Lysistrata, but most won't find it age appropriate. Maybe if she's still into greek myths when shes 16.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#4 of 11 Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I'd love to suggest putting on Lysistrata, but most won't find it age appropriate. Maybe if she's still into greek myths when shes 16.
: I read that at ten or eleven. It was one of those "Please don't take this to school" books.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#5 of 11 Old 05-14-2008, 12:05 AM

Funny I did a search for "Hercules" and found this post. My DS is also obsessed with constellations and Greek Mythology and wants a Greek Gods/ Hercules/ Pegasus/ Zeus birthday party or at least a cake theme.

I am at a total loss Especially since his friends will not get any of it, as far as I know none are interested or have been exposed yet.

For the cake, my best bet now is a regular sheet cake with some toys on top (sorry I am not a crafty/ foody type person)

I found these.

http://classictoysnyc.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1
(if the link doesn't work and gives you something weird, type "greek" in the search box)

Also Dover does some Greek myth themed coloring books
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486418626.html

This is cool too
http://www.amazon.com/Guidecraft-Tab...0730621&sr=1-1

Some cool somewhat related books
http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Sun-Ja...0730729&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Sky-Book-A...0730729&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Seeing-Stars-S...730855&sr=1-16

I don't know if these help with your party per se, but might be nice gift ideas or could give you inspiration.

Keep us posted, I'd love to hear what you do and how it goes.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#6 of 11 Old 05-14-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insahmniak View Post

We're tv-free, but she does love watching David Attenborough on youtube.

Help?
This made me laugh... DS is the same way. We are also TV free but he loves Attenborough on netflix and youtube and any other nature shows. I think our kids may be kindred spirits

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#7 of 11 Old 05-14-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas and links. I don't have much time left so I'd better get busy. I think the action figures (rock!) and the constellation book might be involved. She's an only and spends lots of time in her imagination, so the figures would go a long way. I'm sure she'd end up creating temples and Olympus in the garden while I water and weed.

Boatbaby - kindred spirits indeed! DD's a June baby too - 6/3/03.

....busy morning. Will get back to this thread again later.....
#8 of 11 Old 05-17-2008, 08:10 PM

I got my Zeus today from that web site I linked above... he ROCKS! He's going to make quite an impression atop the birthday cake along with Pegasus and whoever else we can dig up.

Pass along any ideas you come up with as you continue with your planning.
Cheers
Cindy

#9 of 11 Old 05-18-2008, 04:24 AM

Well, given her interest in constellations..... maybe you could check and see if you have a Mad Science in your area As a MS owner, our birthday parties ROCK! Many of us are offering NASA parties now and it sounds like something she would totally dig.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#10 of 11 Old 06-09-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wanted to give you an update -

The english ivy laurel was a hit, and more have been requested.
We ended up with a set of Odyssey books, Tales from the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osborne. These have been the longest lasting in terms of interest. And of course the cool thing about the set is that while she's reading one I can pick up another and try to catch up. They are quite explicit for her age, but not particularly graphic, if that makes sense. And I've gotten a bit more relaxed about what she's reading. Anyhow we're all pretty happy with the books.

The figurines were great, too. We got Pegasus, Poseidon, and Draco. I wish we'd gotten Hercules but for some reason my DP wasn't impressed with it and we skipped it. DD adores Hercules. Anyhow she works out imaginative scenarios with the figurines and they keep her fairly well entertained.

We made a Mount Olympus cake out of cut and stacked pound cake, whipped cream, hot cocoa dusting and berries. It was super yummy albeit fairly unrecognizable.

The star cards were okay, but not overly informative or useful. The star cut outs that you shine the light through actually seem to have their proportions off. Orion is just barely recognizable. I'd have skipped this.

On the whole, her birthday has been pretty educational for me. I don't have all the names straight yet but at least I'm getting familiar with hearing them. I made the mistake (?) of getting a book of Bullfinch's mythology for children, The Classic Treasure of Bullfinch's Mythology, and they are Roman gods. The book is wonderfully illustrated and has great stories in it. But now I have a whole new set of names to learn and their equivalents. The differences don't phase DD, but her mind is much more nimble than mine.

Hope that helps!
#11 of 11 Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 AM

Wow a Mount Olympus cake! Awesome! DD wold FLIP for that. I can't bake and don't have many baking gadgets on the boat, so an ice cream cake from the grocery store with Zeus, Pegasus, Hercules, and the Hydra plopped on top will have to do.

Our party is this weekend...

By the way, as far as Hercules and some of the other stories go, check out Jim Weiss's audio stories. They are incredibly well told and engaging.
http://www.greathall.com/products/1124-002.html
This Greek Myths one is a favorite and great for "quiet time" listening.

Thanks for the update... may our children meet one day and regale each other with mythology and constellations!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page