Help me with these OLSAT scores - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just my son's OLSAT scores (from last April) in today's mail. His total score is 132. Now, while that SAI places him at 98.8th percentile nationally, it seems that he is only in the 89.6th percentile related to local norms. Although this will be just one measure taken into consideration when they place in the gifted program, I imagine it will be to his "disadvantage" more than 10% of children in his grade scored higher than he did...even though his score is 132, which should help to qualify him. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachma View Post
We just my son's OLSAT scores (from last April) in today's mail. His total score is 132. Now, while that SAI places him at 98.8th percentile nationally, it seems that he is only in the 89.6th percentile related to local norms. Although this will be just one measure taken into consideration when they place in the gifted program, I imagine it will be to his "disadvantage" more than 10% of children in his grade scored higher than he did...even though his score is 132, which should help to qualify him. What do you think?
Our kids haven't had the OLSAT. Isn't that the group test? I've heard that some kids score low on it b/c of the group nature.

But is your question whether that will keep him from the program? What are the other criteria?

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#3 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 PM

It's just related to the criteria of the program. I think it would be wrong-footed to keep him out based on local norms, most programs use the 130 cut-off on a 15 point standard deviation. Some use error of measurement as well, which might take them down to 128 as a cut-off score.

I think it's interesting that your scores have a decimal point. My son's don't. They have the percentile rank, a hyphen and then a stanine score. He was 98th percentile nationally and 91st locally. I personally was wondering if that was a school-based local or a district-based local. (I should really get over myself)
#4 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamnEmma View Post
I personally was wondering if that was a school-based local or a district-based local. (I should really get over myself)
I would guess in your case that it probably is district based; however, we have only one elementary school in our district, so I think ours has to be school-based. Unless there's some broader sense of "district," like several surrounding towns combined. But I don't think so...
#5 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
What percentage score is required in your district? What percentage of children in your district are enrolled in the program?

In our district, for the full time program you need to be 97+% on the ITBS and the 97+% on the CogAT. If you just look at those numbers, that should identify less than 3% of the population. BUT, I think 4-4.5% of the district (I don't know the exact number, but DD's in grades 1-6 are currently enrolled in the full time program. So, they are obviously not held to local norms.

That said, the do place into the program based on test score. And there is a waiting list, so the people who got lower scores (therefore, qualifying on a national level, but not on a local level) are the ones who would be on the waiting list.

#6 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I just copied this off our school website. So I guess he won't qualify, unless they weigh some of the other criteria (like teacher recommendation and classroom achievement) more heavily.

Giftedness is determined by the achievement criteria as measured by standardized tests scores on OLSATs (138 or above on SAI) and SATs (96% or above in specified areas).

I am a little annoyed that 138 is the cut-off...but I guess that's what happens in a place where everyone is brilliant. Nonetheless, if our school population is so intelligent that they don't consider anything gifted til one's IQ is nearly 140, I'd think the curriculum would step up and provide a challenge for all these bright kids. And it doesn't, at least not for mine. Anyway.
#7 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 07:25 PM

Teachma, can you appeal? Is there a TAG ID process form that parents can submit with work samples and teacher recommendations? It seems like the OLSAT has not always identified kids who were gifted for a variety of reasons... maybe you can appeal?

I know on some of these tests, if a child is a fluent reader but given the 'non-reader' version (for the lower grades k-2) where the teacher reads the instruction, the fluent-reading kids often do poorly because they are reading the question on the page, and not listening to the directions given by the teacher...

I wouldn't give up... doesn't the test have a variable of 15 points or anything?

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#8 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Okay, I just copied this off our school website. So I guess he won't qualify, unless they weigh some of the other criteria (like teacher recommendation and classroom achievement) more heavily.

Giftedness is determined by the achievement criteria as measured by standardized tests scores on OLSATs (138 or above on SAI) and SATs (96% or above in specified areas).

I am a little annoyed that 138 is the cut-off...but I guess that's what happens in a place where everyone is brilliant. Nonetheless, if our school population is so intelligent that they don't consider anything gifted til one's IQ is nearly 140, I'd think the curriculum would step up and provide a challenge for all these bright kids. And it doesn't, at least not for mine. Anyway.
Amen. What a crock. They also need to get over themselves. So sorry, since he's obviously quite intelligent.
#9 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I hear you there! Last year DS was in 1st grade and the "math" was laughable (to make you not cry). I would have preferred to keep him in his neighborhood school, but they made NO attempts at differentiating math, even though there were several children in his class that could have been at least 1-2 years ahead. :

#10 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Just popped in to say that something truly amazing happened! As predicted, my son did not qualify for the TAG program this year. As is traditional for him, however, he began to display behavior problems at school. Apparently, *he* was the "squeaky wheel" he needed to be, and after some meetings with the guidance counselor and his teacher, they drew the conclusion that he should be placed in the TAG program! So...now he is being pulled out for basically one entire day every week. Funny how things sometimes work out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page