Mothering Forum banner

WWYD, trying to get dd#2 labeled in the PS

720 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  supervee 
#1 ·
My oldest, now in 3rd grade, tested into the gifted program at school. I knew she was gifted. Our school system tests on 4 areas, and you have to score 97% on 3 of the 4 tests to get in as a younger than 4th grader. I like the program (pull out 1 full day a week), and I think it really helps my dd.

My middle dd is in 1st grade. I think she is gifted too, based on some of her mental abilities as a young todler, her memory and some other traits that are typical of gifteds. I spoke to her K teacher near teh end of last year, expressing my desire to get her into teh program, and she said that she already had my dds name on a list for recommendation. In her new 1st grade class, the teacher is out on maternity leave until Nov, and there is a sub for these 3 months. I emailed her after 2 weeks of school. she said that since she was the sub, she woudl have to look into it. I have not heard back from her.

Then at 3rd grade gifted cirruc night, I found out from another mom that her 1st grader started testing last week. That means that for whatever reason, my 1st grader was not included in that round of testing.

My dd is not unhappy in her class 5 days a week. She just reads books when she finishes up early, etc. She is happy, loves school, has made many friends. She isn't bored, b/c she is having fun. So there's not "problem"... but *I* thinnk that she woudl benefit from teh gifted class, you know as somethign extra. So, here are my options.

1- Do nothing, wait for the sub or the real teacher to identify her, or even wait until her 2nd grade teacher identifies her.

2- Ask again.. either teh K teacher or the 1st grade sub. part of me thinks that if she had a real teacher, then she might not be sliping through the cracks.

3- we have parent teacher conferences (with the sub) in a month. I could ask for test scores, ect to get a better idea of how my dd "ranks" to see if I shoudl push it. And that woudl give teh sub a few more weeks to form an opinion of my dd.

4- I volunteered to do teh PTA math program in the class, which starts next week. I will get to build a rapport with teh sub then, adn also see how my dd "is" in the class... you know, if she seems right on target or not. So wait a few weeks so I can form a better opinion.

The main reason that I hesitate asking, is that I don't want to be "one of those moms" . And if she is doing just fine, maybe it isn't necessary for me to advocate for her right now. But then again, I don;t want her missing out on anything, KWIM.

If this matters, there are about 200 1st graders, and usually about 10 get in in 1st grade. So there is a good chance that she won't qualify anyway.

WWYD? TIA!

See less See more
#3 ·
I would be direct with the substitute.

"Ms. S, I believe my daughter would benefit from and be a good fit for the gifted program. Ms. R indicated this to me prior to her departure, and my older child is currently in the program. I understand that a testing round has commenced, and while I recognize that we may be too late for that round, I'd like to get the ball rolling to get her into the next one. What do we have to do next to make that happen?"

IME with schools, where they are busy and chaotic with myriad pressures and issues, direct, clear and to the point is best. Then, they can deal with your issue and move on to their next task.

#4 ·
Ok, I "spoke" an hour too early... when dd got off the bus today, she had her referral letter for testing
:. Her K teacher and the sub are listed on the form as recommended her. So thank you for the suggestions.... I hope they are able to help someone else!

I had to sign the form that allows the school to test her. for my older child, it took about 3 weeks to test and get the results. If my middle child does not get 97% or higher on 3 of the 4 tests, she will not be labeled as gifted, and can not test for 2 more years. But at least I will know where her strengths and weaknesses are. Thanks again, and wish her IQ testing luck

#5 ·
Awesome, good luck to her for a good testing day!

I did not know until I started researching that our system had a gifted coordinator at each school. We are meeting directly with the gifted coordinator to fill out forms, etc. (DS has already been tested, but I think she could also sign him up for testing then) since he is new at the school and doesn't know any teachers to recommend him. Just an FYI to check for that kind of coordinator if anyone else has a question like this.

#6 ·
Dd has been testing for the last 3 weeks. I got her letter today that she is in. I've very excited for the extra enrichment that her school offers for gifted kids. Now I have 2 in the program, and I am very excited about it. TFR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.