What is normal vs gifted? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2-yr-old son seems advanced to me, but I really don't know what qualifies as advanced for a 2-yr-old.

He knows his alphabet, he can count to 10 on his own, he's been finishing "age 3+" puzzles since he was just over a year old. He makes patterns (red block, blue block, yellow block, repeat...). We are reading age 5+ books to him, and that still doesn't always satisfy his book addiction. We go through at least five books at bed time, and easily three times that many over the course of a day. He will finish the sentences for us on books that we've read him several times.

He also has been potty trained since 21 months, and will put his seat cover on the toilet by himself, climb up, and go on his own without asking for help. (Don't know if that's relevant or not?)

Also, I am a violin teacher (Suzuki Method). My youngest students are 3 years old. My son, at 2, has been asking for his violin and is now easily able to hold it properly, form a proper bow hold, and keep the bow straight on the E string. We didn't intend to start him on his violin until at least 3, maybe 4, but he asks for it all the time and has shown that he is capable and enjoys it. I've got 4 and 5 yr old students who struggle to do the things he can do!

My son can find Waldo in the "Where's Waldo" books, and also will take the time to find other objects in the pictures when asked (for example: "Can you find a man with a cello?").

These are just some examples that come to mind - he is definitely capable of much more. I just wonder if that is normal for a 2-yr-old, or if he's a bit more than normal?

Happy mama to L (Sept '06), R (Apr '08), R (Apr '10), and G (Mar '12)! - Homemade , Home birthed , Home schooled , Home grown

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 AM

I know you didn't mean it this way, but being gifted IS "normal."
#3 of 7 Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster View Post
Also, I am a violin teacher (Suzuki Method). My youngest students are 3 years old. My son, at 2, has been asking for his violin and is now easily able to hold it properly, form a proper bow hold, and keep the bow straight on the E string. We didn't intend to start him on his violin until at least 3, maybe 4, but he asks for it all the time and has shown that he is capable and enjoys it. I've got 4 and 5 yr old students who struggle to do the things he can do!
I know you aren't asking this, but I have an opinion...

Go ahead and teach him to play the violin if he wants it. Don't let plans and intentions you made before you got to know your DS get in the way of who he is now. I certainly hadn't intended to send my DS to a Montessori preschool 3 days a week at 2 1/2, but he really wanted and needed it, so I did. The plans you made were based on other children that you've taught, not based on the child you have. Follow your child, not your plans.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#4 of 7 Old 10-30-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Go ahead and teach him to play the violin if he wants it. Don't let plans and intentions you made before you got to know your DS get in the way of who he is now. I certainly hadn't intended to send my DS to a Montessori preschool 3 days a week at 2 1/2, but he really wanted and needed it, so I did. The plans you made were based on other children that you've taught, not based on the child you have. Follow your child, not your plans.
I have been teaching him when he asks for his violin. We aren't doing anything incredibly structured, I just follow his lead and get it out when he wants to play it. So far this is working really well, as at 2 he doesn't really have the attention span for full lessons. I LOVE that he WANTS to play violin, and so young!

:

Happy mama to L (Sept '06), R (Apr '08), R (Apr '10), and G (Mar '12)! - Homemade , Home birthed , Home schooled , Home grown

#5 of 7 Old 11-01-2008, 06:04 PM

My 20 month old is similar in her development, it seems, to your LO. Lots of people tell me how smart she is (which gets pretty obnoxious actually)... but I figure I'll just wait it out and follow her lead. It's not like I'm going to change the way I parent her whether or not she is gifted anyway I figure.

He sounds very smart- I would just continue following his lead like you have been doing and watch him flourish!
#6 of 7 Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 PM

My daughter has been deemed "gifted" by her school, but she wasn't doing any of those things at 2 or even 3, but she was advanced in other ways. It does sound to me like he is doing many things that most aren't at his age.
So, he could be gifted in certain areas or maybe just advanced for his age, but others will catch up eventually. I don't like labels, so I don't use the term gifted much. Sometimes being called "gifted" is a lot to live up to.

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
#7 of 7 Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 PM

www.pbs.com has a great child development section that talks in detail about normal development. I like it because it says things like "at this age, most 3 year olds can recognize a few letters of the alphabet, 10% will know almost all of their uppercase letters."

www.hoagiesgifted.com also has some pretty good lists that can be helpful.

Feel free to come here and chat about your childs amazing abilities! We will enjoy hearing about your journey!

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page